• i4ui4u Posts: 54,986
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    The BBC does produce some good daytime tv dramas

The Indian Doctor
    Father Brown
    WPC 52

At least the BBC has variation.
    ITV starts and ends with celeb led programmes and gossip.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    I did and switched away, the whole thrust of ITV1 daytime seems to have been skewed towards an ITV2 audience.
    ITV IS celebrity driven. ALWAYS WILL BE. There needs to be a total overhaul of the entire schedule and there needs to be some kind of body that looks at the schedule and has to pass a quality threshold before itv can put out the schedule. If such a body existed itv would do alot better than they doing now. At this moment in time ITV are getting away with it thanks to weak as water ofcom allowing them to do so
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I must be the only Saddo that actually LOVES daytime tv. My favourite is LOOSE WOMEN I absolutely LOVE this programme especially since Kaye Adams, Jane Moore and Nadia Sawalha returned - I'm loving the new style Loose Women.:)
  • PBarlowFan123PBarlowFan123 Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Well if ITV daytime is rubbish what about prime time?

Excluding News and Emmerdsle ALL ITV in prime time is repeats, repeat of a repeat film shown five months ago and post news repeats.

BBC1/2 all new shows in Primetime!

Yes, because BBC One definitely don't repeat Miranda and Outnumbered at 8:30pm on a Monday/Friday.
  • PBarlowFan123PBarlowFan123 Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    ITV IS celebrity driven. ALWAYS WILL BE. There needs to be a total overhaul of the entire schedule and there needs to be some kind of body that looks at the schedule and has to pass a quality threshold before itv can put out the schedule. If such a body existed itv would do alot better than they doing now. At this moment in time ITV are getting away with it thanks to weak as water ofcom allowing them to do so

Ofcom isn't 'letting them get away' with anything, because they aren't doing anything wrong.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,986
    Forum Member
    Trigger64 wrote: »
    I must be the only Saddo that actually LOVES daytime tv. My favourite is LOOSE WOMEN I absolutely LOVE this programme especially since Kaye Adams, Jane Moore and Nadia Sawalha returned - I'm loving the new style Loose Women.:)

Trigger by name, and trigger happy by nature!! :o
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,845
    Forum Member
    Do they still have David Dickenson on in the daytime?
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,845
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    I

10:25am This Morning with Richard and Judy

Somewhat better and less celebrity-obsessed than it is now.

Both being trained broadcast journos it was a bit more serious early on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Just always puzzled by the number of people on Digital Spy who seem to watch TV at least 24 hours a day! :):):)

Now that's interesting, do tell who watches TV 25 hours a day?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I was off school sick for several extended periods during the 1990s and ITV daytime wasn't significantly better then.

The schedule went something like this:

9:25am Crosswits/ Win, Lose or Draw

These quizzes I liked.

9:55am The Time, The Place

A million times better than any of its successors in terms of quality and subjects discussed.

10:25am This Morning with Richard and Judy

Somewhat better and less celebrity-obsessed than it is now.

12:30pm ITN Lunchtime News

It lost its way in the early-mid 2000s during the 'walking news' era but that aside, it's about the same, albeit a little too short these days.

From 1pm onwards it was regional. and this meant a mixture of Australian soaps of varying eras and quality, regional programmes like Gardening Time with the late Geoff Amos, who even then was well past retirement age (I believe this was shown in some other regions, though). I recall a regional cookery programme with a woman with an early 1990s style Deirdre Barlow perm and big, red-rimmed glasses, bought-in cookery like Yan Can Cook, cheap, and largely-forgotten quizzes, before a short news bulletin at 3:25pm, after which Children's ITV would start. Pre-school children's programmes were shown at lunchtime previously, with the main CITV starting at 4pm.

Things were probably a tad better in the 1980s with afternoons of snooker and semi-networked, reasonably good chatshows with decent interviewers like Mavis Nicholson (grossly under-used in the last 20 years in my view - she's still very sharp), but in general there was a lot of cheap rubbish on ITV daytime in the 1990s.[/QUOTE
    So what's your preferences now that you have returned to school.
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I did think the woman on today talking about her empathy for Katie Price was trash, she just used it as a reason to get on TV.
    Just when I, like the majority here think daytime TV is pure `Grot` you go and lower the tone even more by mentioning `Katy Price`
    I want my licence fee back!
    :o
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could equally say "Can Channel 4 Daytime get any worse", consisting mainly of quiz shows, out of their sell by date game and lifestyle shows. Its not often I defend Channel 5 but at least they usually show a film in the afternoons.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV lost it way when granada started run the channel ten years ago. I remember the days of win lose or draw,the time the place,crown court,afternoon films. Yes the daytime schedule was alot better the what is being offered. But itv cater for the shareholders and not the viewer these days. JUST SAYING

You're mixing different eras in that post. Crown Court ended in 1984. Afternoon films were much more of a fixture in some regions than others (Central were big on showing black and white/classic films in the 1980s on Monday afternoons), whereas Win, Lose or Draw didn't start until the 1990s.

