Sky gnome - now available!

13»

Comments

• BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lack of the battery meter seems like a silly ommision to me. Been sitting at the PC for a hour listening to Capital FM and was just about to head for the shower and its died! Now on charge again :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Have charged Gnome and connected as insrtuctions but cannot get link to work second tv anbody else having same problem Phoned Sky they did not have aclue what I was talking about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Have charged Gnome and connected as insrtuctions but cannot get link to work second tv anbody else having same problem Phoned Sky they did not have aclue what I was talking about

Neither do I I'm afraid :-) Can you explain exactly what doesn't work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JackPaar wrote:
    If you like listening to radio in your shed whilst playing with your train set, this is a handy product.

I think I might get one. Hope it sells well for Christmas.
    it would be very handy for that indeed.
    but also rather expensive at £70. just buy a radio for under a tenner :)
  • JackPaarJackPaar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to Big L and can only get it on Sky. Same with many of the other radio stations on Sky that I can't get on a small FM radio.
  • Roger G CamRoger G Cam Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conventional tranny - what? 4 BBC stations and 2 or 3 independents plus a local station?

DAB - where I live no more than 21 stations.

Sky DAB - over 90 Radio Stations plus you can listen to programmes recorded on Sky Plus or audio from TV.

Roger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    jogu wrote:
    Neither do I I'm afraid :-) Can you explain exactly what doesn't work?

It's probably the same problem as I am having. If I connect the Gnome datalink adapter to RF2 and then daisy-chain my TV Link to that, the TV Link no longer functions. I assume the Gnome adaptor is blocking the power as the TV Link red light is no longer lit. It seems that they can't work together :mad:
    Forum Member
    djh wrote:
    It's probably the same problem as I am having. If I connect the Gnome datalink adapter to RF2 and then daisy-chain my TV Link to that, the TV Link no longer functions. I assume the Gnome adaptor is blocking the power as the TV Link red light is no longer lit. It seems that they can't work together :mad:

I've *definitely* got a gnome and TV link working together.

Double check the RF2 power is still on maybe (and try switching it off then on again)? Unless sky have two different models of gnome, one that passes through the power and one that doesn't :-/

If you're keen to get them working together, it might be worth trying a power injector from http://www.tvlink.co.uk/ - connect this up after the gnome and before the tvlink, and it should provide the power for the tvlink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem and Sky told me I had to buy a Y Splitter. But looking at the fitting I would have thought that was a Y Splitter.

Duff components.

Roger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can't believe sky have not inculded a batery meter, this is something very basic and would be very usefull.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Come on then!

Who is going to be first to post the protocol on the RS232 port for us (me) :)

So we can finally get some feedback from RF2 commands.
    Forum Member
    Cakeboy wrote:
    Come on then!

Who is going to be first to post the protocol on the RS232 port for us (me) :)

Huh, you mean you've not figured it out yet? It's really very trivial ;)
    So we can finally get some feedback from RF2 commands.

Who needs feedback? RF2 commands are completely reliable :-)

(PS. \x0A<packet length>
    <data type><data len><data>
    <...repeat..>
    <data type><data len><data><checksum> iirc)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jogu wrote:

(PS. \x0A<packet length>
    <...repeat..>

Thats what I like about Sky Gnome - it's so easy to install.

Roger
    Forum Member
    jogu wrote:

(PS. \x0A<packet length>
    <...repeat..>

Nope....I give up....I think you are teasing me (aren't you! :confused: ) or have I missed a post!

Am I correct in thinking that the data is coming out of my box right now, even without a gnome?
    Forum Member
    Cakeboy wrote:
    Nope....I give up....I think you are teasing me (aren't you! :confused: ) or have I missed a post!

I did post some other hints elsewhere :) (ukha list probably)
    Am I correct in thinking that the data is coming out of my box right now, even without a gnome?

Yep. It's 57600 8N1 serial data.

