ESPN America (Part 2)

Comments

• Ceejay1Ceejay1 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Artie Ziff wrote: »

Eurosport 2 also showing Michigan @ Notre Dame :)

I noticed that too. Last year they had a game each week from the new Big 10 Network - usually highlights on delay or JIP - mainly with awful commentary by Mike Carlson instead of the US commentators.

I didn't see whether they showed a game in week 1 - but they do have highlights of Notre Dame vs. Purdue on Friday night at 10.00 pm on Euro 2, plus the (next day) Saturday Notre Dame - Michigan game - in EPG for 9.30pm I think - game starts at 8.30pm UK, so it will be highlights/catch up/JIP presumably.

Various interesting points:-

Both of these ND games are covered by NBC - who have exclusve rights to ND home games - which is why we have only ever seen ND away games on NASN/ESPNA. CNBC (a subsid. of NBC of course) did show ND games for a season several years ago.

Secondly...if the ND game runs beyond 3 1/2 hours, i.e. midnight UK, and is still live on Euro 2 as a result - we could have the amazing situation of 3 College Football games being shown live in the UK at the same time - ESPN UK has Oregon/Tennessee game live at midnight in addition to ESPNA games. Whoever would have thunk that!!

I think I am correct in saying that (outside of the Bowl season) this will be the first time we have a live ESPNA quadruple header of games on Saturday evening - and as soon as the last west coast game concludes, a fifth game as-live! My Sky HD+ box will be full to overload!

With 18 games on ESPNA in the first 2 weeks of the season we will have had the chance to see 35 of the 120 FBS/1-A teams (only South Carolina on twice), plus 3 more teams shown on Euro 2. Amazing choice!

Thank you again to all at ESPNA.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    It's great to see the College Football season back again.

Lets hope Eurosport 2 use the US commentary.
  • alwaysabearalwaysabear Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    As an American Football fan this season has to be the best I can remember, with the choice of College Football and NFL games being shown:D:D. Probably the only things missing are a highlights show on terrestrial TV and maybe red button games,but I cannot see them returning any time soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    the ND - michigan game is live on eurosport 2 this saturday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    After looking at ESPN's site the Michigan at ND game starts at 3.30pm Eastern time, so (assuming the listings on Eurosport's page for the schedule of Eurosport2 are listed in UK time) then it looks like the game is indeed live at 8.30pm.
    We just have to hope that Eurosport's historic lack of ability to actually keep time correctly and broadcast what the epg says is on-screen won't crop up again :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Eurosport 2 - Notre Dame game this evening. 2 things

a. Awful picture
    b. no US commentary - a big No No.

Therefore turned it off.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yvonne wrote: »

a. Awful picture

Therefore turned it off.

Have to agree, especially on the commentary. Carlson sucks at pxp.

I pray that when they air games live, they use the NBC feed.

By the way, isn't this the ESPN America thread?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Have to agree, especially on the commentary. Carlson sucks at pxp.

I pray that when they air games live, they use the NBC feed.

By the way, isn't this the ESPN America thread?

yes, but we also talk about US sport on other channels from time to time.
    Anyway jus finished watching last night College game and NFL game. Bed or more college football?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    more football ;)
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, but we also talk about US sport on other channels from time to time.
    Anyway jus finished watching last night College game and NFL game. Bed or more college football?

More College ball.

Really want to watch Houston v UTEP but really can't stay up late.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Anyone had any email responses from ESPN America recently. They have not responded to my last 2. Maybe they have got fed up with the same old emails about picture quality. Not like them not to reply though.
    I am really looking forward to about 100 well lots of hours of NCAA football and NFL this weekend.
    See ESPN have a freeview this weekend and they are showing all those potential subscribers how crappy their HD picture is! Really thought they would have cancelled the freeview until it was fixed. It has been 3 months since ESPNA HD launched. Can you imagine if it took Sky that long to sort out an HD problem.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see ESPN have appointed a new head of operations. A guy called Ross Hair. He used to work for Sony Pictures Television. Here is hoping he can rapidly get to the bottom of the picture issues with both the UK HD channels and have them back to what they should be. Truthfully programme wise there are no real issues to be sorted with either channel!

NitaJez - no email responses to me either. I also can not believe they have done the freeview without the issues being rectified. Watched a bit of the Bundesliga game and SPL game today - they are not even in HD even though the EPG says so.

