2014/15 Premier League TV Fixtures Thread

arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hopefully we can use this thread to continue existing discussion around PL picks from the old thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755756

2014/15 fixtures will be announced 9am Wed 18th June.

Think it goes without saying that Sky will use this as a first pick weekend - with United's first game with new manager likely to be the big story. Assuming City will also be picked.

Probably quite likely BT will end up with either Arsenal or Liverpool as their first game?

Comments

• henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arunan22 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can use this thread to continue existing discussion around PL picks from the old thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755756

2014/15 fixtures will be announced 9am Wed 18th June.

Think it goes without saying that Sky will use this as a first pick weekend - with United's first game with new manager likely to be the big story. Assuming City will also be picked.

Probably quite likely BT will end up with either Arsenal or Liverpool as their first game?

Wouldn't it depend on who the various teams are playing? If it's e.g. Man City at Swansea and Liverpool at Spurs, wouldn't the better match be the one at White Hart Lane?
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Wouldn't it depend on who the various teams are playing? If it's e.g. Man City at Swansea and Liverpool at Spurs, wouldn't the better match be the one at White Hart Lane?

Quite. If Man United are at home to Crystal Palace there's no way that should be picked over Everton v Chelsea or Liverpool v Tottenham, for example.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it normally newly promoted vs the big boys, first weekend
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »

Obviously all guesswork currently - yes. Just its unlikely we have a big game on the first game, and the United game is 99% likely to be picked to be shown I reckon, even if there is 1 other big game.
  • stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arunan22 wrote: »
    Obviously all guesswork currently - yes. Just its unlikely we have a big game on the first game, and the United game is 99% likely to be picked to be shown I reckon, even if there is 1 other big game.

I would say it's 100% guaranteed.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could we get 3 matches on the first Super Sunday, has it been done before.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could we get 3 matches on the first Super Sunday, has it been done before.

It's possible but very unlikely. Sky will want to showcase each of their main slots - Saturday Night, Monday Night etc.
  • loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,006
    Forum Member
    Overall, there are three midweek league matches to be played - Wednesday 3rd December, Wednesday 11th February and Wednesday 4th March.

http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/201415-fixture-schedule-announced-1552042.aspx

That plus Boxing Day and NYD look to be bank holiday rounds.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    New rights deal towards the end of this yr will be interesting to see if there are any additional games and special cirumstances for opening and final day.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    loyalsince wrote: »
    Overall, there are three midweek league matches to be played - Wednesday 3rd December, Wednesday 11th February and Wednesday 4th March.

http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/201415-fixture-schedule-announced-1552042.aspx

That plus Boxing Day and NYD look to be bank holiday rounds.

FA Cup is on the 3rd so no NYD fixtures.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, that has always been the case before when New Year's Day has been a Thursday, and given next season doesn't finish until the end of May, I'm not sure why they need to cram a fixture in there this time, unless they now demand X number of Bank Holiday fixtures a season (but in that case, they'd have surely been better off choosing Easter Monday). Don't even think the Football League will be playing that day. We also don't appear to have the usual midweek fixture list at the end of January. Wonder if Stoke have just made a mistake.
  • andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QPR LEICS & Burnley likely to be on in forst 2 weeks i think - possibly the cynic in me says get their games out the way early

know fixtures are done semi randomly but what are the 'worst' fixtures for this first weekend (and the mirror fixtures in 23 games time) I can recall some dull starting saturdays in the past where fixtures 'on paper' look dull.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    In reply to Steve Williams, Readings website has a detailed list of all relevant dates (even scheduled FA cup replay dates) in the FL this coming season, and there's the normal game on Boxing Day and a game on 28th December, but that's it until FA Cup 3rd round weekend.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that has always been the case before when New Year's Day has been a Thursday, and given next season doesn't finish until the end of May, I'm not sure why they need to cram a fixture in there this time, unless they now demand X number of Bank Holiday fixtures a season (but in that case, they'd have surely been better off choosing Easter Monday). Don't even think the Football League will be playing that day. We also don't appear to have the usual midweek fixture list at the end of January. Wonder if Stoke have just made a mistake.

