Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if this has already been asked or discussed but when is the season review being shown on Sky F1? Also, are they going to show individual team reviews like last year?
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Also, some of the F1 app videos as featured in the Extras on disc 2 aren't always an exact copy. Occasionally an alternative shot has been used. e.g. in the Track analysis video with Spa with Vettel, some of the extreme close-ups of him during the interview have been replaced with less-close angles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has already been asked or discussed but when is the season review being shown on Sky F1? Also, are they going to show individual team reviews like last year?

Have not seen any sky f1 review show coming up soon.
    They did do an end of season f1 show end of November, but was pretty bad and is still in OnDemand.
    There was also a midweek report hour long season report with Anna Woolhouse, Jol Palmer and Will Buxton in mid December, but not found that in OnDemand anywhere. Just sat round the sky sports desk chatting.

There are a few progs to watch over the next week.
    2014 Autosport Awards, 1 hour, 10-30am today and repeated many times over the next few days.
    Lewis Hamilton: A Champions Story, 1 hour, on many times this week.
    On Christmas day there are back to back 'Lewis wins in 2014' progs, each 60 mins, Malaysia, Bahrain, China, Spain, Britain, Italy, Singapore, Japan, Russia, United States and Abu Dhabi

Sat 27 Dec on BBC 1 at 1pm is 'Lewis Hamilton: Duel of the Silver Arrows 2014', 70 mins
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Have not seen any sky f1 review show coming up soon.
    They did do an end of season f1 show end of November, but was pretty bad and is still in OnDemand.
    There was also a midweek report hour long season report with Anna Woolhouse, Jol Palmer and Will Buxton in mid December, but not found that in OnDemand anywhere. Just sat round the sky sports desk chatting.

There are a few progs to watch over the next week.
    2014 Autosport Awards, 1 hour, 10-30am today and repeated many times over the next few days.
    Lewis Hamilton: A Champions Story, 1 hour, on many times this week.
    On Christmas day there are back to back 'Lewis wins in 2014' progs, each 60 mins, Malaysia, Bahrain, China, Spain, Britain, Italy, Singapore, Japan, Russia, United States and Abu Dhabi

Sat 27 Dec on BBC 1 at 1pm is 'Lewis Hamilton: Duel of the Silver Arrows 2014', 70 mins

Cheers for that, I watched the end of season F1 show and the mid week report special and I have recorded the Lewis Hamilton programme (just haven't got around to watching yet).

I asked about the F1 season reviews because I am on holiday over xmas so I keep checking the guides and the Sky website so I can remotely set them to record! Maybe Sky aren't doing them this year and just running with the Lewis Hamilton reviews.
  • Options
    EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Aside from that, everything's fine. Picture & audio quality is fine, and the extra features (all culled from the F1 app) on Disc 2 are great. additionally the onboard videos are once again unique vids, all with narration and some new angles too. Much better than last year.

***Got the Blu-Ray today, went for the bonus disc first, FOM Fan said it has great extras, selected the onboard features, went through it, saw it has an onboard lap of Susie Wolff at Hockenheim, thought "that's a joke, right??", selected the other extras, realized these are just a handful of videos from the F1 app, stopped playback and came to the conclusion "this bonus disc is a waste of time"***
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FOM have stuck another video onto the app, featuring various paddock journalists & pundits (People like Martin Brundle, David Coulthard, Joe Saward, Jennie Gow, David Tremayne, Christian Danner etc.) giving their favourite moments of the 2014 season, really nicely done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Echti wrote: »
    ***Got the Blu-Ray today, went for the bonus disc first, FOM Fan said it has great extras, selected the onboard features, went through it, saw it has an onboard lap of Susie Wolff at Hockenheim, thought "that's a joke, right??", selected the other extras, realized these are just a handful of videos from the F1 app, stopped playback and came to the conclusion "this bonus disc is a waste of time"***

So based on the title of 1 out of 20 onboard laps, you decided it was a joke. That's a rubbish way to review a product...

I said they were "great" compared to last year. They haven't simply stuck on the onboard laps from the website this time. The onboard laps are back to what they were in previous years, however instead of always having a driver, they're taken from different perspectives, e.g. a full lap at Monaco from the rotato-cam or there's a great vid of Pat Fry narrating Kimi's onboard lap in Spain, purely from the thermal camera.

