Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality

Comments

• VanillaPodVanillaPod Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The Postman Pat scene was one of my favourites in the history of Corrie, and I've been watching it for over 30 years :o

I always thought this scene must have been inspired by one of the scriptwriters losing something in the post, and getting no joy from the Royal Mail complaint line. Blanche must have been a great outlet for all sorts of fury :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does Nick need Kelly to pinch the company accounts? Does he (or the scriptwriters) nnot realise they are a public document, available for a very small fee from Companies House.

He could get them emailed same day!! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Leanne worried about Peter getting Simon from school, asking him if they were allowed to do that. Errrrrrr............He is his dad, isn't he?????
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand Nick! You would think with what Gail is going through, he'd be supporting her, but instead he's copping off with Kelly and chasing after shares in the factory! Never thought I'd say this, but given how useless Nick has been lately, it's good Gail's got David for support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll bet Kelly steals a ledger book when she takes the accounts. In reality a set of annual accounts is a P&L Account and a Balance Sheet and occasionally some Director statements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does Nick want the accounts for anyway? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    I'll bet Kelly steals a ledger book when she takes the accounts. In reality a set of annual accounts is a P&L Account and a Balance Sheet and occasionally some Director statements.

Oh, isnt it only accounts for public companies that are available for the general public viewing? Underworld is a private company, so therefore the accounts wouldnt be available online or publically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Letting Simon go for candy floss on his own is silly..He couldve got nabbed..
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Why is everyone obsessed with buying shares in the factory? The number of times someone has bought half of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    CLA29 wrote: »
    Why is everyone obsessed with buying shares in the factory? The number of times someone has bought half of it.

Just another bloke on testosterone (cant spell) overdrive wanting to get into Carla's underworld!!
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely they would all be on the computer and Kelly doesn't seem to be computer literate to me:D
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does Nick want the accounts for anyway? :confused:

so he can assess the likely value of the business before making an offer for shares; I wonder how much "work in progress" is valued at :eek:
  • charliestubbscharliestubbs Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did email ITV over the accuracy of how quickly Becky had gotten over her miscarriage and how quickly Sally seemed to have been treated for cancer and got the following response:
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding Coronation Street.
    I can fully appreciate your concerns over the medical accuracy in Coronation Street and I will of course forward these on to both our Producer and Researcher and I apologise for any anxiety we caused you by these scenes. When producing episodes of Coronation Street we have to deliberate how we are going to match the requirements of the storyline and character portrayal against the responsibility of accuracy. We cannot give so much information that Coronation Street stops becoming a serial drama, which it is, and becomes a drama-documentary programme, which it makes no pretence to be. The vast majority of our viewers accepts this dramatic veracity and do not want or expect absolute accuracy. We do consult the local medical authority for advice on stories so we are not so far outside the realms of realism as to make the story totally unbelievable but not so realistic that we stray too far into reality. Time shifts in drama are not unusual and increase the pace in story telling but we ensure that this does not detract from the seriousness of the subject matter.
    I’m disappointed to read that you feel that the high standards of acting, writing and production for which Coronation Street is rightly famed have fallen over the Sally story and it's wider repercussions. As Coronation Street is one of the most popular shows on British television and with an audience from every background we do on occasion run the risk of disappointing a small proportion of the millions of viewers who watch but I can assure you this is never intentional. We have always striven to entertain and engage every-one of our viewers therefore it saddens me to read we have failed to meet your expectations.
    We of course have taken your comments onboard and I have made sure they have reached both our Producer and Series Editor. If you would like to take this matter further you can contact our governing regulatory body, Ofcom at Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HA. Once again thank you for your e-mail and I do hope that Coronation Street continues to entertain you for many more years.
    Yours with Best Wishes, David Nugent
    Coronation Street.

Just in case your slightly confused I did have a little rant about Molvins dominance over Christmas!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, isnt it only accounts for public companies that are available for the general public viewing? Underworld is a private company, so therefore the accounts wouldnt be available online or publically.

No, all limited companies (LTD Co) or Public Limited Company (PLC) must submit annual account to Companies House and all are available to the general public.

