Options

Will gay people have the full equality it has taken centuries to fight for next year?

Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When the gay marriages start next year, will gay people have full equality in the UK at long last, or is there still more work to be done?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I've no idea, but I dare say this forum will be awash with God knows how many threads about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope so... It should have happened a long time ago. It never should have been something to debate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    When the gay marriages start next year, will gay people have full equality in the UK at long last, or is there still more work to be done?

What do you think?

It depends what is next on the LGBT agenda.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll remove one of the last significant discrepancies in the law, but that's hardly the same as achieving actual equality in society.

And it won't be full equality throughout the UK until they get round to it in Northern Ireland anyway (I'm assuming there'll be no problems getting same sex marriage voted through in Scotland later this year).
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »

Same sex partners in mixed-doubles at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the bill prohibits marriages in Church of England churches, doesn't it, so it's not really full equality. I don't know what the position is on non-C of E places of worship. as opposed to registry offices. Do they have to permit marriage, or is it optional?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering it will be explicitly illegal in the Churches of England and Wales, there will be no equality next year.

I won't even venture into the hypocrisy of those many times married, serial "bastards" etc under their belts.

It's a step forward, as was Civil Pertnerships (how ****ing patronising) but it is not far enough!
  • Options
    dantealigieridantealigieri Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Digital spy forum is all about gay people
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member

Preferential parking at supermarkets. The Gay Bay is coming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On benefits blad blah blah...
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

A new queen on postage stamps.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Equality in law is certainly coming closer but socially, it's still a pretty long way off.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

Well there is more work to be done here and elsewhere in the world because there are still those who seem to revel in causing misery to other human beings simply because they happen to be attracted to members of their own sex.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 20 years, the majority of the anti-gay folk will be dead... so by then it'll just be like racism today: just the odd idiot and your grandma.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    In 20 years, the majority of the anti-gay folk will be dead... so by then it'll just be like racism today: just the odd idiot and your grandma.

People said exactly the same thing 20 years ago.

I also seem to recall mention of flying cars.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    People said exactly the same thing 20 years ago.

I also seem to recall mention of flying cars.

It's not really the same. The majority of people under 35 have no issue with gay people outside the highly religious - who are few and far between. There are some, but no more than there are still the odd racist person.

As that group ages and those above die, average opinions change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Preferential parking at supermarkets. The Gay Bay is coming.

You would need the whole car park for Blackpool then.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was not aware that gay people had been fighting for centuries for equality. Untill 60 years ago almost all were keeping their head down and who can blame them.

Rapid progress has been made in the past 60 years and I am certain that we will have full gay marriage very soon.
  • Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except for the rest of the 1,828,300 threads that are not all about gay people.
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's a step forward but we are ahead in terms of equality compared to Russia or most African countries. I'd like to think something will be done about the anti gay bill in Russia and I hope that homosexuality will be decriminalised soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ishina wrote: »
    Except for the rest of the 1,828,300 threads that are not all about gay people.

Is this the first ever thread on DS about gays?
  • Options
    ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the first ever thread on DS about gays?
    Yes... yes, this is the first ever thread on DS about gays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    It's not really the same. The majority of people under 35 have no issue with gay people outside the highly religious - who are few and far between. There are some, but no more than there are still the odd racist person.

As that group ages and those above die, average opinions change.

I admire your optimism, but I know plenty of people, particularly men, under the age of 35 who don't like gay people. The same can be said of people who are somewhat racist.

Only yesterday a 20-year-old at work referred to going to the "p a k i shop" and several others I encountered in the evening were talking of voting for the BNP because they are "sick of Muslims" etc etc.

The media like to portray us all as terribly PC, but the reality is quite different. Things have definitely changed over the past 20 years, but there's an awful long way to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I admire your optimism, but I know plenty of people, particularly men, under the age of 35 who don't like gay people. The same can be said of people who are somewhat racist.

Only yesterday a 20-year-old at work referred to going to the "p a k i shop" and several others I encountered in the evening were talking of voting for the BNP because they are "sick of Muslims" etc etc.

The media like to portray us all as terribly PC, but the reality is quite different. Things have definitely changed over the past 20 years, but there's an awful long way to go.

Sadly this is true. It's not just the majority of the older generation.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly this is true. It's not just the majority of the older generation.

That's an extremely ageist remark, and I take grave offence at it.

The 'majority of the older generation' are probably the least prejudiced group of people you could find. They know what the important things in life are (things like "how do I not die for another day?") and don't give a damn what other people get up to, so long as it doesn't affect their own lives.