So at least you're getting something unique for the onboard laps...

Yes the other extra features (which I believe are the ones exclusively on blu-ray) are simply some of the videos that are from the F1 App (albeit in 1920x1080 resolution), but it's a darn sight better than last year...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So based on the title of 1 out of 20 onboard laps, you decided it was a joke. That's a rubbish way to review a product...

Actually no as this particular onboard lap is just one example of how boring these extras are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually no as this particular onboard lap is just one example of how boring these extras are.
    So you'd prefer no onboard laps then? Because they're too boring? Or is it just the presence of Susie Wolff as one of the onboards that has made you totally discredit the other 18 onboard laps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, throw the onboard footage out, makes the review much better...well, actually no.
    I think this is probably FOM's most boring and most lackluster attempt on reviewing a season. The extra features do not add anything to the overall experience and the review itself has no "wow, that was cool" moment. Adding the F1 app clips with Gary Anderson and James Allen to the review feels quite awkward and the race footage is exactly the same as we have seen during the live broadcast of each race. There are only very very tiny bits that might be new.
    This years review makes you think that the time of a classic end of season review might slowly come to an end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, throw the onboard footage out, makes the review much better...well, actually no.
    I think this is probably FOM's most boring and most lackluster attempt on reviewing a season. The extra features do not add anything to the overall experience and the review itself has no "wow, that was cool" moment. Adding the F1 app clips with Gary Anderson and James Allen to the review feels quite awkward and the race footage is exactly the same as we have seen during the live broadcast of each race. There are only very very tiny bits that might be new.
    This years review makes you think that the time of a classic end of season review might slowly come to an end.

So you think last year's review, which had zero extra features bar the onboard laps was better? If you want my honest opinion, every single review apart from the 2000 & 2001 VHS reviews is frankly boring, simply because most people will know what's gonna happen cos they'll have watch the races. Yet, if you look at the ratings that Keith from F1 Fanatic has posted, yet ranks those reviews as the worst because they're too "showy", with their use of dramatic music etc.

Saying that, this one in particular is good, previous F1 reviews didn't "flow" as much as this one does IMO, and the edit was so lose it just become "Commentator Describes what's gonna happen": Shot of it happening, then Repeated all over again.

While the 2014 review doesn't eliminate that entirely, I do feel that the use of in-vision presenters (whether culled from the app or not) works well, and it is an improvement on the 2013 review at the very least. I do wish they'd make an attempt to spice it up by adding music to replays at the right moments and using more "filmic" techniques. But then i'm sure the purists would disagree. I also like the use of (new) present-tense commentary rather than past tense, as it makes it look more exciting, but sadly other journalists like Keith from F1 Fanatic disagree & hate it for some reason.

Ultimately though, I don't think this year's review is an utter disaster as you seem to be implying, we have had far, FAR worse reviews...2007 is a good example, as well as the 1980s ones (Clive James just sounds bored and his commentary isn't that funny, just dry pun after dry pun... yawn....), don't get me started on 1983 with Barbara Rosenblat... Also Peter Ustinov's attempt at presenting the 1987 basically turned into "Look how well I can pronounce the foreign corner names & driver names correctly"... God. Frankly after an awful 80s period and an awful 2007-2011 period, things are starting to turn up for the better again in FOM's reviews. At least the clips on the F1 app (which i'm sure no-one looks at because they can't be bothered to pay £10 for 12 months of access...) give a better technical insight into the championship. Extra features... well tbh they're not designed to be part of the main review. Maybe a long-form, detailed 20-minute interview or two would be good rather than simply including clips from the app?
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I quite liked the 1984 and 1986 F1 reviews, although I have a soft spot for 1984 as it was the fiorst year I started watching the sport.

If you want a really toe curling voice over surely the 1983 has to win hand's down. It's a real throw back to another era but I struggle to believe the "humour" on the video would have even raised much of a laugh back then. The running "joke" of the woman being jealous of the female attention that Patrick Tambay gets is just awful and gets worse as it goes on.

The 2001 version is another odd one - consider the start of the Australian GP with the cut backs to an eagle flying over head and the noise of the engines woven into the bird calls. Really weird - although i guess it might have seemed cool at the time. Also far too many lingering shots of the area around the track like some sort of mearketing tourism video.

