Football Commentators Thread (Part 17)

Comments

• Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Why don't you just do the same for ITV and if needs be skip the pre/post match and half time analysis?

Because it's a simple matter of principle. I have had a bad experience with ITV's football coverage in the past so i refuse to watch it. It's a bit like going to a restaurant, if you have had a bad experience with one in the past then you don't go there again.

When looking at the viewing figures for the tournament it seems as if i'm not the only person who has this stance.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you would want to score more and more.. not no more
    While possibly not taking any chances that might risk injury keeping you out of the final. Brazil have a bit of a reputation for rough tactics too, so discretion might have been the better part etc etc.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You gotta love Alan Green

"I'm tempted to say please save us from extra time because it has been torture watching."

"An apology of a football match. Abysmal."

Says it how it is.
    I think he should stick to his job of commentating, and leave the punditry to others. He should know by now that not every match is an 8 goal thriller.
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no more Dietmar Hamann on Irish TV for a while
    http://info.sky.de/inhalt/de/medienzentrum_news_pr_09072014.jsp
    Dietmar Hamann is new Sky expert

• The 59-times capped player in Bundesliga Saturdays always from 17.30 clock panel of experts at the "bwin Top Game of the Week" belong
    • Burkhard Weber: "With Hamann, Matthew and Metzelder we combine experience from the four strongest leagues the world at our table. "

Unterföhring, July 9, 2014 - The Sky receives expert team for the season 2014/15 prominent gain. Dietmar Hamann will come in his new role regularly on Sky expert table at the "bwin Top Game of the Week" is used. On the side of Lothar Matthäus, Christoph Metzelder and presenter Sebastian Hellmann he celebrates in the encounter between Borussia Dortmund and Bayer 04 Leverkusen on Saturday 23 August his debut as Sky expert.

During his 18-year professional career completed Dietmar Hamann 106 Bundesliga games for Bayern Munich, 268 Premier League Appearances for Liverpool FC, Manchester City and Newcastle United, as well as 59 international matches the national team. Following this, he was able to gain experience as a trainer in England.

Dietmar Hamann: "" It is a great task, together with Sebastian, Lothar and Christoph to analyze the top games on Saturday night I'm looking forward to the Sky viewers game systems and tactical. bring behavior more closely and to provide another perspective with my experiences in the Bundesliga and the Premier League ". Sky Sports chief Burkhard Weber: "As a former Bundesliga player and long-time Premier League player Dietmar Hamann has on both leagues the view of inside and out. We are pleased to combine the professional experience of the four strongest leagues in the world at our table on it with him, Lothar Matthaus and Christoph Metzelder. "

In the new line of Sky expert table over 256 international matches has for the German national and a total of over a thousand matches in the Bundesliga, Premier League, Primera Division and Serie A.

The three-time "World Referee of the Year" Dr. Markus Merk remains in a new role still an integral part of Sky Bundesliga coverage on Saturday. During the live broadcast on Saturday afternoon and evening he will be in the future switched live for the analysis of contentious situations and share his expertise with the Sky viewers.
  • ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fordj wrote: »
    Is Danny Murphy still in Brazil? Haven't seen him on TV or heard him on the radio for a few days. I was hoping he'd get the final but it looks like it will be the utterly dreadful Mark Lawrenson.

I would say it was Murphy who was utterly dreadful but one man's meat is another one's poison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »
    He is an all round terrible bloke and has stopped me going and listening to it on the radio as I know he will just be complaint the whole time

Green thinks a lot of himself and his opinions but is by a long chalk the best commentator on radio and has been for a long time. The problem is there is nobody else on 5 Live who can remotely challenge him. Is that the fault of those who pick these people Ingham, Murray, Overend, McNamara, Ball, Dennis, McNamara are all pretty dire, more than matching the simply dismal Wilson and Mowbray on TV.

When the likes of Pearce and Green go what will be left on BBC, just dull and anodyne.