The link above posted by loyalsince does include Thu 1st Jan as a date for 'festive fixtures', but I agree that it seems unlikely there's going to be a round of games on NYD.

Thus the accuracy of the article is called into question. I would be surprised if there weren't five midweek / BH rounds as the picks system does seem to call for that many, and without it the picking procedure would be undermined (perhaps the PL would nominate a weekend round as the missing midweek for TV pick purposes?)
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its safe to say Sky will try to make sure Man utd are on monday nights live next season as no euro games for the fallen giants
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    In reply to Steve Williams, Readings website has a detailed list of all relevant dates (even scheduled FA cup replay dates) in the FL this coming season, and there's the normal game on Boxing Day and a game on 28th December, but that's it until FA Cup 3rd round weekend.

Here's the link to the page I think you're referring to:

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/201415-fixture-dates-1564566.aspx

Obviously doesn't give any clues as to the missing midweek, but it does explicitly there is no NYD round.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no European games on the midweek after Easter next season, so I presume there will be a full schedule of PL games on Easter Monday.

There hasn't been a full schedule of games on New Year's day when it has fallen on a Thursday since 1987 and I highly doubt there will be any next season.
  • xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be suprised if there wasn't any New Years eve and day games. New Year's Eve games to then play fa cup sat, and teams on New Year's Day to play fa cup sunday/monday
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,061
    Forum Member
    xtradj wrote: »
    I'd be suprised if there wasn't any New Years eve and day games. New Year's Eve games to then play fa cup sat, and teams on New Year's Day to play fa cup sunday/monday

Not a chance of some games on NYE and then some on NYD, and certainly no reason to force some teams to play in the FA Cup on the Sun/Mon because of playing on NYD.

I'm pretty certain there'll not be any NYD games (if there aren't in the FL, there isn't going to be in the PL, and there aren't any scheduled for NYD in the FL. Also just as certain that there won't be any on NYE.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »

Though this will more likely to default to Sunday 29th December. These days, if it can be helped, clubs would prefer a minimum 2 clear days grace between games.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though this will more likely to default to Sunday 29th December. These days, if it can be helped, clubs would prefer a minimum 2 clear days grace between games.

The Sunday is 28th December, with Boxing Day being the Friday!

I agree Easter Monday is a likely date. Why wouldn't there be a round in late January though? When was the last time there wasn't?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume the PL season will end on May 24th like it did in 2009 when the dates in the calendar were the same as the upcoming season?

Will some games be moved from Boxing Day to Saturday 27th for TV coverage?
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    The Sunday is 28th December, with Boxing Day being the Friday!

Oops! Apologies!
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I agree Easter Monday is a likely date. Why wouldn't there be a round in late January though? When was the last time there wasn't?

Pretty sure there's always been a midweek round the week after the FA Cup fourth round, even before the Premier League started (I have a Radio Times from January 1992 and ITV have a live game from Divison One that night). There must surely be one this time.
    I presume the PL season will end on May 24th like it did in 2009 when the dates in the calendar were the same as the upcoming season?

Will some games be moved from Boxing Day to Saturday 27th for TV coverage?

Unlikely, I guess it'll be like this year with Sky having a game at lunchtime and BT two later in the day on Boxing Day. However with there (presumably) being no matches on New Years Day they'll probably split the following fixture list over Sunday 28th, Monday 29th and Tuesday 30th to allow for four games on telly (the usual Super Sunday and Monday Night Football, then either Sky or BT getting one on the Tuesday).
  • kincorth01kincorth01 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Reference the NYD fixture.

Found another link to QPR's website which also lists NYD as a fixture round so would appear there will be a Premier League only fixture round on New Year's Day. Not sure how this will affect the FA Cup as would mean some PL teams play twice in 48 hours.

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/090614-201415-key-dates-announced-1627012.aspx