Options

Shabnam

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
Forum Member
Did Eastenders forget she's a bitch? She's growing on me, surprisingly fast. I'm only just catching up on Thursdays ep so hope I don't have to eat my words, but liking the masoods in this ep and hoping it continues. Though, her hijab clashes horribly with the Minute Mart uniform.

Comments

• Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,424
    Forum Member
    Shah nam would be my best friend in real life. I have loved her character right from her reintroduction.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she is a bitch. It was the usual EE trope of a new/recurring character being horrible to get attention, then miraculously mellowing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Even when she was a bitch, it was still good to have a strong woman with principles. At the end of the day, she said what we all would have thought if we'd walked in to Walford IRL!
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I still don't get why the magicked her into a 24 hour racist and then just leave it. Her continuity since returning had been hella poor. I pray the writers clean up their act in regards to her. They should stop trying to make her into another Zainab - there's only one. I'd like to see her being arranged a suitor by Bushra and actually having the relationship work. How revolutionary would it be for a soap to respect the idea that people sometimes stick to their beliefs and don't trade it in for a one night stand or a secret craving to see what beer tastes like.
    Get Shabnam a Muslim husband, have them work in the pharmacy and have them look down their noses at Masoods.
  • Options
    issy17issy17 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I still don't get why the magicked her into a 24 hour racist and then just leave it. Her continuity since returning had been hella poor. I pray the writers clean up their act in regards to her. They should stop trying to make her into another Zainab - there's only one. I'd like to see her being arranged a suitor by Bushra and actually having the relationship work. How revolutionary would it be for a soap to respect the idea that people sometimes stick to their beliefs and don't trade it in for a one night stand or a secret craving to see what beer tastes like.
    Get Shabnam a Muslim husband, have them work in the pharmacy and have them look down their noses at Masoods.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because modern day Britain is not like that, sadly.... I know plenty of Muslim males in Leeds who have wives or girlfriends but also cheat and sleep with men on the side and probably think nothing of it.....

Speaking of Shabnam, I am STILL waiting to find out what her BIG secret is!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting if she had had an abortion and her regret is what turned her to Islam.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,424
    Forum Member
    tini wrote: »
    Even when she was a bitch, it was still good to have a strong woman with principles. At the end of the day, she said what we all would have thought if we'd walked in to Walford IRL!

I would be terrible if I lived there. You think the gossips bad now, it would increase tenfold :D
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why they delayed her 'secret' being revealed until the autumn? I hope its because a certain Zainab is on her way back ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rick_Poppa wrote: »
    Because modern day Britain is not like that, sadly.... I know plenty of Muslim males in Leeds who have wives or girlfriends but also cheat and sleep with men on the side and probably think nothing of it.....

Speaking of Shabnam, I am STILL waiting to find out what her BIG secret is!!

I know plenty of men AND women like that in London, but I would never use their misconduct as a staple of Islam in modern day Britain. Pretty mindless thing to say to be honest, because I know an even larger proportion of Muslims that could take that to offence.

Speaking of Shabnam, I think the fact that there's been no build-up is a bit disappointing and I would have at least expected them to give us a bit of a drumroll, but I fear that when the secret does come out it'll feel a bit random and disjointed - we know more about the new influx of Carters than we know of Shabnam, which is even more disappointing, but I'll still look forward to finding out if the "big secret" is enough to redeem her character for me..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why they delayed her 'secret' being revealed until the autumn? I hope its because a certain Zainab is on her way back ;)

I would love that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know plenty of men AND women like that in London, but I would never use their misconduct as a staple of Islam in modern day Britain. Pretty mindless thing to say to be honest, because I know an even larger proportion of Muslims that could take that to offence.

Speaking of Shabnam, I think the fact that there's been no build-up is a bit disappointing and I would have at least expected them to give us a bit of a drumroll, but I fear that when the secret does come out it'll feel a bit random and disjointed - we know more about the new influx of Carters than we know of Shabnam, which is even more disappointing, but I'll still look forward to finding out if the "big secret" is enough to redeem her character for me..

Hopefully something meaningful.
    Not that she conned a bloke in Pakistan to get a burger van! :D
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    I thought she was going to get with Lee.
  • Options
    Ste_MurraySte_Murray Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    DTC has said she has a massive story coming up a the end of summer and we find out what really happened why she was away
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be better if she got with Lee. It would be so interesting. Lee and Whitney are boring.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she's a bitch, she's just the Zainab type of character, just brutally honest
    I still find it hilarious how people called her 'racist' against white people, when I'm white and I didn't take what she said racially at all
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her. She isn't a bitch. She's been away for years and she came back to see her family has fallen apart. A brother who is gay, married and now living away. Her parents splitting up. Tamwar falling ever deep in his self pity. She missed a lot. She likely feels responsible for not being there to help.

She has become a victim of another storyline being sidelined for a long time at the moment. She was brought back about six months ago and we still don't know her secret.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just a very blunt person, not necessarily a bitchy, as for the 'racist' undertones I think it was interesting to see it from a different perspective and I wouldn't exactly call it racist but she gone from living in a westernized lifestyle and having opinions that are not atoned to a traditional Muslim upbringing, she was gone for six years living Pakistan seeing a very different way of life, how can she not change as a person.

She comes home to divorce parents, a divorce brother and reckless father dating a white woman with a dubious history, it's not the moral views she has or had growing up, let's be honest anyone who isn't her mother will always be a problem for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Hopefully something meaningful.
    Not that she conned a bloke in Pakistan to get a burger van! :D

Ha ha! This would be funny! I'd love if she did an Alfie and the big twist comes from the fact that the meat isn't halal :o:o:o - that would most definitely send serious shockwaves through the square...
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,128
    Forum Member
    She's still got a bitchy tone but now it is being used for comedy.

She's AMAZING. I love her. Really hope she comes to the fore this Autumn.