Why do The Sun & Mail enjoy sucking Cowell's love muscle?

Comments

• Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the hold Simon Cowell has on the British media is extremely sinister. There's nothing the right amount of money can't buy.

It is sinister. He never has bad press, ever. His whole lifestyle is very odd, and anyone else who had a "harem" of ex girlfriends around them would be seen either as strange or a laughing stock

The media are simply feeding his narcissism.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is odd the way that Simon Cowell gets away with everything. He is never criticised by the press, they just constantly fawn over him, no matter what he does. You can only conclude that a lot of money is changing hands somewhere along the line.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion about Simon Cowell is I don't think his relationship with the mother of his baby is real.

There's something about the Michael Jackson about Cowell.

I'd lay a bet Cowell's relationship with this woman will be ended in 12 months.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliantly piece of writing OP but I feel quite dirty and sordid now.

Tragically I looked at the pictures this weekend and felt really happy for SC. Like he had found the meaning of life and something his money and narcissism couldn't buy. That his precious little boy had suddenly given his life clarity and peace and that he might just 'love' Baby Moma' Silverman or at least fall in love with her now she's given him the ultimate gift and that probably he would do the right thing and keep this loving unit together for the sake of Baby's future.

Then I read your piece and realised that I had been done up like a kipper by the media, and that my thoughts were my hopes and dreams for him and are probably not his. :(:(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    Brilliantly piece of writing OP but I feel quite dirty and sordid now.

Tragically I looked at the pictures this weekend and felt really happy for SC. Like he had found the meaning of life and something his money and narcissism couldn't buy. That his precious little boy had suddenly given his life clarity and peace and that he might just 'love' Baby Moma' Silverman or at least fall in love with her now she's given him the ultimate gift and that probably he would do the right thing and keep this loving unit together for the sake of Baby's future.

Then I read your piece and realised that I had been done up like a kipper by the media, and that my thoughts were my hopes and dreams for him and are probably not his. :(:(:(

That is exactly what you are supposed to think when you see those photos;-)

I really hope being a parent does change him, but won't hold my breath. He's become egotistical, vein and horribly narcissistic in recent years. Or maybe he was always like that and I was just sucked in by the media spin? I suspect the latter. The thing it's hard to gage how the public really feel about Simon because media coverage is nearly always overwhelmingly positive and fawning over him. If we were to believe everything the press say then he is some kind of Messiah loved by everyone. If you were to go out into the street and ask ordinary people what they think of him I suspect the viewpoint would be slightly more balanced.

I always think that the best place to look is on forums like this one and on social media. Look at the comments under articles about Simon on the DM website, there is always a lot of negativity directed at him. He's not as loved and adored as the bum lickers in the press would have us think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed Vodka.......on the rare occasion that DM don't moderate articles about him the comments section is very revealing and often hilarious reading. Mind you their articles had been less fawning prior to baby's arrival. I do recall an article about recent house renovations with the killer line about their being 'significantly bigger closets being installed' making me giggle.

I just felt a bit sad that I had been so manipulated by the press this weekend. A baby should be about joy and new beginnings not cynicism. :(
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    When there is an x factor 'exclusive' if they suck up to cowell now, then hopefully he'll return the favour.
  • maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is friends with the Murdoch's;-) (Rupert Murdochs daughter i think) so that will help he owns most of the rags, ITV, Sky to name a few not including most of the channels in the US like Fox etc, so he does not have to worry about anything negative "coming out"...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maureens wrote: »
    He is friends with the Murdoch's;-) (Rupert Murdochs daughter i think) so that will help he owns most of the rags, ITV, Sky to name a few not including most of the channels in the US like Fox etc, so he does not have to worry about anything negative "coming out"...

That might explain why The Sun seem to adore him and The Mirror less so then ;-). Not that the Mirror are critical either, but they are a bit more balanced in their reporting of Simon.

As we all know Uncle Max's trial is coming up soon. What will happen with Simon's PR if the outcome isn't as positive as the other recent high profile trials have been?

