Options

It was Alright in the 1970's Channel 4 9pm

Comments

• Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know where I can watch this programme on the internet?

Doesn't seem to be on YouTube?:confused:
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

Wouldn't it be on 4oD?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EXACTLY these things are not all in the past at all. LB and 'Come fly with me' may as well have been made iin the 70s as far as I'm concerned, you can use the term 'ironic' all you want.

But, yeah, you know, they were being ironic and well post modern. Didn't you get it? It's edgy. They are, like, playing around with the form. The incontinent woman was symbolic of....

No, it was sh*te. Very broadminded and love my comedy, but the later Little Britain's had one effect on me. Thinking "oh, **** off." and switching off.

Okay. TWO effects. Thinking "oh, **** off" and switching off. And not watching again.

Okay, THREE effects. Thinkin.....etc.

Edit: Ooh, you can't use the famous Father Ted variation of a swearword on DS! Live and learn. :)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    But then that would become the "correct" usage! "Gay" of course is already a derogatory word in some contexts, which is being discouraged for obvious reasons.
    No surprises there then. What's it to be now....'happy chappy'? What was 'wrong' with Homosexual? Nothing. I just wish the potty lot would stop p*ssing around with the English language and deciding a certain word is now going to become 'derogatory' as from April 1st 2015.

I'm a heterosexual bloke.....end of. Some folk that know me address me by my name, and others that know me have addressed me by other names but i couldn't care less.

Why? I don't get your confusion. What I and others have basically said is that there weren't any portrayals of ordinary gay people in the early 1970s, and it would have been helpful if there had been. Why would I have wanted anything else? :confused:
    Perhaps there were.......but they were such good actors you couldn't tell. :p
    What you denigrate as "PC" is often just a simple matter of courtesy or common decency, rather than "being trendy".
    I don't denigrate basic good manners as i wasn't brought up that way, i just can't do with this 'offending' people display over a damn word, not to mention changing it as indicated above over the 'gay' word.

You should be able to see from that now how i completely innocently found myself caught up in the 'coloured' vs 'black' silliness.

I doubt that very much that most young people would find it "cool"!
    Surprising how many do. OK drugs were around when i was a teenager but it was nowhere even remotely close to the issue it is today.

But you're talking about two completely different things here. We've certainly moved on in some areas, with casual racism, sexism and homophobia no longer being generally acceptable.
    If by 'casual' you mean the odd derogatory term or whatever, that's never really bothered me too much as i've been called all sorts of names during my work life and learned to live with it and get on with things. If some black guy called me 'chalky' or 'pinky' i'd find it amusing but the few i know call me by my name.....usually!

Deep seated racism concerns me far more than 'name calling' and the obvious countries which spring to mind straight away being South Africa and the US. Going back further we could use the example of Nazism which attempted to wipe the Jew from the face of the earth, not to mention those less well known such as Roma, Jehovah Witness, and of course Homosexual.

When you think about that ugly part of history, 'name calling' pales into insignificance and bears no comparison.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    No surprises there then. What's it to be now....'happy chappy'? What was 'wrong' with Homosexual? Nothing.
    I meant "gay" in the sense of "rubbish" is being discouraged. The term "homosexual" can of course still be used for the other sense of "gay" but it's a bit clinical-sounding.
    I just wish the potty lot would stop p*ssing around with the English language and deciding a certain word is now going to become 'derogatory' as from April 1st 2015.
    Language is a living thing, and you just have to get used to it evolving I'm afraid!
    I don't denigrate basic good manners as i wasn't brought up that way, i just can't do with this 'offending' people display over a damn word, not to mention changing it as indicated above over the 'gay' word..
    Don't you think it's basic good manners to respect the terms that various minorities wish to apply to themselves? It's not as though they change every day!
    You should be able to see from that now how i completely innocently found myself caught up in the 'coloured' vs 'black' silliness.
    Well, the word "coloured" is so dated to the 1950s/1960s that I'm surprised anyone still uses it. I wouldn't call it offensive though, just a bit quaint as I've already said.
    If by 'casual' you mean the odd derogatory term or whatever, that's never really bothered me too much as i've been called all sorts of names during my work life and learned to live with it and get on with things. If some black guy called me 'chalky' or 'pinky' i'd find it amusing but the few i know call me by my name.....usually!
    As a white person you're unlikely to have suffered from racist insults, but no one should have to put up with them in any case.
    Deep seated racism concerns me far more than 'name calling' and the obvious countries which spring to mind straight away being South Africa and the US. Going back further we could use the example of Nazism which attempted to wipe the Jew from the face of the earth, not to mention those less well known such as Roma, Jehovah Witness, and of course Homosexual.

