Husband has been accused of Racism

Comments

• Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The employee should be offered some direct feedback about the reasons why she was not offered the job - and a note of that discussion should be put on her record if necessary.

She should then be told that if she has any further concerns about the recruitment process she should put them in writing. She should be reassured that if she applies for another position in future that she was considered suitable for she would be given fair and equal consideration.

There should be no histrionics about false accusations or anything of that kind - it should be handled in a completely calm and professional manner strictly by the book.

If your husband has done this - and it sounds as though he has acted entirely properly - then he has nothing to fear. Her stance is not credible.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The employee should be offered some direct feedback about the reasons why she was not offered the job - and a note of that discussion should be put on her record if necessary.

She should then be told that if she has any further concerns about the recruitment process she should put them in writing. She should be reassured that if she applies for another position in future that she was considered suitable for she would be given fair and equal consideration.

There should be no histrionics about false accusations or anything of that kind - it should be handled in a completely calm and professional manner strictly by the book.

If your husband has done this - and it sounds as though he has acted entirely properly - then he has nothing to fear. Her stance is not credible.

Thanks - My Husband has asked her to apply for the senior assistant post ( more suitable for her lack of retail experience) but she still says she will only do THAT job if its part time and no weekends so other people have been invited to apply.

Anyway AM will give her grievance procedure on Tuesday see how that goes- company policy is that all keyholders positions Manager. Asst Manager and Senior Sales are full time with requirement to work weekends in shifts.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Thanks - My Husband has asked her to apply for the senior assistant post ( more suitable for her lack of retail experience) but she still says she will only do THAT job if its part time and no weekends so other people have been invited to apply.

Anyway AM will give her grievance procedure on Tuesday see how that goes- company policy is that all keyholders positions Manager. Asst Manager and Senior Sales are full time with requirement to work weekends in shifts.

It sounds like she's just sounding off. I chaired a grievance appeal panel recently where someone claimed they'd been discriminated against during recruitment. It was clear to me that the manager had followed procedures correctly and had treated the individual fairly and with respect. Whilst it was clear that this person's individual history was a factor in not getting the job it was not unfair discrimination but a reasonable managerial judgement. I really don't think your husband has anything whatsoever to fear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened at my last workplace. The job was given to the most experienced and qualified candidate, one of the rejected applicants complained that she had not got it as the manager was racist. The manager was very worried and spent hours, not to mention £££s on preparing his case for en employment tribunal (or whatever it's called). In the end she didn't even get that far, presumably someone made her see sense that she had no case.

If I were your husband I'd tell HR and then put it out of my mind, and try not to treat her any differently. Just hope she moves on soon.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god he didnt promote her, she sounds like trouble. Make up some breaches of contact for her and get rid ASAP :)
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW the p/t time worker has children but they are in their late teens so no child care issues to stop her working full time and weekends

This information is irrelevant to your OH's defence, and insinuates an unpleasant attitude on your part. If she's already stated that she is unwilling to work weekends, then that should be the focus, twinned with her lesser experience, rather than your opinions of whether or not she should leave her teenage kids to work at weekends.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    This information is irrelevant to your OH's defence, and insinuates an unpleasant attitude on your part. If she's already stated that she is unwilling to work weekends, then that should be the focus, twinned with her lesser experience, rather than your opinions of whether or not she should leave her teenage kids to work at weekends.

Oh no it does not - a lot of people are discriminated in jobs due to the fact that they have children and cannot work full time hours, if that had been the case my husband would have tried to find a way around it if her other qualities and experience made her the best candidate even though the role requires full time and weekends.

There is a great deal of difference between someone not able to work certain hours and needing support and help and someone refusing to work certain hours and expecting the same opportunities as those who will work them

BTW the 'kids' are 17 and 19 well able to take care of themselves I was married and running my own home at 17
  • regbobsalregbobsal Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    My Husband manages a shop and his assistant manager has given in her notice.

Although the senior sales assistant would have been the ideal choice for instant promotion due to equality he offered all his employees the chance to apply for the position.

The senior sales is already a key holder and is able to work weekends inc Sunday (a requisite of the job) and has 10 years retail experience.

One of the part time staff also applied, she wont work weekends (she made a large point of saying so at the interview) she still only wants to work part time ,she has only 6 months retail experience and has also a bad record of timekeeping.

None of the other staff applied

Yesterday the SSA was offered the promotion.

The part time worker has now got on her high horse and is telling everyone who will listen that she didn't get the job because she is black and is threatening legal action under the RRA.

I have told my husband she wont win, I mean if my husband
    was a racist he wouldn't have even given her the P/T position ( he had 50 candidates for the job).

He has told her the main reason that it's a full time job and
    has to include every 3rd weekend and that the other candidate had more experience and that is true .

He has offered the part time worker the chance of applying for the now vacant SSA position but has made it clear that is also full time with every 3rd weekend but she is not interested.

I have told him to speak to his head office and HR to see what they say but he is worried that he will be branded a racist and/or cost his company money in compo.

