Options

Caught red handed bbc1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
Forum Member
✭✭
I find it all a bit dodgy. The police leaving a laptop in the middle of the town centre and then arresting people for theft if they pick it up. Is blatent entrapment.
I can understand if they go out intentionally to steal the laptop but leaving it there as bait is a bit cruel. How do they know that the person who has the laptop isnt going to take it to the police station later?

Comments

• Options
    harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it all a bit dodgy. The police leaving a laptop in the middle of the town centre and then arresting people for theft if they pick it up. Is blatent entrapment.
    I can understand if they go out intentionally to steal the laptop but leaving it there as bait is a bit cruel. How do they know that the person who has the laptop isnt going to take it to the police station later?

Stolen by a well known thief in that area.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stolen by a well known thief in that area.

Yep he was a well known thief however is still entrapment.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cound't believe those stupid women, who were rushing across the level crossing with their pushchairs, while the lights were going and the barriers were coming down! :eek:
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many police forces have been doing it with cars for a long time but it does seem very dodgy, if not illegal then certainly unethical. Probably relies on the scum doing the thieving not being able to afford expensive lawyers.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep he was a well known thief however is still entrapment.

I agree. The offence would not have happened if the police had not left the laptop there seemingly unattended.

It is one thing for police to set up hidden surveillance in a situation where crime is likely to happen, such as a car park where cars have been stolen, or a changing room where someone breaks into lockers, but quite another for them to deliberately leave bait.