Options

Walsh and Thornton Ex-X Factor

Comments

• Options
    Mikey_Mikey_ Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Brand? He recently left Big Brother's Big Mouth to "pursue other projects".
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From media guardian:
    Kate Thornton and Louis Walsh are to leave The X Factor as part of a raft of changes for the next series of the ITV1 talent show.
    Thornton, the show's presenter, is to be replaced, while Walsh will no longer work as a judge - though he will continue to work with acts "off air".

There will be two new judges - as yet unnamed - joining Sharon Osbourne and Simon Cowell, creating a panel of four rather than three.

ITV is lowering the age of entry to just 14, and dividing the 14- to 25-year-olds category into one for boys and another for girls.

As with previous series, each judge will be assigned to a different category. As well as the two sets of under-25s, there will be the usual categories of over-25s and groups.

The changes announced by ITV today are the first major alterations to the format since the show launched in 2004.

"To keep the show in its number one spot, we are always looking at ways of making the format as fresh and exciting as ever and having an extra judge and an additional category will give it a whole new dimension," said the ITV director of entertainment and comedy, Paul Jackson.

"We have to keep evolving and I'm really excited about series four."

Auditions for the next series will begin in April and the show return to ITV1 in the summer.

Thornton and Walsh both left the show with messages of goodwill.

"After three incredible years, I have decided to leave The X Factor to completely focus my energy on my day job as an artist manager," Walsh said.

"I am also looking forward to continuing my work with Simon and The X Factor team managing the stars from this year's series."

Thornton said: "Presenting The X Factor these last three years has been fantastic and I truly believe I have taken the show as far as I can.

"I wish the new host every success; it will be an experience they will never forget. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to some new programmes with ITV."

The X Factor first aired on ITV1 in the autumn of 2004 and the show's three winners have been Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward and Leona Lewis.

It has been a major hit for ITV, helping alongside BBC1's Strictly Come Dancing, to revive the popularity of Saturday night TV entertainment.

So, there'll be four judges... how will the showdown go, when the judges have to pick the act to save, or do you think the new format means that this will also be scrapped?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been particularly keen on Kate but she was a competent enough presenter and didn't distract from the competitors or judges. I think the opposite of this would be Patrick Kielty on CFA. His pathetic on-going sniping with Richard Park is incredibly tedious and he seems to use every criticism of one of the contestants as a chance to have a go himself.

The main focus on a show like this is the contestants followed by the judges. A good presenter should remain impartial and just guide along the proceedings, not offer their own opinion like Patrick Kielty. I think Kate Thornton ticked all these boxes, the only problem is that she is rather bland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have a very strong feeling its going to be geri hallewell - in closer magazine recently it mentioned an article about how shed been offered a massive new job in the Uk. So i would place a bet on it being her!!!
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed41 wrote:
    I've never been particularly keen on Kate but she was a competent enough presenter and didn't distract from the competitors or judges. I think the opposite of this would be Patrick Kielty on CFA. His pathetic on-going sniping with Richard Park is incredibly tedious and he seems to use every criticism of one of the contestants as a chance to have a go himself.

The main focus on a show like this is the contestants followed by the judges. A good presenter should remain impartial and just guide along the proceedings, not offer their own opinion like Patrick Kielty. I think Kate Thornton ticked all these boxes, the only problem is that she is rather bland.

I go along with all your points Ed41.
    If Kate was presenting like Patrick Kielty I think the show would be an unstructured mess.
    The judges already bicker like children so there's no need to make that aspect of the show worse by having the presenter getting involved.

I think it was Kate's role to be almost invisible. Just to keep the structure in shape and move it on efficently at the right time. And I think her timing was very good. If some bickering was starting to carry on too long Kate would move the show on. You'd hardly notice but I think that she did a good job at doing this without being at the forfront of the chaos.

There were times when she allowed some personal feelings to show through, such as if Simon was very harsh in his comments, when briefly questioning the contestant she would raise an eyebrow or something as though to indicate that Simon's comments could maybe be taken with a pinch of salt.
    And on other occasions when the judges were acting up, she would tell Simon to hurry up or something.
    But she always had an air of impartiality and reason and was able to reign herself in and not get involved too much.
    If this was Kielty it would have just been a f*cking disaster.

There was another one-off show that Kate presented recently and several people, myself included, were surprised at how different Kate came across. She showed a personality and a good sense of humour. So I honestly believe that Kate's role on The X Factor was about how she was pitching herself and her persona in that situation was very deliberate.
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is definately the beginning of the end of the X Factor. With Phone call scandals and now this new format- I doubt we'll see a series 5.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I think Kate is much more suited for an ITV 2 show than the main one. So I'm pleased they are replacing her.

Who knows maybe Ant and Dec will take over (as they are doing Simon's BGT) or Ben Shepherd. I doubt it but it would be great.
  • Options
    scott-charmedscott-charmed Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well knowing how out of touch ITV are with what's 'cool' they'll end up getting Ferne Cotton or Davina McAll. Not that I particularly valued Thornton - she didn't really add anything.

ANYONE but Ant and Dec. Pleeeeease not them.