BTW the p/t time worker has children but they are in their late teens so no child care issues to stop her working full time and weekends

It happens all the time. Take no notice.
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Only been there 6 months??? I'd get shot. She sounds like trouble.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another one wanting something for nothing.... will give nothing to the company (wont work weekends, only works part time) but wants the company to bend over backwards to meet her needs.

Doesnt work like that.

IF the PT worker had got the job and continued as PT when it was clearly advertised as FT and Weekends etc, the SSA would probably have a valid claim for why they werent selected when its clearly obvious that they match the criteria.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    Thank god he didnt promote her, she sounds like trouble. Make up some breaches of contact for her and get rid ASAP :)

What a horrible thing to suggest - do something illegal.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really, irrelevant yes but not unpleasant.

Like others have said, If this person won't work weekends and it's a requirement of the job, they won't have a leg to stand on with regards to racism.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »

Bad advice: this is not only wrong in itself but would provide grounds for the employee to take a case to a tribunal alleging victimisation because she had complained about racial discrimination in the first place.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When there are large payments for proven victims of racism - or any other ism - there are always going to be some who try it on in the hope of getting money for nothing.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Oh no it does not - a lot of people are discriminated in jobs due to the fact that they have children and cannot work full time hours, if that had been the case my husband would have tried to find a way around it if her other qualities and experience made her the best candidate even though the role requires full time and weekends.

There is a great deal of difference between someone not able to work certain hours and needing support and help and someone refusing to work certain hours and expecting the same opportunities as those who will work them

BTW the 'kids' are 17 and 19 well able to take care of themselves I was married and running my own home at 17

Hopefully, by the end of the grievance procedure, she'll come to realise what the real reasons for the selection were and accept them. Perhaps then she can decide whether changing her working hours is worth it for a more likely chance of promotion?

Or course, she may just decide that the whole company is against her and become embittered and go on a downward spiral. You just can't tell until it happens.

Hopefully, for everyone involved, especially the woman herself, the former will happen over the latter.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with some people, with this woman playing the race card so conveniently I hope she knows she's undermining past generations who were subject to the real thing and more.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Fashion wrote: »
    What's wrong with some people, with this woman playing the race card so conveniently I hope she knows she's undermining past generations who were subject to the real thing and more.

There could be all sorts of reasons for her behaviour that we aren't aware of. She may have been bullied over it at school, had a previous job where this actually happened, or it could even be someone at the shop or elsewhere filling her head with nonsense.

I know someone (at one of my old workplaces) who was convinced that she was hated by our boss. She said the boss would look down her nose at her whenever she looked her way. One of the other women, who had lost out on the job to our boss, did her best to stir up trouble whenever she could. It was a pretty nasty place to work.

I tried telling the woman that our boss was just very short-sighted and couldn't see what the hell was going on past her desk when she was wearing her reading glasses (and that was the reason for 'the look'), but she just refused to accept this.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be best for your husband to go to HR directly to let them know what is going on before she does.

If she had children who were children (not adults) she may have had a case. But this racism thing is nonsense. She refused to work the hours the job required. End of.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as he can give logical reasons for his choice, and it sounds as though he has, then he has nothing to worry about.

The woman sounds like a sore loser.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    There could be all sorts of reasons for her behaviour that we aren't aware of. She may have been bullied over it at school, had a previous job where this actually happened, or it could even be someone at the shop or elsewhere filling her head with nonsense.

I know someone (at one of my old workplaces) who was convinced that she was hated by our boss. She said the boss would look down her nose at her whenever she looked her way. One of the other women, who had lost out on the job to our boss, did her best to stir up trouble whenever she could. It was a pretty nasty place to work.

I tried telling the woman that our boss was just very short-sighted and couldn't see what the hell was going on past her desk when she was wearing her reading glasses (and that was the reason for 'the look'), but she just refused to accept this.
    Not trying to throw shade on your friend's story Lyricalis, in this woman's case (OP's problem) there are plenty of anti-discrimination laws in place, so much so that thinking someone doesn't like you because of race shouldn't even register! And no I'm not suggesting the world's full of sunshine and rainbows, of course racists exist but that aspect of discrimination shouldn't be so readily manipulated by people who can't get their own way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he has a union get them on it too. Also as Ive basically said on another thread if someone is being a lunatic just do it back and put a grievance in against her for discrimination as she doesn't have a leg to stand on but he does. Racism goes all ways.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    As long as he can give logical reasons for his choice, and it sounds as though he has, then he has nothing to worry about.

The woman sounds like a sore loser.

Indeed. Makes we wonder why the lady doth protest so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have to be joking, unpleasant attitude:confused:

The woman is not prepared to work full time as the job requires. Simple judgement, she is unsuitable for the post. Colour is irrelevant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Makes we wonder why the lady doth protest so much.

He could sack her without reason if she has been employed for less than a year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

agreed with BIB I am childless and for example since it's does not relate to my job but just an example to go with the holidays. I would cover a team shift on boxing day if my work was open so someone else could be off with their kids and I would fully expect to be asked first about it before them. Am I being descriminated against? In this politically correct world some bugger would probabably try and make a casefor it? But I live in a realistic world and I don't have a problem with helping families when I don't really have plans. This woman sounds like she is looking for a claim and may have financial issues.