Queen + Adam Lambert UK Tour

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
As there's no specific thread on this, I thought I would create one :) I've been fortunate enough to go to the Glasgow and Manchester dates and have had an absolute blast. To say I think everything from the setlists to the lighting to the performances themselves have been incredible is a massive understatement :D

I know there are some 'it's not Queen' (correct: it's Queen + Adam Lambert) and 'Adam is no Freddie' (also correct: Freddie is the best frontman ever; Adam is IMO quite possibly the best singer and frontman in the world right now) detractors, as we saw in the New Year's Eve Big Ben performance thread but I was hoping this could be a positive one with people's thoughts on the tour :)

To me, these shows are a celebration of all things Queen, Freddie and are showcasing a singer and performer who is finally beginning to get the wider (he already has a dedicated, hardcore fanbase in his 'Glamberts') recognition his amazing talent deserves. Going once to experience it all just wasn't enough for me; I had to do it all again :):p The reviews in the press and response to the dates on social media has been absolutely phenomenal. Anyone that's got to tickets to the remaining dates - you're in for an absolute treat. Look forward to it and soak it all in :cool:

Here's some videos (not mine):-

Intro/One Vision Glasgow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phImQhd_Il8

Love of My Life Glasgow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgQatEoUgd8

Who Wants To Live Forever Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G9hNQ8ea6U

Save Me Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpkMDxR5rVs

Radio Gaga Glasgow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7nt7luUsI8

Somebody To Love Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3VjMP3dz8

Comments

• Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at the New Years Eve show and to be honest didn't particularly enjoy it and at the time posted initial thoughts on the thread you mention reflecting that. In retrospect it was partly my fault though as I got there a bit late and could barely get into the actual hall part. I had to sort of stand in doorway/entrance area as there was no space to comfortably get in other than being incredibly rude and barging your way through, which is not really my style. I thought the sound in the actual venue that night was awful and that added to the disappointment. However, once I watched the BBC broadcast, I saw it in a different light and thought it was excellent. As a result I got a last minute ticket for their second show at the 02 last Sunday. That was one of the best gigs I've ever seen, absolutely my second best in the last 12 months surpassing the likes of Goldfrapp, Suede, Jesus & Mary Chain, Sparks, the original Status Quo line up and Billy Idol. Bettered only by Prince at the Roundhouse, but they ran him a very close second.
    This Queen/Adam Lambert line up put on 95% of one hell of an entertaining show. It only dipped for me a bit in the middle when we got a sort of bass solo and also the drum battle/solo bit. But that's a minor complaint. Adam Lambert is a phenomenally good vocalist and frontman who appears to sing (and put his own spin) on these songs with shockingly admirable ease and fully deserves the 4/5 star reviews he and the shows are constantly getting. The guys an utter potential super star in the making. There was talk at the 02 that it was being filmed for a future DVD release, I really hope that happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really happy for Brian & Roger that they've found a frontman that they can go on the road with . .
    It can't have been easy losing Freddie & then wondering 'What are we going do now' . .

It's taken a good few years but now it's fallen into place.

I'd like to catch the show too . .

Respect to Adam for filling Freddie's shoes in his own way . .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Torch81 - I enjoyed the NYE performance on TV but felt a bit underwhelmed at the time. When I watched it a second time (sober :p ), I realised part of it was due to the relatively poor sound. The first four songs (prior to Another One Bites The Dust) had Adam turned down too low and Brian too high, and the frequencies were cutting into each other. Thankfully, it got much better. I think it was a good warm-up for the tour but couldn't quite convey the awesomeness like a big arena with a more professional sound setup can to the neutrals and casual watchers.

This (either of the dates I attended) was hands-down the best show I've ever seen. The feeling of being part of something special was bigger than ever before at a gig. Just sensational. Prince is also on my 'to go see' list! I'm hoping he will announce a world/European tour with 3rd Eye Girl at some point.

