Options

What is the purpose of the 'Music Video'?

007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They are not cheap (usually) to make and are a secondary format to the essential audio of a song. So what are the benefits of making music videos? Does it really help sell records ?

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think music videos allow an artist to present themselves to the world without having to make live appearances. Therefore the music video is a purposeful marketing and promotional tool.

However, through time and with the influence of certain pioneering artists like Bowie, MJ, Peter Gabriel, Madonna etc the music video is now a recognised art form.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the thing about music videos what annoys me is they always mime in them, they should sing live if they can, which many cant
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the thing about music videos what annoys me is they always mime in them, they should sing live if they can, which many cant

The studio version of the song is ALWAYS put over the video so what would be the point.

the video is purely a promotional tool to promote an artist and their current single.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Theyre used to promote music.

Also some people don't listen to the radio/spotify/etc and only watch music videos so that's their only way of knowing what songs to buy.

Theyre more important than ever now though since you can buy music videos on iTunes and views of MV's on youtube in the US help towards the charting position.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a promotion tool to promote the song, sometimes a video can enhance or bring a song to life. Or can allow the artist to bring the song out in their own vision and to get the true meaning of the song out.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I think the decline of the music video began around 2004/2005. Most of them these days are just done on the cheap and just look crap. I very rarely watch them now.

Even artists like Madonna who was once the queen of the music video has seemingly stopped spending time on them.