Options

Channels Showing Full Widescreen Films

Comments

• Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I can see it now, a chav sitting there with their 21:9 TV watching in extreme-stretch-o-vision :D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you advocate that people with a 4:3 set in their living room should just dump it in favour of a widescreen set then,despite the fact that it works perfectly well and they don't mind watching widescreen shows on it,and therefore see no reason to buy a new tv which they may not be able to afford,all in the name of progress.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I want the full image at the correct aspect ratio, ideally taking up as much screen as possible without cutting any picture off. I don't mind black bars at the top and bottom, or on the sides when watching 4:3 content on a wide screen.

One of my pet hates is seeing 16:9 TVs showing a 4:3 image in stretchovision with weird short fat people on them ;)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    So you advocate that people with a 4:3 set in their living room should just dump it in favour of a widescreen set then,despite the fact that it works perfectly well and they don't mind watching widescreen shows on it,and therefore see no reason to buy a new tv which they may not be able to afford,all in the name of progress.
    Maybe when the but a digital set-top box, they will realise that most if not all of them allow the viewer to set the aspect ratio that the box outputs. In that way they would be able to choose either the Zoom option (for no black bars at al), or 16:9 option (and have black bars top & bottom. Then they have the choice, and everyone else who has a widescreen TV can receive the proper 16:9 aspect ration.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, you can still watch widescreen shows on a 4:3 TV without a problem.

And I never advocated it in the first place, so please don't suggest I did. I said (regarding TVs that you can buy in those shop places) "Also, every TV aimed at a living room setting is widescreen now. Only some small kitchen-destined TVs are 4:3."

When I had a 14" portable at Uni, I watched The Doors in 2.35:1 on a widescreen video.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    ITV are currently showing the Gone in 60 Seconds remake in 2.35:1.

Conversely, BBC2 went with a 16:9 print of There Will Be Blood. Dimwits.

Earlier in the evening the BBC showed Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on BBC Three in 16:9, while over on BBC HD it was 21:9.

I wonder whether they had 2 different masters, or if they deliberately adjusted the SD versoin to appease the "mass-market"?

It's not the first time they have had different aspect ratios on different channels at the same time.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I never advocated it in the first place, so please don't suggest I did. I said (regarding TVs that you can buy in those shop places) "Also, every TV aimed at a living room setting is widescreen now. Only some small kitchen-destined TVs are 4:3."

When I said I know people who have a 4:3 set as their main set in their living room,you replied "Then they should try getting with the times". As far as I'm concerned,that is advocating that they should dump said set and buy a widescreen set for the living room,is it not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I said I know people who have a 4:3 set as their main set in their living room,you replied "Then they should try getting with the times". As far as I'm concerened,that is advocating that they should dump said set and buy a widescreen set for the living room,is it not?

They should learn to enjoy the extra width ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earlier in the evening the BBC showed Lara Croft: Tomb Raider on BBC Three in 16:9, while over on BBC HD it was 21:9.

I wonder whether they had 2 different masters, or if they deliberately adjusted the SD versoin to appease the "mass-market"?

It's not the first time they have had different aspect ratios on different channels at the same time.

They buy in a separate master. I figured they've never had a 16:9 master for the Indiana Jones films, for example, since when they were in 2.35:1 on BBC HD, they were still the old crappy 4:3 masters. In fact, the Raiders print was so bad it looked older than the film itself!
  • Options
    terryranosaurusterryranosaurus Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically , the free to air channels cater for the peasants which is why these people prefer to see 1/3 of the filmed image chopped off the sides instead of having black bars.

And anyone who watches these broadcasts get what they deserve .

The discerning viewer prepared to pay for proper presentations get exactly that , whether it be dvd , Bluray or Sky Movies.

Leave the mutilated pictures to the rabble , although Film4 do cater for proper film fans too

Fortunately the channels are starting to realise and some off peak screenings have been 2.35:1 but I suspect a full 2.35:1 broadcast before 9pm on BBC1 or ITV1 is some way off yet

Makes you wonder what these whingers do when they get dvd or Bluray in its correct proportions.

Do they run back to the shop asking for a refund?
  • Options
    terryranosaurusterryranosaurus Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aspartame wrote: »
    One of my pet hates is seeing 16:9 TVs showing a 4:3 image in stretchovision with weird short fat people on them ;)

These are generally on sets viewed by people too stupid to set their equipment up properly and they're also too dumb to notice anything is wrong anyway.