I also don't believe the press are as interested in the X Factor as they were a few years ago due to waining public interest, so I'm not sure I buy the idea that they suck up to Simon purely because of that.

I fully expect Simon to attempt to whip up a hate campaign against Doctor Who this year if the BBC put it on at the same time as The X Factor, which they are expected to do. Not that it will work as the Whovians are devoted and there are many of them, but Simon is a narcissist and that is what they do. Much like he did with The Voice and attempted to do with Strictly. The need to be top dog is far too great for him, he can't handle healthy competition.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    Simon Cowell has the most successful PR guy in the business working for him...enough said, really:)

Max Clifford's got talent. He can even cure homosexuality :p
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Mrs BBV wrote: »
    I do recall an article about recent house renovations with the killer line about their being 'significantly bigger closets being installed' making me giggle.

:D:D:D

While I believe the baby is his, everything else about the whole situation just screams fake. And I doubt it's a coincidence that little Eric was born around the same time as his daddy announces he's returning to X Factor.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • TbellTbell Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I don't like the way people around him seem almost afraid of him.
    How much power can one man have, for goodness sake! Sinister is a good word for him, imo.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Simon enjoys the attention no matter how negative it is.
  • ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done my best to avoid the pictures of the tax dodge- sorry, heir to the throne- sorry, cherished baby. I feel deeply uncomfortable that the little tyke's barely had chance to draw breath before he's being hawked around the media. Do any of these photos happen to feature the rentawomb- sorry, devoted mother?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValW wrote: »
    I've done my best to avoid the pictures of the tax dodge- sorry, heir to the throne- sorry, cherished baby. I feel deeply uncomfortable that the little tyke's barely had chance to draw breath before he's being hawked around the media. Do any of these photos happen to feature the rentawomb- sorry, devoted mother?

Well to be fair all pictures released have been done via social media and not via negotiated magazine deal. Got to keep all the media happy and onside eh Simon?

What is interesting is 'rentawomb' and Daddy took baby home to the St Regis I'm guessing because of the penalty clause in 'rentawombs' divorce settlement re. Daddy having no contact with his stepson-elect for one year. Seems a bit cheap to me, just pay the 50k penalty which is the price of a couple of the Tom Ford top of the range handbags she's so fond of or a week at The St Regis and get all the 'family' together? We know they have rented an apartment in NY so why not go there? Now that is most odd. :confused:
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Vodka mentioned on the Teflon thread last year that this initial Lauren shebang coincided with Simon's US promo and now shazam, the baby's arrival coincides with another dreary X Factor slog for the UK with an explosion of uber-fawny attention in the UK press. That's some timing.

And what's with David Walliams? He (or his press office) lurches wildly from hints and innuendos one minute to eulogising, sycophantic overtures the next.

They get odder by the week.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,933
    Forum Member
    Why are the photos of father and son in black & white, is to make it look like they weren't taken by a professional or because the colour versions are for publication?

And the photos of the proud parents leaving the hospital, the message seems to be Simon's a father not that they are parents together.

Do his close friends live on a diet of TV soaps where someone changes character overnight because the scriptwriters have thought of a new storyline. Within days of the pregnancy and his sordid affair surfacing he was said to be a changed man, now within hours of the child's birth we are told contrary what's gone before he's morphed into someone who's been waiting all his life for a child.

I expect to be told by those suckers at the Mail & Sun the passed 12 years has all been a dream accompanied by Cowell stepping out of a shower.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    I expect to be told by those suckers at the Mail & Sun the passed 12 years has all been a dream accompanied by Cowell stepping out of a shower.

I wouldn't say they're suckers (unless you mean it as an alternative insult, lol), more very pro. liars where they need to be and legally watching their backs.

O/T example but the Mail tried to tell us (with a totally straight face) today that actress Kirsten Dunst went to a noisy female strip club in New Orleans (cellphone footage courtesy of TMZ) for:
    'a quiet drink'

was
    'sitting awkwardly with pals as they are surrounded by exotic dancers'

and:
    'It certainly didn't to be [sic] the environment that the Spider Man actress had anticipated.'

followed by:
    'Perhaps Kirsten didn't realise she would be sitting so close to the action on the stage'

Of course not. The fact it's called Rick's Salon and has a stage for strippers wouldn't give any clue? Maybe her 'pals' blindfolded her though.
    'Still, Kirsten did oblige when it came to 'making it rain' and gave around $1,000 to the dancers according to TMZ...'

