Who's in the wrong? John Terry or the shop assistant or both?

FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Read this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630223/I-said-I-really-sorry-I-said-youre-disgrace-Shopgirl-called-John-Terry-pig-suspended-forced-apologise.html

The odious John Terry doesn't come out particularly well being a tittle-tattle neither does the shop assistant.

But I feel Ms Ram shouldn't have lost her job this way after all this furore, thanks to John. She should have been suspended instead.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Terry is an odious, irritating little ****. He's probably overheard far worse during games or said far worse. Let's not forget he was charged with racist slurs. Mocking 9/11 to cheating on his missus with his friends wife infact. Arsehole #1

However it was perhaps unprofessional of the girl, or rather, silly to make the remarks whilst he was still in the store.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Meh, I thought this was going to be about the actor who played the greatest movie hero of all time, Hawk the Slayer.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
    Forum Member
    I think if I heard a supermarket worker talking about me in a derogatory way, I would complain too. Should she have been sacked? No. But at the end of the day, she shouldn't be talking about customers in that way on the shop floor.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I find it really hard to get interested in these stories.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    Read this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630223/I-said-I-really-sorry-I-said-youre-disgrace-Shopgirl-called-John-Terry-pig-suspended-forced-apologise.html

The odious John Terry doesn't come out particularly well being a tittle-tattle neither does the shop assistant.

But I feel Ms Ram shouldn't have lost her job this way after all this furore, thanks to John. She should have been suspended instead.

I agree she shouldn't have lost her job, but she was flat out in the wrong & Terry was right to complain about her.

Shop assistants should not, under any circumstances, make personal remarks about customers, especially unprovoked ones like that. It's the height of unprofessional conduct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this scenario I think he was in the right. Obviously the shop worker should not have loudly voiced her opinion because that's not professional and it's not good customer service at all. Despite the fact I do not like John Terry, he was entitled to ask for the manager to conplain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    She totally deserved to lose her job and I don't feel sorry for her one little bit. It was a completely unprovoked attack that was based only on stuff she'd read in the papers. Terry was absolutely right to complain.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    If she had spoken about me like that i would have also called for the manager. What right does she have to comment on customers? Yes she should be sacked as she could lose the company money if she speaks about other customers in that way
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The girl is a bloody idiot. Regardless of her feelings towards him, she should have acted like a professional. If she wanted to say he was a pig, say it somewhere out of earshot. I don't like Terry at all but if I worked in a public place I would never say something like that unless I was somewhere far away (e.g: the staff room). Then she got upset & expected the company to back her after such conduct. He was justified in his reaction towards her. Stupid girl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the correct decision for her to lose her job. Think about it - even if it was just a normal non-celebrity customer, insulting them and arguing with them is gross misconduct. The customer is always right.. Even if they're technically not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling that this was one of those scenarios where she tried to impress her work colleague by speaking loudly about the issue for attention but it obviously backfired.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of John Terry but the shop assistant was completely unprofessional and in the wrong here.
    She deserved to be disciplined by her managers.
  • BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that he said she shouldn't have called him a pig while his wife was present. As if it would have been a perfectly acceptable, courteous thing to do otherwise...

Oh, unless he was just referring to the unwiseness of her comments given that it was his wife who overheard.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Terry is a wrong'un if that helps
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,737
    Forum Member
    John Terry is always wrong.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If an 'ordinary' customer had complained, would the outcome be different?
    I just wonder that.
    Not condoning her behaviour at all though, as she acted in a completely unprofessional way. But, imo, she should have been suspended.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    They are both idiots - her for saying something derogatory within his hearing and him for making something big of it.

Edit - as far as I can see from the article, she was suspended, and not yet sacked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He might be a nob but I wish he still played for England
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,983
    Forum Member
    A no brainer. The shop assistant was completely unprofessional and what happened to her was 100% her own doing. Hopefully she's learned her lesson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    If an 'ordinary' customer had complained, would the outcome be different?
    I just wonder that.
    Not condoning her behaviour at all though, as she acted in a completely unprofessional way. But, imo, she should have been suspended.
    Of course there's going to be a big reaction from the management because he's a celebrity and they don't want to damage their reputation but what she has done goes against the business and customer service so she should be sacked no matter whether she does this to a celeb or a customer who isn't famous.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,983
    Forum Member
    They are both idiots - her for saying something derogatory within his hearing and him for making something big of it.

I think he was justified personally, If I heard someone talking about me that way I would ask for their superior to deal with the situation. You simply cannot behave that way.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much to say, except I will thank you for the link which led me to find this link of Hugh Jackman playing Innuendo Bingo, which was good fun :Dhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2630048/Hugh-Jackman-gets-wet-Kylie-Minogue-giggles-like-schoolgirl-naughty-radio-segment.html
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe some of the comments in the Mail. They all seem to be on her side, and getting the green upward arrows !!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the comments in the Mail. They all seem to be on her side, and getting the green upward arrows !!!
    They're clearly all delirious.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Not much to say, except I will thank you for the link which led me to find this link of Hugh Jackman playing Innuendo Bingo, which was good fun :Dhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2630048/Hugh-Jackman-gets-wet-Kylie-Minogue-giggles-like-schoolgirl-naughty-radio-segment.html
    Now that's a great link! I have such a crush on him. :blush: