Bid TV in trouble - can't pay suppliers, staff

Comments

• Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    This in the Mail on Sunday today!

Mail On Sunday
    Shopping channel operator Sit Up TV will ask its creditors next week to agree to a deal to write off its debts and allow it to continue broadcasting. The operator of channels Bid TV and Price Drop TV, once promoted by former Bargain Hunt star David Dickinson, was acquired in December after losses racked up amid growing competition from the internet. Paul and Val Wright, who launched rival channel Ideal Shopping, have pledged to invest £6million into the business if the restructuring can be completed to settle debts of around £68million.

What a strange choice of phrase "once promoted by former Bargain Hunt star David Dickinson", considering he has been broadcasting on ITV almost continuously since 2006. It's as if the Daily Mail want to link the failure of Sit Up TV to the BBC. Wonders will never cease.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I sometimes put Peter Simon on when he starts off with his poor Larry Grayson tribute.
    I have never seen the logic in using a service that has £7.99 postage no matter what is ordered. Unless its something very expensive, which doesn't happen very often on these channels.
    Anyone recall Jane Shilton women's watches? A few years ago they kept on selling this brand of watches several times a day and almost all the time, no matter what watch, the price went down to about £4 to £6, with the actual packaging costing more than the product. Time and again for ages these watches came along and went for cheaper than the P & P and I simply failed to understand how this brand could possibly want its image to be so tarnished in this way and made to become essentially worthless.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been in Poundland before. Yes they sell a lot of tat but they are good for things like toiletries as they're cheaper than the supermarkets. What do you mean by the usual tat nobody would want?

Sorry to sound like an anorak :D but keep an eye out for other bargain shops like Home Bargains, B & M, Wilkinson etc... Poundland is ok for some things - but watch out for their pack sizes when comparing to supermarkets - sometimes think you're getting a bargain but it's a smaller size pack! I sometimes fall into the trap that "because it's only a £1 it must be cheaper" - another example is £1 for Colgate toothpaste in Poundland - almost identical pack - same size (100ml but South African imported version) is 59p in Farmfoods!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Sorry to sound like an anorak :D but keep an eye out for other bargain shops like Home Bargains, B & M, Wilkinson etc... Poundland is ok for some things - but watch out for their pack sizes when comparing to supermarkets - sometimes think you're getting a bargain but it's a smaller size pack! I sometimes fall into the trap that "because it's only a £1 it must be cheaper" - another example is £1 for Colgate toothpaste in Poundland - almost identical pack - same size (100ml but South African imported version) is 59p in Farmfoods!! :)
    Just can't get enough of good deals. Everything counts, and I'm always looking to get the balance right. Retailers and manufacturers should operate a policy of truth with consumers, and not have them down the barrell of a gun over product prices and size. It's no good taking packet sizes at face value, and I always meticulously read weights and measures even if packets look the same visually. People are people and most just presume if it looks the same it is. In terms of master & servant it is the consumer who is the former and the manufacturer/retailer who should be the latter. I feel you understand this like me, but many don't and are easily cheated or hoodwinked. The retail world in my eyes is always a place to tread warily. It is also time that they stripped down a lot of packaging and shake the disease that manufacturers have for making goods look more than they are in many cases. See you Mr Sirs. ;-)
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Just can't get enough of good deals. Everything counts, and I'm always looking to get the balance right. Retailers and manufacturers should operate a policy of truth with consumers, and not have them down the barrell of a gun over product prices and size. It's no good taking packet sizes at face value, and I always meticulously read weights and measures even if packets look the same visually. People are people and most just presume if it looks the same it is. In terms of master & servant it is the consumer who is the former and the manufacturer/retailer who should be the latter. I feel you understand this like me, but many don't and are easily cheated or hoodwinked. The retail world in my eyes is always a place to tread warily. It is also time that they stripped down a lot of packaging and shake the disease that manufacturers have for making goods look more than they are in many cases. See you Mr Sirs. ;-)

Excellent. ;-) :D

Might I add:- For far too long discount retailers have been the subject of blasphemous rumours amongst the paying public, but savvy firms would do well to concentrate on exceeding customer expectation. The last thing a successful store wants is a customer to leave in silence - complaining to others before complaining to them. Some disgruntled customers may decide to give the retailer another chance, they may take the view that the store should "never let me down again". A successful retailer should never dismiss this opportunity as useless.

All customers are precious, and so there should never be a fragile tension between retailer and consumer.

:cool: :D ;-)
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good, these channels are TV at it's worst
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I used to go to Wilkinsons a lot in the past. Went in there a few months back and walked straight out again. The amount of cheap and useless tat was unbelievable! Thanks for the tip, I'll watch out if I ever go in there again :p
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently something's happening on bid tv tonight from 10pm. Some have been calling it a re-launch.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    If they're about to go bust, a revamp now will be too little too late - and a utter waste of money that should be going to their creditors!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    With the lack of profit and dwindling target market, it was bound to happen. They didn't have enough turnover to pay all their fees for a long time. Shame, because it was good for a laugh occasionally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent. ;-) :D

Might I add:- For far too long discount retailers have been the subject of blasphemous rumours amongst the paying public, but savvy firms would do well to concentrate on exceeding customer expectation. The last thing a successful store wants is a customer to leave in silence - complaining to others before complaining to them. Some disgruntled customers may decide to give the retailer another chance, they may take the view that the store should "never let me down again". A successful retailer should never dismiss this opportunity as useless.