Clive last night was pretty poor on ITV, he has now slipped into the horrible habit of saying the dreadful American kinda on a regular basis. I expect that from Wilson but Clive you are better than that.
  • clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Ingham is the best 5 Live Commentator, Green talks too much and can annoy, although since this world cup i do prefer him to Jonathan Pearce. 5 Live have a really good set of commentators which is often forgotten about. Ingham will be missed when he goes but Murray is a good enough replacement, once either Green or Murray leave McNamara will be a likely one to step in, 5 live seem to view him very highly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clever3000 wrote: »
    Ingham is the best 5 Live Commentator, Green talks too much and can annoy, although since this world cup i do prefer him to Jonathan Pearce. 5 Live have a really good set of commentators which is often forgotten about. Ingham will be missed when he goes but Murray is a good enough replacement, once either Green or Murray leave McNamara will be a likely one to step in, 5 live seem to view him very highly.

Don't like Ingham never have and Murray and McNamara are simply hype men who get excited for no good reason, often. If those 2 are going to be pushed forward on Ingham's long overdue retirement then it is only good for TALKSPORT.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »
    Don't like Ingham never have and Murray and McNamara are simply hype men who get excited for no good reason, often. If those 2 are going to be pushed forward on Ingham's long overdue retirement then it is only good for TALKSPORT.

come on, all English comms get SO EXCITED for no reason so maybe dont pick out a few, they all do it...
  • 19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Bit bemused at Cannavaro criticising Van Gaal for bringing on Tim Krul and suggesting Germany should have stopped scoring when it got to 5.

Its actually a big traditional Italian sensibility. It happens at club level on a regular basis. If one side is winning by 3 or more goals at half time then there is an invisible armistice as such. The team that's winning doesn't press on in the second half for more goals, in return for the losing team not launching an outlandish come back that could see them caught on the break for the price of a much heavier defeat.

It was the lack of Liverpool's knowledge or acceptance of this concept that shocked AC Milan so much in the 2005 Champions League Final comeback in Istanbul. As far as Italian logic went, it was game over. Why would Liverpool risk the embarrassment of a 5 or 6-0 hammering for the sake of the futile gesture of actually trying to get into the game in the second half? For the likes of Paolo Maldini, Andrea Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso, who'd been brought up with these unwritten rules of football etiquette, it made no sense. Many of the AC Milan players and coaching staff made reference in post match interviews of how "this doesn't happen in Italy".

It doesn't surprise me Fabio Cannavaro floated the concept of Germany calling off the dogs in the second half.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    Because it's a simple matter of principle. I have had a bad experience with ITV's football coverage in the past so i refuse to watch it. It's a bit like going to a restaurant, if you have had a bad experience with one in the past then you don't go there again.

When looking at the viewing figures for the tournament it seems as if i'm not the only person who has this stance.

It's not remotely like going to a restaurant. The reason matches on BBC get higher viewing figures is because more people watch BBC One in general, therefore more casual viewers are drawn in to BBC matches. I'm afraid you're probably the only person petty enough to not watch something which you enjoy out of principle. Your viewing has no impact on viewing figures whatsoever and therefore no impact on ITV. I don't understand what you are trying to achieve (you clearly are trying to achieve something as you constantly post about ITV and their off tube commentators).
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Bit bemused at Cannavaro criticising Van Gaal for bringing on Tim Krul and suggesting Germany should have stopped scoring when it got to 5.
    why would you stop scoring when you got 5, the manager, and all the players would want more i would of thought?
    Some one ask him, when he was the Italian captain and lets say Italy were 5 up inside the first 25mins against Germany, would he of told his players, come on lads don't score anymore....

Don't think so.....pathetic statement.
    you would want to score more and more.. not no more

No Cannavaro was right, thats 100% Italian football culture.

In the same way if you're the team that 4-5 nil down you effectively stop trying to preserve energy and minimize the chance of injuries etc. Whereas in England you may expect that team to "play for the 90 minutes", "show some pride" and "try to give something for the fans", In Italy this isn't the done thing. There's a bit in Gazzas autobiography about it for those that want a first hand account.