The winning chestnut:
    'and came back the following night'.

Whether this story is true, false or embellished to be more than it is, the Fail know exactly what they're implying and how to do it using slyness and coyness, pulling a who me? expression as they try to drum up moral consternation.

But with Simon I sense they're on a whole other level, even though they do employ the same tricks with him in their stories sometimes. The Sun is just a kiss-ass, end of story, lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    I think Vodka mentioned on the Teflon thread last year that this initial Lauren shebang coincided with Simon's US promo and now shazam, the baby's arrival coincides with another dreary X Factor slog for the UK with an explosion of uber-fawny attention in the UK press. That's some timing.

And what's with David Walliams? He (or his press office) lurches wildly from hints and innuendos one minute to eulogising, sycophantic overtures the next.

They get odder by the week.

I'm amazed they allow David Walliams to say the things that he does on BGT to be honest. Maybe like Louis Walsh he knows where the bodies are buried?;-)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed they allow David Walliams to say the things that he does on BGT to be honest. Maybe like Louis Walsh he knows where the bodies are buried?;-)

I think it's a double bluff and Simon saying to the world 'hey, I'm so heterosexual and at ease with myself that I really don't care that Walliams is making all these innuendos'.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is amazing how Simon's PR image has transformed within a year. I think that biography did some damage; it portrayed him as a womaniser (whether true or not) who seemed to play women off one another for his own amusement. Now look; a year on, he's a family man. I wonder what he was thinking with that bio and whether it had the desired outcome. It certainly gave him headlines. As others have pointed out, it's surprising how much Lauren featured in that book with her quotes and opinions about Simon (and even her own personal photographs) whereas her husband and other close friends of Simon's featured very little.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,933
    Forum Member
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    It is amazing how Simon's PR image has transformed within a year. I think that biography did some damage; it portrayed him as a womaniser (whether true or not) who seemed to play women off one another for his own amusement. Now look; a year on, he's a family man. I wonder what he was thinking with that bio and whether it had the desired outcome. It certainly gave him headlines. As others have pointed out, it's surprising how much Lauren featured in that book with her quotes and opinions about Simon (and even her own personal photographs) whereas her husband and other close friends of Simon's featured very little.

Page 6 of that book...

"We've got commitment phobia,' Paul McKenna concluded about their common resistance to permanent relationships and children."

Same page Simon Cowell on women...

"I'm attracted to certain personalities who are difficult to control, so there are tantrums, tears and fights, which is all part of the drama....Every girl wants to be number one, they're very territorial. I like the fight because otherwise I'd have a dull group of girlfriends.'"

His own mother warned Terri Seymour she was pushing too hard for marriage & kids. All of sudden it's all change.
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Max Clifford's got talent. He can even cure homosexuality :p

Tee hee.His 50th birthday party sounded fantastically camp. The only thing that's upsetting is if he is genuinely conflicted about his sexuality, but it doesn't come across like that. To me he seems quite at ease with himself but happy to treat his public with contempt by providing this ludicrous set of cover stories. If someone wrote a book with all this as the plot you would think "no way are people stupid enough to fall for that".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clifford seems to have given an interview of sorts with the DM today talking about Silverman's divorce settlement and how hard it is for Simon that he can't go near Silverman's other son.

Whilst I agree that it doesn't seem practical - I don't think it's right that Cowell and co have chosen to publicly air this again (with direct quotes from Clifford). I think they should keep it private and deal with it privately.

It also goes into detail about how Simon won't be near his son due to working commitments and they don't know how to work around it. I'm not sure what he was realistically expecting to happen?

Interestingly, it mentions that a possible reason there's no sign of wedding bells is because the happy couple can't agree on the pre-nup conditions