Kind of glad that Louis has moved on, they should have gotten rid of Sharon too. Even though imo Simon is the worst of all three - but hey, it's his show.
  • Options
    trixiehobbittrixiehobbit Posts: 4,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My initial thoughts are yay, no more pointless critique's from Louie "you made it your own" :yawn: "you owned that stage" :eek: and no more Kate Thornton bobbing her left hand up and down with an imaginary apple in it. ;)

Kate was great apart from that and its hard to think of a decent newbie - unless Cat Deeley is coming home? (American Idol I know but she may be in the running I would have thought) I really would like to see a younger judge to replace Louie. Someone who can think more uptodate than 1997 would be a start.

:D
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presenters and judge to one side, they still need to sort out the problem that the music and acts are so painfully bland.

The acts just simply don't represent current trends, so I'm not surprised that the amount of contestants who go on acheive big things is minute.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Well i am shocked an sad that they are dropping kate as i really liked her, i think that holly willboughy should replace her though i doubt she would quit dancing on ice! also as for 2 new judges, why? an as for lowering the age limit, well it is never gonna b the same!.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god for that! I can't stand Kate Thornton. She's bland and talentless. Take away her autoque and she'd be stuffed.... (like she should do with her bra... why insist on wearing such revealing dresses with absolutely no cleavage to speak of?).

As for Louis.... biased towards any act from the Emerald Isle even if they weren't particularly good and the same old predictable comments "you made that song your own" blah blah blah.... :yawn: :sleep:
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louis Walsh was the best judge. He was nice and nasty. He really loved his acts and cares about them. Such a shame...
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they would have a band category and get in someone like Gene Simmons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6432249.stm

Age limit is going to be dropped..

How is this possible when Itv show commercials to audition for this year and it clearly states entrants must be 16 or over,, surely this is misleading to people who want to audition????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Louis Walsh leaving....it's times like these when WE NEED THE HOFF!!!

Would love to see Waterman back though. As for presenting. What's next for Kate then? Will she dissappear?

We need someone experienced well to present stage shows to do it, like Matthew Kelly or Jeremy Beadle or Michael Barrymore.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6432249.stm

Age limit is going to be dropped..

How is this possible when Itv show commercials to audition for this year and it clearly states entrants must be 16 or over,, surely this is misleading to people who want to audition????

Well, following on from recent phone scams, they may already have the entrants for this series!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    End-Em-All wrote:
    Well, following on from recent phone scams, they may already have the entrants for this series!

Hey nether thought of that one!! Good one!!

They probably already got the winner aswell!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noo ... I don't want Kate to leave :(

I place a bet on her being replaced by either Fearne Cotton or Myleene Klass. ITV are looking for projects for Fearne to do because she was good on Love Island, and Myleene is like one of the most liked women in the country atm. I think Ant & Dec can be ruled out because of Pop Idol, and Takeaway running at the same time of TXF, Davina did Popstars: The Rivals. Maybe Ben will come across from ITV1? Cat Deeley can also be ruled out as she will be hosting that Dance program in America at the time.

I doubt Geri will host, but they might use her as the judge as they did with Popstars: The Rivals ... OK so maybe we cant rule out Davina ... wait yes we can because Big Brother is on at the same time as the auditions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    may be Tony Blair will be offered the host job, he always want to get on with the british public and possibly Dick and Dom for the new judges!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the series could do with some younger judges. Afterall, there are quite a lot of people who have success in the music industry who are still in their Early 20's/30's, and at the end of the day these are the sort of age group who buy the music that is making the charts at the moment.

I've always felt that especially Simon and Louis are out of touch with what's "popular" hence why the acts have faded so quickly from this show without that much lasting success.

I don't really know who to suggest though who fits this bill.

As for host - I don't know who to suggest. I've never felt Kate holds it together very well on her own, so maybe having two presenters could help that, although again I wouldn't know who to suggest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Zoe Ball. She seemed to do good when she soapstar superstar and I liked the way she presented the show, much better than Kate Thorton.

I agree about Louis going. I think it should have been Sharon Osbourne. I just can't stand her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering that Simon Cowell denied that Kate Thornton would be dropped in the same conversation that he also denied she would be replaced by Fearne Cotton I'm going for Fearne as the new presenter but she would have to ditch the BBC if she does

As for the Judges i think a lot of people tune in for Sharon so I see her staying Simon will also stay as he loves the ego trip

Personally id love to see Pete Waterman back and my other idea is ME

id really like it if the fourth Judge was a complete no-body who had to compete against the real judges

Id be great at it but it could add na interesting element to it
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate was very good at handling the show, including the judges and performers, but the show itself didn't do her any favours: it has become a tacky parody of a talent show anyway, and somehow it never showed her at her best: even her wardrobe was awful, full of unflattering colours that seemed to drain the life and the colour from her. This was brought home to me when I saw her on a chat show and was surprised that she appeared totally different: glowing, personable, intelligent and full of energy and confidence. I am rather glad to hear that she is leaving such a poor-quality show. She should do something better.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon and her family do the transatlantic celeb party rounds with Simon so it was almost inevitable that she was chosen over Louis who barely leaves the UK!