Tonight - tough call. College gameday, then SC game. Will record Eurosport game (but probably not watch it unless Miami Ohio St becomes one sided which I dont think it will). Then Penn State game and record Tennessee. Hopefully watch that without knowing the score!

Last weekends college games incl 3 great ones and I think this weekend will be even better. Boise State - even though it was a great game, I am sure they are soon going to fall from number 3 once they are off the national tv stage and play the lesser teams. Think Ohio may struggle a bit tonight. Alabama will win by 17 I reckon. Georgia .v. SC - not too sure!

Sleep, NFL countdown etc etc. Thank goodness the weather is not great this weekend.
  • bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

a. Awful picture

Therefore turned it off.

agree, just checked and no us commentary so i have cancelled the record.

like him in the studio but not commentating, to be fair to him i wont watch or listen to any us sport that does not have the original commentary.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to packerbillys comment.I hope they do sort the HD picture quality out its so bloody annoying.And with the english football and spl last year sky were doing the filming etc and the pictures were perfect now they have someone else in the picture is all pixels like the old setanta days.I will give them a month and if its not sorted by then although i like the U.S sports i might cancel as its driving me nuts:D
  • Ceejay1Ceejay1 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I was correct in my earlier post - with the Eurosport Notre Dame game running well beyond midnight, we had 3 live College Football games on at the same time with the ESPNA and ESPN - surely a first in UK?

I merely dipped into the ND game - Carlson's commentary was cringeworthy, and I don't understand why they don't follow the same procedure they do with Motor Sport - i.e. keep the original commentary, and have the UK talkover just when the USA is going to adverts. Looks like Euro have all the ND home games as Carlson said next Euro is in 2 weeks time.

ESPNA don't any have anything to worry about unless you're a devout ND fan who can put up with the crap commentary, or maybe turn it down!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ceejay1 wrote: »
    ESPNA don't any have anything to worry about unless you're a devout ND fan who can put up with the crap commentary, or maybe turn it down!

Set the PVR to have a several second delay and listen to radio commentary?
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost time for Sunday NFL Countdown. I was really looking forward to it, now I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand the sight of Boomer Berman's new tash for two hours! :D
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    Almost time for Sunday NFL Countdown. I was really looking forward to it, now I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand the sight of Boomer Berman's new tash for two hours! :D

Disappointing. No tash!!!

Seriously, fantastic to have Sunday NFL Countdown back. I really missed it the last few years.
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delenn wrote: »
    Disappointing. No tash!!!

Seriously, fantastic to have Sunday NFL Countdown back. I really missed it the last few years.

I guess all the jokes on the net over the past few days made him shave it off. Either that or he didn't want to hear people shout things like 'Cannonball' everywhere he went.

For anyone who didn't see I feel obliged to post a link to it in all it's Ron Burgundy glory

www.awfulannouncing.com/2010-articles/september/chris-bermans-mustache-is-kind-of-a-big-deal-people-know-it.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a devout Irish fan and I could'nt listen to that awful commentary last night, I muted the sound and relied on an online feed which thankfully helped me through.
    I've subscribed to Pontel for my Irish game fix until such time that they use the US commentary on Eurosport.
    As for ESPN, HD issues aside, we are in 'Football Heaven' at the moment with all the College match ups and now NFL Sunday Countdown and then Monday Night Football.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Watching the college football on ESPNA in HD on Saturday evening, flicked over to see what the game looked like it, and as people had predicted Eurosport had botched the Mich-ND game by adding the Mike Carlson commentary for some stupid reason. :mad:
    Wasn't too much of a disaster tho because whenever there was a score they went over to the studio and showed it glorious(ish) HD, and at half time there were good highlights. :)
    I know it's money in the pocket for Mike Carlson, but I can't seriously believe that he would sit at home and watch a game with duff commentary on it so why he thinks it's ok to do it to others is beyond me :confused:
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only explanation I can think of is that Eurosports ND deal doesn't include the rights to use the NBC commentary and that its cheaper to employ Mike Carlson than it is to buy the rights. I'm not going to criticise Mike for earning a living and making a decent go at something pretty difficult- if he didn't it might be worse!
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    if he didn't it might be worse!
    College Football commentary by Carlton Kirby, or maybe Mike Smith. On second thoughts, perhaps Mike Carlson is ok.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Watching mlb right now.
    Mlb.com feed (never seen it before) and definitely not hd
    But the grass is ok !
    LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this been mentioned but Tony Reali has confirmed ATH to be broadcast in HD from Sept 27th. Given they share the same studios as PTI I'd expect that to be in HD too.