Clearly as Brits this isn't something we're used to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1974 wrote: »
    Its actually a big traditional Italian sensibility. It happens at club level on a regular basis. If one side is winning by 3 or more goals at half time then there is an invisible armistice as such. The team that's winning doesn't press on in the second half for more goals, in return for the losing team not launching an outlandish come back that could see them caught on the break for the price of a much heavier defeat.

It was the lack of Liverpool's knowledge or acceptance of this concept that shocked AC Milan so much in the 2005 Champions League Final comeback in Istanbul. As far as Italian logic went, it was game over. Why would Liverpool risk the embarrassment of a 5 or 6-0 hammering for the sake of the futile gesture of actually trying to get into the game in the second half? For the likes of Paolo Maldini, Andrea Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso, who'd been brought up with these unwritten rules of football etiquette, it made no sense. Many of the AC Milan players and coaching staff made reference in post match interviews of how "this doesn't happen in Italy".

It doesn't surprise me Fabio Cannavaro floated the concept of Germany calling off the dogs in the second half.

That happens in England as well when we had really good sides. When Man Utd and Chelsea were good they often got 2 up and then coasted.

That final was just a freak, Milan were so overwhelmingly superior nobody could have forseen what was to come. After the quick comeback they were totally dominant again but missed a stack of clear chances. It was just a one off freak game.
  • 19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That happens in England as well when we had really good sides. When Man Utd and Chelsea were good they often got 2 up and then coasted.

That final was just a freak, Milan were so overwhelmingly superior nobody could have forseen what was to come. After the quick comeback they were totally dominant again but missed a stack of clear chances. It was just a one off freak game.

There was more to that game than 'freak' occurrence. The Italian mindset was that the game was over. It's less applicable in England as the aggressor in a scenario of one team with a 3 goal lead at half time is that the winning team has no sensibility contract to ease up in the second half. They might well carry on in the second half where they left off in the first. That doesn't happen in Italy.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm intrigued as to what a "bad experience with ITV's football coverage in the past" consists of?

Did Elton Welsby kill your dog or something?
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1974 wrote: »

Sorry I didn't see this post. Sums it up much better than mine.

Yes Pirlo also speaks about your example a bit in his autobiography and how it was alien to him.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    I'm intrigued as to what a "bad experience with ITV's football coverage in the past" consists of?

Did Elton Welsby kill your dog or something?

It consists of Adrian Chiles making a joke about a fiver and none payment of that fiver. Oh there was also a 1 second loss of picture.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    It consists of Adrian Chiles making a joke about a fiver and none payment of that fiver. Oh there was also a 1 second loss of picture.

That's disappointing, I thought it was going to be something worthwhile!
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »

The phrase cutting off your nose was invented for you ;-)

Certainly if you PAID for a meal in a restaurant you have the option of taking your PAID custom elsewhere.

If you refuse to watch a match on a FTA TV channel that is not available to you otherwise the only person affected by it is you :)

Your stance would make some sort of sense if you were withholding a subscription fee.

Besides I don't believe for a second that you have decided to miss half of the World Cup by taking this principled stance.
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    I think that's very optimistic: I'd have switched off by now.

Looks like I was right! Averaged 9.7 million with a 12 million peak.
  • Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Tuesday 15 July on BBC One Scotland

KR Reykjavik v Celtic- Commentary by Liam McLeod and Mark McGhee.
  • fordjfordj Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say it was Murphy who was utterly dreadful but one man's meat is another one's poison.

Your views on commentators represent those of the minority.
  • fordjfordj Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW Steve Wilson will be commentating on the third place play off, although I can't even see a highlights package for this game on the BBC.
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Your views on commentators represent those of the minority.

What do you base that on?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,773
    Forum Member
    BTW Steve Wilson will be commentating on the third place play off, although I can't even see a highlights package for this game on the BBC.

For the BBC website maybe?
This discussion has been closed.