When you think about that ugly part of history, 'name calling' pales into insignificance and bears no comparison.
    Still pretty nasty though, and shouldn't be dismissed as unimportant.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. But very little progress was made in the early 1970s.

no , as I pointed out in a previous post a lot of progress was made .
    Which documentaries are you referring to, as I can't recall any?

most are gone now , but I well remember documentaries and debate programs about various aspects being gay , the age of consent , how they feel , persecution , coming out etc.
    The term Homophobia came into the popular culture in the early 70s .

here's one I just found on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIA8Udsi0o
    The reason for splitting the 1970s into two halves is simply that things got better towards the end of the decade.

yeah , that's called progress ! it wouldn't be called progress if things got worse in the second half of the decade .

As other posters have pointed out - homosexuality was only legalised in 1967 , that's just a few years before , now I'm sorry if not everything happened overnight for you but thats not how things happen . For instance - it only requires a small amount of thought to realise that most gay people in 1973 had spent most of their lives living a clandestine lifestyle , so it's hardly surprising that not many of them would want to appear on tv shows revealing their private lives in the very few short years it had been since legalisation . That it would take a while .

and for drama - a similar thing applies , it took a while to explore the realities of gay life on tv ,The Naked Civil Servant (1975) was a landmark , featured many types of gay men, not just the camp-Quentin ,

but the camp gay characters and presenters of the early 70s should not be dismissed , a lot of gay men were/are camp and they liked those characters along with much of the mainstream audience , which is a positive thing . There's nothing wrong with being camp .

• Options
    Forum Member
    no , as I pointed out in a previous post a lot of progress was made .

most are gone now , but I well remember documentaries and debate programs about various aspects being gay , the age of consent , how they feel , persecution , coming out etc.
    I don't think they came on till the late 1970s? Though I do remember a couple of docs in the 1960s about "the twilight world of homosexuals"!
    As other posters have pointed out - homosexuality was only legalised in 1967 , that's just a few years before , now I'm sorry if not everything happened overnight for you but thats not how things happen .
    I know - I didn't expect it to! I was just pointing out the problems caused by the (perhaps unavoidable) slow progress towards public acceptance.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Yes, and they've made a couple of new St. Trinian's films in recent years where the sexy schoolgirls are even sexier.

Lest not we forget the famous Britney Spears as a schoolgirl video for 'Baby Hit Me One More Time' was released in 1999.

Or this recent Charli XCX video full of young girls apparently
    attending Hugh Hefner High School: ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhDiXbUaBE
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

but the camp gay characters and presenters of the early 70s should not be dismissed , a lot of gay men were/are camp and they liked those characters along with much of the mainstream audience , which is a positive thing . There's nothing wrong with being camp .

Camp has always been part of British humour, we British love it, Frankie Howerd, Larry Grayson, Round the Horne with Kenneth Williams, Carry on Films, and going back long before them.:D
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving this programme. Some great 70s shows that because of such harsh pc attitudes we don't get to see. I would LOVE to see It Ain't Half Hot Mum again.
    Mary Whitehouse lives on.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    I'm loving this programme. Some great 70s shows that because of such harsh pc attitudes we don't get to see. I would LOVE to see It Ain't Half Hot Mum again.

Every 2nd person is a 'Mary Whitehouse' these days, the UK is filled with boring people who want to moan about everything.

Where I work flirting is now a sackable offence, I long for the old days when a bit of casual 'sexism', 'racism' and 'homophobia' was looked on as a bit of harmless fun.

Stop the world I want to get off. :cry:
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every 2nd person is a 'Mary Whitehouse' these days, the UK is filled with boring people who want to moan about everything.

Where I work flirting is now a sackable offence, I long for the old days when a bit of casual 'sexism', 'racism' and 'homophobia' was looked on as a bit of harmless fun.

Stop the world I want to get off. :cry:

White male I'm guessing?
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White male I'm guessing?

No, I'm an African American transgender gay woman in a wheelchair.
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

It's on 4oD.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

The Complete Collection DVD is available on Amazon for £17.
  • Options
    mr trebusmr trebus Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Watched it ....all I saw was programmes of there times...and belittling of the stars who where in them " basically goading them into saying " cmon you know your a racist lets watch you squirm".

These things now are unacceptable and rightly so. But at that time it was the norm. .im not saying that was good...but it what was out there and people went with it.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr trebus wrote: »
    Watched it ....all I saw was programmes of there times...and belittling of the stars who where in them " basically goading them into saying " cmon you know your a racist lets watch you squirm".

