worried about my grandma

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
firstly sorry if i've posted here and not replied, i forget to check back for responses :(

i have been worried recently though about my grandma. she's in her early 80s and for the past few weeks [as odd as this sounds] she's been telling me, my mum and a few others that she knows exactly what they are going to say and what's going to happen in emmerdale and coronation street :confused:

apparently it's only those two tv shows and it's not so much the storylines but the words the actors are going to say/when someone's going to walk into a room etc. specific stuff she couldn't possibly know because she always watches them when they are first shown on itv and doesn't have the internet or cable or anything :confused:

anyway she's been saying this for 4-5 weeks now and i'm a bit worried she might be starting to have problems with her memory but if that was the case she'd be forgetting things not seeming to know things that haven't even happened?

i mean she's not had the best memory for the past 10-15 years since i was a kid but nothing more than a lot of older people i think it's fair to say and she hasn't come out with anything odd like this until now ..am i right to be worried?

anyway i'll definitely check back so any replies would be really appreciated.

Comments

• CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sign of a brain tumour I'd imagine.
  • goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosin wrote: »
    Sign of a brain tumour I'd imagine.

I'd tell her to get herself checked out. Obviously go with her and see what the crack is. Hopefully she's OK and its just a benign sign of old age. Good luck. I hope she's OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »
    I'd tell her to get herself checked out. Obviously go with her and see what the crack is. Hopefully she's OK and its just a benign sign of old age. Good luck. I hope she's OK.

So tell her then. I saw a film once with John Travolta where he develops super powers but only because his tumour makes his brain do powerful things and then he's in bed with his wife at the end of the film and he says 'Its happening' and then he passes away.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I bet your grandma has a mobile phone stashed somewhere and she reads spoilers on DS.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    While I agree it would pay to get her checked out it could also be the thing where old people say they know this, that or the other would happen after the event. It's part of making out that because of your age you know everything. My Dad will be adamant he knew X was going to happen, when in reality he knew no such thing. He won't back down though because enough people pay him attention for it and he thinks it's because they're impressed.
    Also does your Gran get papers with a free telly magazine? They often have a rundown of what is going to happen in the soaps for the forthcoming weeks.
  • goodol lsgoodol ls Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So tell her then. I saw a film once with John Travolta where he develops super powers but only because his tumour makes his brain do powerful things and then he's in bed with his wife at the end of the film and he says 'Its happening' and then he passes away.

There's nothing like scaring people with as yet an unsubstantiated claim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I agree it would pay to get her checked out it could also be the thing where old people say they know this, that or the other would happen after the event. It's part of making out that because of your age you know everything. My Dad will be adamant he knew X was going to happen, when in reality he knew no such thing. He won't back down though because enough people pay him attention for it and he thinks it's because they're impressed.
    Also does your Gran get papers with a free telly magazine? They often have a rundown of what is going to happen in the soaps for the forthcoming weeks.

Do these papers mention these programs have alternate endings and rehashed scripts.

Oh wait, your Dad would know this....
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    firstly sorry if i've posted here and not replied, i forget to check back for responses :(

i have been worried recently though about my grandma. she's in her early 80s and for the past few weeks [as odd as this sounds] she's been telling me, my mum and a few others that she knows exactly what they are going to say and what's going to happen in emmerdale and coronation street :confused:

apparently it's only those two tv shows and it's not so much the storylines but the words the actors are going to say/when someone's going to walk into a room etc. specific stuff she couldn't possibly know because she always watches them when they are first shown on itv and doesn't have the internet or cable or anything :confused:

anyway she's been saying this for 4-5 weeks now and i'm a bit worried she might be starting to have problems with her memory but if that was the case she'd be forgetting things not seeming to know things that haven't even happened?

i mean she's not had the best memory for the past 10-15 years since i was a kid but nothing more than a lot of older people i think it's fair to say and she hasn't come out with anything odd like this until now ..am i right to be worried?

Not sure if those programmes are repeated as I never watch them, but it may be possible she has seen the original, forgot she's watched it, but then remembers certain lines within it, when she watches the repeat.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do these papers mention these programs have alternate endings and rehashed scripts.

the story lines are rehashed and have been since the 1980s

I think this is something more like Deja Vue however - which is a brain phenomena

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    the story lines are rehashed and have been since the 1980s

I think this is something more like Deja Vue however - which is a brain phenomena

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu

Either that or start a thread. Deja Vous is often less effort
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member

They only do that on special story lines.
    And as I said my Dad is always wise after the event. Are you hard of understanding or just nasty?
  • itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starfoxx has your grandma been ill recently, with an infection or anything of that sort? This can sometimes temporarily affect the elderly mentally, but seeing what you have said, I have to say that my mum suffered from something similar at around the same age and it happened after she had been hospitalised for blood poisoning. In her case though it affected virtually everything. She thought she had seen all newspapers before, all programmes, she even told my daughter who was small back then that she had seen her spellings before. She was also convinced she had met people when she couldn't have done. But she was so convincing that strangers thought it was true not realising that her 'deja vu' was so prolific. My mum would get quite annoyed if you told her things weren't possible. Sadly she drove my poor dad potty with her constant insistence that things were 'repeats' even live football matches She, like your grandma, would say that she knew things were going to happen. And if you disagreed then she would say 'well I must be psychic then'. And yet she could also be quite mentally normal.
    Unfortunately though her 'repeats' mental state never went away. It was obvious that something must have happened when she was ill but nobody was able to give us any medical explanation as to what or why. So I would definitely recommend that you suggest your grandma has a medical check and has someone go with her. We found my mum was very good at appearing quite normal when with medical folk and, of course, as there are lots of repeats on TV they just assumed that's what she was talking about. All this didn't stop my mum from living to the grand old age of almost 96 though. Hopefully your grandma's state of 'deja vu' is just a temporary blip.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »
    There's nothing like scaring people with as yet an unsubstantiated claim.
    When you ask for medical advice on a chat forum you should expect ill informed, idiotic responses such as Cosin's "It's a brain tumour" based on a "I saw a film once with John Travolta where he develops super powers".
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starfoxxx wrote: »

discuss it with her family . Involve the doctor and get her as much help as possible, if help is needed.