The packet types are (you'll have to excuse me for presenting this in C code):

{ "SSCN", "Channel number" },
    { "SSCA", "Channel name" },
    { "SSDT", "Current time" },
    { "SST0", "Start of program" },
    { "SSN0", "Program name" },
    { "SSE0", "Program description" },
    { "CE00", "Entering channel" },
    { "CEER", "Enter channel error" },
    { "SYIC", "SYIC - ??" }, // -- (sky), 8080 (pin protected chan)
    { "SYFS", "Audio unavailable" },
    { "SYD1", "System display" },
    { "PUCP", "Error" }, /* enter pin or 'audio unavail (not subscribed)
    { "SYST", "Power off" },
    { "SYIA", "Interactive" },

The sky box sends out the current channel info (SSCN/SSCA/SSDT/SST0/SSN0/SSE0) every 60 seconds.

I'll try and write up the procotol in a bit more detail sometime. When I do it'll be published on my website ( http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/ ).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cakeboy wrote:

Ofcourse, how else would it work?
    Forum Member
    jogu wrote:
    I did post some other hints elsewhere :) (ukha list probably)

Yep. It's 57600 8N1 serial data.

The packet types are (you'll have to excuse me for presenting this in C code):

{ "SSCN", "Channel number" },
    { "SSCA", "Channel name" },
    { "SSDT", "Current time" },
    { "SST0", "Start of program" },
    { "SSN0", "Program name" },
    { "SSE0", "Program description" },
    { "CE00", "Entering channel" },
    { "CEER", "Enter channel error" },
    { "SYIC", "SYIC - ??" }, // -- (sky), 8080 (pin protected chan)
    { "SYFS", "Audio unavailable" },
    { "SYD1", "System display" },
    { "PUCP", "Error" }, /* enter pin or 'audio unavail (not subscribed)
    { "SYST", "Power off" },
    { "SYIA", "Interactive" },

The sky box sends out the current channel info (SSCN/SSCA/SSDT/SST0/SSN0/SSE0) every 60 seconds.

I'll try and write up the procotol in a bit more detail sometime. When I do it'll be published on my website ( http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/ ).

Now I believe you! I didn't realise you were the Mr. Heenan. :D
    Actually I know your site well already, as I am working on a usb/rf2 interface myself plus a customised sky remote. Although I do take my hat off to your design, beautifully simple, minimial components. Didn't want to just copy, so taking a different approach.

Right, better 'sniff' that port now!

I'll keep an eye on your site. Thanks for info. :)
    Forum Member
    Cakeboy wrote:
    Now I believe you! I didn't realise you were the Mr. Heenan. :D

;)
    Actually I know your site well already, as I am working on a usb/rf2 interface myself plus a customised sky remote. Although I do take my hat off to your design, beautifully simple, minimial components. Didn't want to just copy, so taking a different approach.

Right, better 'sniff' that port now!

I'll keep an eye on your site. Thanks for info. :)

Hehe, thanks :)

How about spilling some beans then? what sort of customised sky remote? What's good about your controller?

(Do you have a website somewhere? I'd imagine there are some things we could cooperate on and save some effort :-) )
    Forum Member
    I've written up what I know now:

http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/gnome-protocol.html

Any additions/corrections more than welcome.
    Forum Member
    jogu wrote:
    I've written up what I know now:

http://www.heenan.me.uk/control-sky-from-pc/gnome-protocol.html

Any additions/corrections more than welcome.

Nice one, now that's what I call service! Your were right it is simple. I guess Sky thought what's the point trying to make it hard, someone will only crack it eventually.

My custom remote, when I get it done! :( , is designed to fulfil my desire for a programmable remote which is in a Sky remote case. Basically reverse engineering the existing remote internally.

I've played around with other 'N-in-1' remotes but they never feel quite as nice in the hand. Plus I found I needed macros that 'played' a bit quicker.

If I get anything good going I may do a web page if other people find it of use. :)
    Forum Member
    Cakeboy wrote:
    Nice one, now that's what I call service! Your were right it is simple. I guess Sky thought what's the point trying to make it hard, someone will only crack it eventually.

Not a problem :) I'd appreciate a credit if you use those details in anything you develop/release!
    My custom remote, when I get it done! :( , is designed to fulfil my desire for a programmable remote which is in a Sky remote case. Basically reverse engineering the existing remote internally.

I've played around with other 'N-in-1' remotes but they never feel quite as nice in the hand. Plus I found I needed macros that 'played' a bit quicker.

That sounds *really* interesting, I've found the same myself :(. Do drop me an email if you get anywhere, or want anyone to bounce ideas off (joseph@heenan.me.uk).