Options

0870 On BT Broadband Talk

If you are on the free evening and weekend calls option on BT Broadband Talk, what is the ppm charge for an 0870 call over broadband on a weekday afternoon? Just had to make one! :D

Comments

• Options
    HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine the same as on a standard BT Together line - 3p connection + 7p per minute - charged by the second.

But it might be charged at BT's non-discounted rate - 7.91p per minute (the lower of the two tables in that link).
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Heinz. It seems impossible to find anywhere on BT's site anywhere that outlines Broadband Talk prices. I've got the main phone plugged into the Hub and I'm reluctant to keep plugging it in and plugging it out just to fit in around the free talk time limits. I think that simplification of telephone pricing is long overdue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4444 wrote:
    Thanks Heinz. It seems impossible to find anywhere on BT's site anywhere that outlines Broadband Talk prices. I've got the main phone plugged into the Hub and I'm reluctant to keep plugging it in and plugging it out just to fit in around the free talk time limits. I think that simplification of telephone pricing is long overdue.
    I haven't got a BT Homehub - a Belkin router and a BT 10V adaptor.

I just have to key 5 to hop back onto my standard line - no need to unplug.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH MY WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have just pressed '5' and the dial tone changed from the high pitch to the normal one!!!!! NOWHERE in the BT literature does it mention you can do that (unless I missed something and I'm sure somebody will point out where I've gone wrong)! You are a telephony genius, thanks very much. :)
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can also check if there is an alternative number on http://www.saynoto0870.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

I just found some info about BT Broadband Talk on the BT website:

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/home/internet/bbtalk_costs.html

It doesn't make any mention of 0870 numbers though and I know the local and national numbers it refers to in the grid only applies to 01 and 02 numbers as I noticed it in my bill yesterday.

I am thrilled to bits with the broadband talk - its SO cheap to make calls during the daytime - 16 hours worth for £4.72 and I'm pretty sure that some of those calls were to mobiles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, Jamsarnie. I just wish they'd publish the full cost of calls, including things like 0870 and even 0800 (are they free over broadband?). How does 3p per minute on Broadband Talk compare to standard daytime call charges, is that 4p per minute usually?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4444 wrote:
    Thanks for that, Jamsarnie. I just wish they'd publish the full cost of calls, including things like 0870 and even 0800 (are they free over broadband?). How does 3p per minute on Broadband Talk compare to standard daytime call charges, is that 4p per minute usually?
    BT Together Opton 1 standard charges for a UK 01/02 peak time call (0600-1800 Mon-Frid) are 3p connection and 3p/minute.

Which is why 1899, 18185 and 18866 are so popular (5p for a call of unlimited duration at any time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote:
    BT Together Opton 1 standard charges for a UK 01/02 peak time call (0600-1800 Mon-Frid) are 3p connection and 3p/minute.

Which is why 1899, 18185 and 18866 are so popular (5p for a call of unlimited duration at any time).

Can these be dialled over Broadband Talk, Heinz, or would I have to revert to the '5' line? Do you just apply the prefix and then the full number? I'm learning all the tricks of the trade here, I must say!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4444 wrote:
    Can these be dialled over Broadband Talk, Heinz, or would I have to revert to the '5' line? Do you just apply the prefix and then the full number? I'm learning all the tricks of the trade here, I must say!! :)
    I really don't know - I use an Orchid on my 'normal' line for outgoing - so it's all automated - and only use the BB Talk line for incoming - it's the number I give to banks, insurance companies, websites etc. - and it has anonymous call reject permanently on!

With a Caller Display unit connected, I rarely answer it because I know I don't want their call!

If you're learning, HERE are some suggestions.