These things now are unacceptable and rightly so. But at that time it was the norm. .im not saying that was good...but it what was out there and people went with it.

Your second paragraph is exactly what the show was supposed to demonstrate, and that was the prevailing attitudes of the time. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Your second paragraph is exactly what the show was supposed to demonstrate, and that was the prevailing attitudes of the time. Nothing more, nothing less.

Another series for those who yearn for the good old days, when people 'just go on with it'
    Channel 4's Confessions of a secretary.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2030078

Maybe some of those on here will get some clue as to what it's like to be on the wrong side of all this $hite, 'back in the day' sexism, racism, when complaining just isn't on the cards, the 'victim' is in the wrong and being 'difficult'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant "gay" in the sense of "rubbish" is being discouraged.
    Going by the example you give here then i'd say it's 'evolving' in a most peculiar way. Are you really being serious about this? :confused:

So for example when i put my wheelie bin out some people call that 'gay'? :confused: Everything inside it is 'gay'? :confused:

I've never heard of anything so daft in all my life.
    The term "homosexual" can of course still be used for the other sense of "gay" but it's a bit clinical-sounding.

Language is a living thing, and you just have to get used to it evolving I'm afraid!
    At least it clearly defines the persons sexuality in the same way as Heterosexual does....but without the need for these barmy wishy washy nonsensical 'terms', one of which according to what you told me above now means rubbish.

When folk fiddle about with language and have trends etc then this is what they have to expect. Often they end up looking a bit stupid (example above for that).

Remember, i was in my late teens and grew up knowing and calling 'gay' men as Homosexuals or more often, 'Homos' which figures as it's just an abbreviation of Homosexual. 'Gay' meant a 'happy and carefree' person though i note that definition is now listed in the Oxford English dictionary as dated.

Oh brother! >:(

Still pretty nasty though, and shouldn't be dismissed as unimportant.
    Not to me. Name calling is nothing compared to deep rooted racism which i've always viewed as vile, but bloody dangerous too. You don't need to look much further than the gross actions of ISIS for a current day example of that. Worse still, their ideology isn't just confined to deep race hate, it's hatred of everyone and anyone outside their own warped views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going by the example you give here then i'd say it's 'evolving' in a most peculiar way. Are you really being serious about this? :confused:

So for example when i put my wheelie bin out some people call that 'gay'? :confused: Everything inside it is 'gay'? :confused:

I've never heard of anything so daft in all my life..
    Not that kind of rubbish! Rubbish in the sense of "weak" or "uncool". As in, "Those trainers are so gay". Mainly used by schoolkids I believe.
  • Options
    trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laughed out loud though when the bloke held up the pair of trainers as though it was some consolation.:D

The PIFs were scary, but hilarious at the same time.

It's such a shame that they didn't show 'The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water'....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPMYRlvySY

That's one which will have stuck in the minds of many on here. And scared them half to death too.

Indeed so!!!

You kept well away from reservoirs, and come to think of it, power lines too.

Television is too damn sanitised these days.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Not that kind of rubbish! Rubbish in the sense of "weak" or "uncool". As in, "Those trainers are so gay". Mainly used by schoolkids I believe.

Regularly used by the Top Gear presenters who are very far away from Teenagers by anyone's reckoning, that is how old that use of the word gay is, it's reached them and their audience also understand it.
    That said, I think the Top Gear trio might be using it slightly tongue in cheek
    I'd have thought the context of it's usage would be clear enough, some people don't listen or are geeing us up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh.....i've not heard that one then. So from now on anyone calling me 'gay' i can assume they see me as 'uncool'? :confused:

eg; "I went to see XX rock group the other night but they were Gay". :confused:

What a weird turn of phrase. Doesn't make sense. That said neither does Gay for Homosexual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Regularly used by the Top Gear presenters who are very far away from Teenagers by anyone's reckoning, that is how old that use of the word gay is, it's reached them and their audience also understand it.
    That said, I think the Top Gear trio might be using it slightly tongue in cheek
    I'd have thought the context of it's usage would be clear enough, some people don't listen or are geeing us up.

The latter I suspect!
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh.....i've not heard that one then. So from now on anyone calling me 'gay' i can assume they see me as 'uncool'? :confused:

eg; "I went to see XX rock group the other night but they were Gay". :confused:

What a weird turn of phrase. Doesn't make sense. That said neither does Gay for Homosexual.

It's verging on the comical how out of touch you are with contemporary society you are? To the point where I'm fairly confident you're just after the reaction now.