Anyway what I really wanted to write about was whether Sky intend to vary their Classic F1 coverage. We seem to be getting the same races over and over. I love seeing them as it's a real throw back - but we seem to be constantly getting the same races.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wal28 wrote: »
    Actually I quite liked the 1984 and 1986 F1 reviews, although I have a soft spot for 1984 as it was the fiorst year I started watching the sport.

If you want a really toe curling voice over surely the 1983 has to win hand's down. It's a real throw back to another era but I struggle to believe the "humour" on the video would have even raised much of a laugh back then. The running "joke" of the woman being jealous of the female attention that Patrick Tambay gets is just awful and gets worse as it goes on.

The 2001 version is another odd one - consider the start of the Australian GP with the cut backs to an eagle flying over head and the noise of the engines woven into the bird calls. Really weird - although i guess it might have seemed cool at the time. Also far too many lingering shots of the area around the track like some sort of mearketing tourism video.

Anyway what I really wanted to write about was whether Sky intend to vary their Classic F1 coverage. We seem to be getting the same races over and over. I love seeing them as it's a real throw back - but we seem to be constantly getting the same races.
    1983 is awful. Barbara Rosenblat is the woman and apparently she was a popular actress at the time. Tbh i like the more "filmic" reviews, like the 2001 one as you said. Takes a different angle to the coverage, rather than bland race shots. I mean if you've watched all the races then you don't really want to see the same stuff again, so any different angle they can take is good IMO.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for the 1995 review personally - as well as the action, there was some amusing highlights in between (best spins, Morbidelli's moments etc).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Argh the 1st disc of the review is corrupt on mine it seems. Duke better agree replace it me...
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1983 is awful. Barbara Rosenblat is the woman and apparently she was a popular actress at the time. Tbh i like the more "filmic" reviews, like the 2001 one as you said. Takes a different angle to the coverage, rather than bland race shots. I mean if you've watched all the races then you don't really want to see the same stuff again, so any different angle they can take is good IMO.

Thanks for the name tip on the 1983 video. It's a pity really because there was some good racing that year.

I also liked the 1985 video with the drivers talking about the races, and I seem to recall Alboreto at one point mentioning he felt compelled to win a certain race after he collided with his team-mate.

The other strange one that sticks in my mind is the bizarre into and outro to the 1987 video by Peter Ustinov in Berlin - for not particular reason other than that was were he appeared to be when it was shot. Most peculiar!
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Christmas everyone !!!

Jp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Merry Christmas everyone :)
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back the "Murray and Martin F1 Christmas Special"!

On an unrelated note, if you look at the official F1 webpage, under the main header banner it lists all the races for next season in little numbered grey boxes. Numbered to 21, indeed, but there are only 20 boxes, Korea being (unsurprisingly) absent.

You could say it was because the race is listed as TBA on their 2015 list, but Germany is also TBA. Illustrates how "serious" this race is(n't)!

Just thought it was interesting to note.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    Bring back the "Murray and Martin F1 Christmas Special"!

On an unrelated note, if you look at the official F1 webpage, under the main header banner it lists all the races for next season in little numbered grey boxes. Numbered to 21, indeed, but there are only 20 boxes, Korea being (unsurprisingly) absent.

You could say it was because the race is listed as TBA on their 2015 list, but Germany is also TBA. Illustrates how "serious" this race is(n't)!

Just thought it was interesting to note.
    Or they can't be bothered to re-do that section to expand the bottom row to an odd-number of cells, as there's gonna be a new website up in possibly a week? Also unlike the other races, there was no Korean Grand Prix in 2013, so templates might not be so easily able to be quickly created for 2014.
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,075
    Forum Member
    There's going to be no Korean GP in 2015 either... It was added to the calendar as a placeholder to allow teams to use five power units instead of four.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Superb season review by the BBC.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to say I thought the BBC Season review was absolutely top notch, really worth a watch.

Edited wonderfully with great interviews. Really good insight.

I'd say thats the best one they have ever done.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great production, although its a shame they only gave a cursory nod to the other teams and drivers competing this year.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    There is a Barrie Sheene doc on BBC2 tomorrow evening presented by Vic Reeves.
This discussion has been closed.