Likely a composite connection too and their verdict would be that their pictures are "excellent"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are generally on sets viewed by people too stupid to set their equipment up properly and they're also too dumb to notice anything is wrong anyway.

Aka "Currys employees" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two more today (aside from Star Trek 9 on C4)

Ocean's Twelve on ITV
    Lost in Space on Five, of all channels!!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lost in Space on Five, of all channels!!

Yes but with the Five dog and a nice IPP (in the DOG) for 'Don't Stop Believing'. :(

Five just won't learn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but with the Five dog and a nice IPP (in the DOG) for 'Don't Stop Believing'. :(

Five just won't learn.

Yeah, the only good thing, like on Sky 1/2 is that when it was just a white Five logo, it was in the black bar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jet Li's War on Five in 2.35:1, right now, and no doubt at 10.50pm on C4, Final Destination will be too, like its last screening.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if a lot of channels are updating their film libraries with HD copies of new and existing films. Both ITV and Five did film deals with Warner Bros, Oceans Twelve IIRC was in 4:3 when ITV first showed it but they showed the 2.35:1 version and Five did have 16:9 copies of War and Lost in Space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Wonder if a lot of channels are updating their film libraries with HD copies of new and existing films. Both ITV and Five did film deals with Warner Bros, Oceans Twelve IIRC was in 4:3 when ITV first showed it but they showed the 2.35:1 version and Five did have 16:9 copies of War and Lost in Space.

That's good to know. Shame the BBC keep showing their crappy old prints a lot of the time. Woe betide them if they drag out their 4:3 Indiana Jones prints again, which look even older than the films themselves!

BTW, I meant FD3 in my earlier post, not the first one.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good to know. Shame the BBC keep showing their crappy old prints a lot of the time. Woe betide them if they drag out their 4:3 Indiana Jones prints again, which look even older than the films themselves!

BTW, I meant FD3 in my earlier post, not the first one.

I wonder why The BBC still has the old Indiana Jones copies when they have the HD copies which they can easily show in correct ratio in SD. I imagine they'll show it in the correct ratio when they show the film again.

Lost in Space was definetly 16:9 when Five showed it as I remember watching it. I think they showed The Jackal in 2.35:1 as well. I wonder if terrestrial premieres of films like 300 and I Am Legend will be in 2.35:1 or 16:9?
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt they will go back to 1.78:1 now when they have started to show their films in 2.35:1 at long last. The new deals will more than likely include the HD versions so unless they want major complaints they won't crop the HD version from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 and as the SD channels is usually just a downscaled version of the HD channel, not a seperate channel altogether then they will be 2.35:1 on SD.

I wonder though, are ITV and FIVE showing the films deep letterboxed on analogue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I doubt they will go back to 1.78:1 now when they have started to show their films in 2.35:1 at long last. The new deals will more than likely include the HD versions so unless they want major complaints they won't crop the HD version from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 and as the SD channels is usually just a downscaled version of the HD channel, not a seperate channel altogether then they will be 2.35:1 on SD.

I wonder though, are ITV and FIVE showing the films deep letterboxed on analogue?

Don't they just show the same as the SD feed? On ITV it used to be a 14:9 crop of whatever was in the 16:9 window. (so would work out around 2.1:1). I haven't got analogue any more, though :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Galaxy Quest on BBC1 on Thursday was in 2.35:1. Does anyone know if Snake Eyes was also, same time last night? I missed it but am curious. Thanks.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Galaxy Quest on BBC1 on Thursday was in 2.35:1. Does anyone know if Snake Eyes was also, same time last night? I missed it but am curious. Thanks.

It was a cropped 16:9 version on both BBC1 and BBC HD.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a comment on another thread that on BBC HD it started off as 2.35:1, and then went to 16:9 (presumably after the opening titles).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=43319951&postcount=2

Did not watch it myself though.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, like most channels that show mostly 1.85:1 content they will show the opening credits in 2.35:1 as text may be cut off if they don't, but once they are out of the way the image is zoomed in to fill the screen. Jersey Girl was on BBC 1 a few weeks ago and this happened, although they left it a bit later than the end of the opening credits before they actually zoomed in to 1.85:1.