I heard the O2 DVD/Blu Ray rumours, too. I'll be pre-ordering it immediately and counting down the months until it inhabits my surround system :D

Hootie - Agreed. I'm happy for Brian and Roger and also really happy for Adam, who I've been a big fan of since he first appeared on American Idol, singing Bohemian Rhapsody! As well as his incredible vocals, he interprets the songs so well and really works the crowd. And let's not forget Rufus Taylor (2nd drummer), Spike Edney (keyboards) and Neil Fairclough (bass) - they're doing an amazing job too :cool:
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at the Manchester show in midweek and was completely stunned by just how good it was. Everything on the night was spot-on, and the whole band was in great form. Brian in particular was in tremendous form, and seemed to be having the time of his life up there. Roger looked shattered by the end he put so much into the show, and his son Rufus was incredible on Tie Your Mother Down.

Adam Lambert was sensational. I would go to see Brian and Roger regardless of the singer, but damn he did well and the crowd loved him. He is such a good fit for the mood and atmosphere created by the setlist.

I allowed myself to record a few videos of songs that didn't really call for our participation, but of course I was singing along throughout, so unless someone can recommend me a video editing program that can remove my single voice from the recordings without affecting the rest of the audio, then they are staying well away from public eyes :o
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I've loved what I've seen of them so far. I'd love for them to work on some music with Adam, maybe for his solo career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to the O2 last Sunday. It was amazing. I have been a fan of Adam Lambert since the early days but this was the first live show for me. Even better than I hoped.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter went to the New Years Eve show in London and to the Birmingham show last night and Is absolutely bowled over with Adam Lambert and how he has slotted into the band, the NYE show she thought was one of the best shows she has ever been to!......... And she has been to a few I can tell you!....... She had a front row seat upstairs right in front of them and was right in Adams eyeline and she says he Is a right flirt with all the eyeballing he does!....lol....... She thinks he is fantastic!..............:D
  • Bandit06Bandit06 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Saw them at the 02 last weekend and it was fantastic - great lighting & sound plus of course wonderful musicianship of Brian & Roger....and Adam Lambert is doing a fine job.

Freddies mum & sister in the audience at Nottingham tonight & also enjoying seeing the show and feeling the love for Freddie 👍
    Forum Member
    Bandit06 wrote: »
    Saw them at the 02 last weekend and it was fantastic - great lighting & sound plus of course wonderful musicianship of Brian & Roger....and Adam Lambert is doing a fine job.

Freddies mum & sister in the audience at Nottingham tonight & also enjoying seeing the show and feeling the love for Freddie 👍

Yeah, I heard about his Mum attending. Wonderful to hear :)

Enjoying reading all your thoughts, keep them coming :cool:
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Is their a age limit on who can attend these or is it over 18+?
    Forum Member
    Is their a age limit on who can attend these or is it over 18+?

The only restriction is that under-14s must be accompanied by an adult, and the standing section in front of the stage isn't really for kids. I took my 12-year-old to the Manchester date and there was even kids younger than him there :D :cool:
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only restriction is that under-14s must be accompanied by an adult, and the standing section in front of the stage isn't really for kids. I took my 12-year-old to the Manchester date and there was even kids younger than him there :D :cool:

Lucky lad :cool:

Did he enjoy the show? I offered to take my cousin with me to Manchester and she was basically horrified at the idea of going to see some old rockstars. Given that her last concert was to see Bieber, I've pretty much given-up on her :p
    Forum Member
    Dxfatass wrote: »
    Lucky lad :cool:

Did he enjoy the show? I offered to take my cousin with me to Manchester and she was basically horrified at the idea of going to see some old rockstars. Given that her last concert was to see Bieber, I've pretty much given-up on her :p

He had a whale of a time :D Such a shame he had a stomach-ache and had to miss school that day in order to go ;-)

I think anyone of any age and musical taste will enjoy shows like this, and it's also introducing them to 'real' music :cool:
    Forum Member
    Well, that's the UK & European tour over. It's been a pleasure not only attending 2 dates, but seeing the amazing response, particularly on social media and in reviews. I feel like the mainstream press should have covered it a bit more, but the likes of the Daily Mail would only attract idiotic comments anyway, so no biggie.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts and memories? :)