A Limited Company can be a man working on his own who chooses to be limited rather than self-employed or a huge business employing several hundred people. A limited Company has shares, (even if it is run by one person - a builder working on his own can be limited). Underworld has shares so by definition it is a Limited Company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Surely they would all be on the computer and Kelly doesn't seem to be computer literate to me:D

The current year accounts (bookkeeping) would be on the computer but to get the true value of a business, previous full year accounts should be looked at. As many years as possible. As I said before, these are available to anyone from the Companies House website.

If your neighbour or relative runs a limited company, you can find out how he is doing and how much salary he had in previous years!!! Also any liabilities or assetts the company may have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Yes, I would have thought any normal person would need to grieve the loss of one baby before they could even think of having another.:(

As for Sally's story, that just stopped in mid air. Pathetic.:mad:

So many stories in Corrie seem to stop in mid air and then are conveniently forgotten.

We had major, hand wringing, tear stained face drama over Ryan and Michelle's other son. Now he is never seen or mentioned, like it never happened.

Also Fred gave Ashley a house, left him the butchers shop, the pub and he was the sort of bloke to have money stashed, then suddenly Ashley is so skint, he and Cluuuurrrr have to exchange houses with the Websters, yeah right.

It all seems to have got like this since Kim Crowther took over.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    so he can assess the likely value of the business before making an offer for shares; I wonder how much "work in progress" is valued at :eek:

As well as stocks of raw material ; the £10,000 of widgets you bought when you were expecting to get a big order. You didn't get it, and the widgets are useless for anything else.
    Naturally you keep the value at purchase price in the books; so useful if you want to sell the business.
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Why does George get custody over simon from the courts when they hardly know him surely he would need to fill out forms and they would need to assess him
  • RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I always find it quite funny how quickly characters can sober up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    As well as stocks of raw material ; the £10,000 of widgets you bought when you were expecting to get a big order. You didn't get it, and the widgets are useless for anything else.
    Naturally you keep the value at purchase price in the books; so useful if you want to sell the business.

No, stock has to be valued at the LOWER of cost or nett resaleable value. So in this case, as the widgets are useless for anything else, they would be valued at £0.00.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does George get custody over simon from the courts when they hardly know him surely he would need to fill out forms and they would need to assess him

Because he's got money and that inevitably means he knows and can influence everyone and anyone. maybe the scriptwriters arent doing enough to put across the fact that George has money...
  • CheshireCatkinCheshireCatkin Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Because he's got money and that inevitably means he knows and can influence everyone and anyone. maybe the scriptwriters arent doing enough to put across the fact that George has money...

I think they are clubbing us over the head with the fact that George has got money. He was financing the bar and did not bat an eyelid when it failed before it even got going. He lives in a beautiful house, drives a swish car, has a second home in Berkshire and wanted to pay for Simon to have private education. I think they have made it more than obvious that George is not short of a bob or two!
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, stock has to be valued at the LOWER of cost or nett resaleable value. So in this case, as the widgets are useless for anything else, they would be valued at £0.00.

In theory, yes, or if you bring in a professional valuer. But isn't net resaleable value a matter of opinion? If I advertise them on ebay as "buy now" at twice their cost, just before the end of my financial year, what's the book value?
  • billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The current year accounts (bookkeeping) would be on the computer but to get the true value of a business, previous full year accounts should be looked at. As many years as possible. As I said before, these are available to anyone from the Companies House website.

If your neighbour or relative runs a limited company, you can find out how he is doing and how much salary he had in previous years!!! Also any liabilities or assetts the company may have.
    There is a (small) charge for this, but yes, someone in Nick's position would look there first, and take the accounts with a slight pinch of salt (companies sometimes want to make themselves look more profitable if they're after investment, sometimes less profitable if they want to avoid paying tax). But it's the best guide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    billio wrote: »
    There is a (small) charge for this, but yes, someone in Nick's position would look there first, and take the accounts with a slight pinch of salt (companies sometimes want to make themselves look more profitable if they're after investment, sometimes less profitable if they want to avoid paying tax). But it's the best guide.

They are actually a legal document.
This discussion has been closed.