All customers are precious, and so there should never be a fragile tension between retailer and consumer.

:cool: :D ;-)

You're competitive! :cool:

Just like these Bid & Price Drop channels think they are being when they evidently aren't really anything of the sort.

It looks like the suppliers to these 2 channels have dried up, with the goods I've seen on screen not exactly looking like any kind of quality. Maybe they will be trying to sell some dead horses later at this rate.

10pm tonight a special announcement? Is Peter Simon going to say he's seen the light and will start telling the truth about goods he describes instead of treating those watching like gullible fools, or more likely is it a last gasp attempt to defibrilate the same decaying stinking corpse that are these channels so they breathe on for a few moments longer.
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^Peter Simon selling a dead horse could be a good one 🐴

The assistants have disappeared and the low end products are indeed getting worse
    It's multiple car crash tv but entertaining to see the desperate selling

BID now spend longer on each product whether they think people tune in and out and they can shift more units

10pm tonight .....we will see 👀
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    semiminted wrote: »
    ^^^^Peter Simon selling a dead horse could be a good one 🐴

The assistants have disappeared and the low end products are indeed getting worse
    It's multiple car crash tv but entertaining to see the desperate selling

BID now spend longer on each product whether they think people tune in and out and they can shift more units

10pm tonight .....we will see 👀

How do you do those icons above? Like them.

The assistants have gone too, that is a bad sign. No Peter & Marina double act then.

You are correct. I'm now dropping in on the channel with no intention of buying (never have done anyway) but just to gaze in amazement at the state of the thing and as you say, the clear lack of quality and the evident desperation pervading the whole enterprise. Fewer than ever are fooled by it. Peter Simon's eyes almost look tragic and despondent at times, despite his attempts to prove otherwise in his demeanour.

Maybe they are going to start selling off the fixtures and fittings of the business at 10pm! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    How do you do those icons above? Like them.

The assistants have gone too, that is a bad sign. No Peter & Marina double act then.

You are correct. I'm now dropping in on the channel with no intention of buying (never have done anyway) but just to gaze in amazement at the state of the thing and as you say, the clear lack of quality and the evident desperation pervading the whole enterprise. Fewer than ever are fooled by it. Peter Simon's eyes almost look tragic and despondent at times, despite his attempts to prove otherwise in his demeanour.

Maybe they are going to start selling off the fixtures and fittings of the business at 10pm! :p

Icons are courtesy of the emoji keyboard on iPad 🌅

1 hour to go !
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Not only is it unique, not only is it technological, not only is it a breakthrough of the internet age, it is remarkable, exquisite, and quite simply astounding.
    It's a virtual Peter Simon!
    Forum Member
    It seriously looks like someone has got a green screen in their house now.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Or a Freephone number but P&P goes up to a tenner :D
  • Jolly JesterJolly Jester Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    They seem to be falling into the normal shopping channel mould. Except for premium rate phone line lol
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to be falling into the normal shopping channel mould. Except for premium rate phone line lol

Exactly,

Loved the way that guy had to explain what an item number was.

However much they may now look like QVC, QVC they most certainly are not.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long til price drop follows suit?
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »

They should have already. Same company, same finances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    semiminted wrote: »
    Icons are courtesy of the emoji keyboard on iPad 🌅

1 hour to go !

Thanks for that. No good to me then, on my newish old style laptop.

So that was it, you don't BUY with Bid anymore, you SHOP. Oh dearie me....:blush:

Such over the top forced enthusiasm from the presenter, and not even Peter Simon, the cheats.

So no counting down the items now then. I also think people liked watching the price falling, even if it was all a bit dubious and praying on the psychological aspect of peoples minds. Just another bog standard shopping channel. The calls may be just 20p a minute but I bet ordering on the phone now takes 10 minutes! Not even a nod to attempting to reduce the over inflated P & P which should have been a priority, even if it is their big money take area. I'm wondering why Price Drop didn't rebrand on the same night too. They were selling gnomes when I flicked it on briefly! Says it all.

It reeks of desperate measures. Knowing what I've now read, nobody ought to trust buying off a business in so much apparent trouble behind the scenes. The revamp is a smokescreen by the look of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the dropping price was something different from other channels even if they knew the final price all along.

Up to 14 working days for delivery, that's 3 weeks in our language, way too long to wait

Delivered by ⛵not 🚚
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    Good, these channels are TV at it's worst

Are you showing any consideration for the poor staff?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

If the price never dropped anymore, they'd just have to be called Price.