I, personally think ITV hit its lowest point in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and a significant and ongoing revival started around four years ago. The difficulty of the mergers/ownership are dealt with, as is digital switchover. Yes, there are still many things that need to be addressed, but ITV's output, including daytime, compares favourably to five years ago.

Loose Women is now back to its original format and more topical in tone. I'd much prefer a topical studio debate show to Jeremy Kyle, which I'd axe completely, mainly because I think it does the channel's reputation no favours, if nothing else.

Other challenges include finding something worthwhile to replace The Alan Titchmarsh Show, and how to improve the 2pm-5pm slots, but it's getting there.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Ken Bruce on Radio 2 is far better and his audience figures probably beat all daytime channels combined. Daytime television is meant to be cheap and disposable as it's the least watched part of the schedule (apart ftom through the night).
    This is true. The two are, in fact, polar opposites. Radio starts off with lots of listeners to the various Breakfast shows then declines throughout the day (with a spike in the 4-7pm 'drivetime' shows) and then dies a death in the evening; whereas TV isn't watched anywhere near as much during the day as it is in the evening.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you ever heard of the 'free market' and 'freedom of choice' ?

Why should ITV be subject to a "quality" threshold in the way you describe ? Particularly with regard to its daytime schedule which is targeted at a specific audience.

ITV's got no shortage of good quality programmes - mainly drama - in its schedule. The BBC on the other hand seems to have endless repeats of New Tricks as its drama staple and other rubbish such as Watchdog, DIY SOS, Miranda, Holby City and Casualty endlessly cluttering up the schedules. BBC1 is worth a look on Friday night, but only for Have I Got News For You.
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but some channels like Yesterday, Dave, National Geographic and even Sky1 aren't all that different in the daytime than the evening so there must always be something to watch, then there's things like music video channels which are as good in the daytime as any other time, is the reign of terror of daytime TV over with all the extra choice we have nowadays? Who needs BBC ONE & ITV, when there's all sorts of other channels to watch, I do watch The Wright Stuff on Channel 5 however, that's a good daytime programme.

Yeah that's a fair point, when i had Virgin Media, I used to watch the US imports on Sky1 and Universal during the day. BBC and ITV are easily avoidable now obviously but it's shocking how much dross the two biggest channels in the country are willing to throw out in daytime.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never have high hopes for any daytime TV, the idea of sitting in front of TV watching the shows I know of is a very depressing one
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of the 'free market' and 'freedom of choice' ?

Why should ITV be subject to a "quality" threshold in the way you describe ? Particularly with regard to its daytime schedule which is targeted at a specific audience.

ITV's got no shortage of good quality programmes - mainly drama - in its schedule. The BBC on the other hand seems to have endless repeats of New Tricks as its drama staple and other rubbish such as Watchdog, DIY SOS, Miranda, Holby City and Casualty endlessly cluttering up the schedules. BBC1 is worth a look on Friday night, but only for Have I Got News For You.
    I can't remember New Tricks being on for several months, so hardly 'endless repeats'.

Some might not like Ann Robinson and some other presenters but I would hardly call Watchdog 'rubbish'. It is one of the few consumer programmes on TV, certainly made Audi look rather ridiculous last night.

I don't watch soaps but Casualty and Holby City seem to get healthy viewing figures so 'cluttering up the schedules'?

What do you think they should be showing?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 is better on the mornings then ITV nowadays. The Wright Stuff depends on what is being discussed through.
  • TVAddict958TVAddict958 Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Better than BBC, but all in all daytime TV on every channel is shit

I'd agree - BBC daytime really is poor, they make no effort and haven't tried to over the past couple of years. They're luck that the BBC Breakfast viewers carry on watching for the mid-morning.

I actually don't see an issue with ITV daytime programmes - Good Morning Britain is watchable and actually quite interesting, I'm not a fan of Lorraine, Jeremy Kyle is extremely popular and draws in over a million at that time every morning. I think This Morning is a great show with a huge fan base and Loose Women has been trying hard to become a bit more serious over the past few months.

It seems after the lunchtime news the schedule goes down hill, until the Chase at 5pm of course!
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is daytime programming that important to the broadcasters. The vast majority are at work and the programmes that are on during the morning/afternoon off peak are just fillers. The most important time for broadcasters is prime time between 1800-2200. All broadcasters have awful mind numbing programmes on during the day. Loose women isnt a programme to be taken seriously. It is another yawn programme that is solely interested in celebrities as is the case for most of itv programming. The BBC tends to have better programming on during the day with investigative programmes on those conning the benefit system. It would be interesting to see how some of the programming shown during the day would do if they were shown in prime time