Options

W1A (Series 2) - Thursdays, BBC2

Comments

• Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started watching this series, and am quite enjoying it. I do agree with some of the criticism on here though. My favorite character so far is the Welsh woman:D
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Not good. I think I blamed the actors in the past but they're great. The problem is the script. Far too much interruption. 'Yes, but,' 'no let me finish' 'yeah' 'cool' is pretty much every conversation on the show trying to get a laugh.
    The thing is, that is the reality of modern office life - especially in large firms. If you've never come across it then no, you won't find it funny as it might as well be in a different language.

However, just as people watch horror films and stuff about vampires to confront their fears of everyday life and other people - so it is with W1A. It's funny because those of us who do deal with these annoying types use the programme to "unload" our feelings about them through laughter.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    It's becoming hard work, as if the scriptwriters have decided that the whole show is based on the premise that no-one can complete a sentence and nobody must ever make a decision. It was a relief when Izzy & the other bloke held a normal conversation halfway through.

We watched it without really watching it as it was so unengaging, then put Carshare on. Wow what a difference. Nicely observed, character & dialogue driven, and really quite funny in parts.

Sorry W1A. You're a one-trick pony and that trick has become boring.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the first episode. The way that no one is able to actually say what they want to is perfect. Also the Clarkson stuff had me in fits of laughter.

Second one, not so much. It was basically the same jokes repeated.
  • Options
    spikejspikej Posts: 3,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in the entertainment industry, and it's full of people like the characters in this show. Love it, it's very funny. I especially like the few characters who sees the bullsh*t for what it is and in complete desperation.

Funnier than anything on Sk*.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    I can see why some don't like it and also some find it irritating but I really liked last
    night's episode. Thought it was very funny. I do think however they need to be careful
    not to become too repetitive or over-expose certain characters.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,038
    Forum Member
    I started watching this recently.

I'm quite enjoying it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I didn't see the first series. Just watched episode 1 of series 2.....it's dire.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    It's becoming hard work, as if the scriptwriters have decided that the whole show is based on the premise that no-one can complete a sentence and nobody must ever make a decision.

Sorry W1A. You're a one-trick pony and that trick has become boring.

Indeed, I agree, it's becoming an annoying watch, yes there may be a lot of 'yes men' in the corporate world and lots of meetings about meetings where nothing ever gets decided, but I expect most can at least finish a sentence.

Will the intern is a bit too daft as well, not a realistic portrayal.
  • Options
    AlienExplorerAlienExplorer Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Indeed, I agree, it's becoming an annoying watch, yes there may be a lot of 'yes men' in the corporate world and lots of meetings about meetings where nothing ever gets decided, but I expect most can at least finish a sentence.

Will the intern is a bit too daft as well, not a realistic portrayal.

It's not meant to be a realistic portrayal, it's meant to be a parody, and in a parody, you exaggerate features that stand out.

I find it funny because there is more to it than people not completing sentences. Last week's episode for example, where they had to meet Prince Charles, the moment the high-tech gadget was introduced, I knew it would be a comedy of errors and the enjoyment was watching that play out.

This week was more about Will the Intern than anyone else. Will fancies Izzy, and once you realise that, you can start seeing the comedy of errors there (well, I do anyway).

I enjoy it ... I must be weird :)
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Liked this week, it was ok.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Liked this week, it was ok.

"Yes no very good"
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like it but I'd say it's more wryly amusing than laugh out loud funny, and probably a more accurate look at what goes on behind the scenes at the BBC than they'd admit. Head of Better is something you could actually imagine being a real thing in this day and age. :D
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are overdoing the yes no brilliants and there wasn't much of a plot to episode 2. The preview for ep3 looks good though.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    I can see why some don't like it and also some find it irritating but I really liked last
    night's episode. Thought it was very funny. I do think however they need to be careful
    not to become too repetitive or over-expose certain characters.

Yes, that's always a danger. It's just too easy to have the same characters repeating the same phrases.

I'd like to see more of Izzy, played by the wonderful and very lovely Ophelia Lovibond. Even her name is lovely.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was passed this ad in an work email:

Commissioning Delivery Manager

“The postholder will be specifically responsible for leading and resourcing a range of commissioning task-finish outcome-focussed project groups that follow the commissioning cycle as well as business as usual activity, by leading and having specific accountability to engage subject matter resources from across Strategy, Transformation and Commissioning Support and the new business as appropriate and building relationships with key partners to achieve this. This will require actual and virtual reporting to both ‘People’ and ‘Place’ Directors and Head of Service Commissioners.”

I can literally hear David Tennant reading that last sentence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Caught up with the first episode and the 60 mins format did it no favours. Thought the running around broadcasting house went on and on and on. Loved 2012 but this hasn't hit the same heights imho, despite a great cast who act sublimely. Hope it improves.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lainey23 wrote: »
    Caught up with the first episode and the 60 mins format did it no favours. Thought the running around broadcasting house went on and on and on. Loved 2012 but this hasn't hit the same heights imho, despite a great cast who act sublimely. Hope it improves.

I disagree. While I liked twenty twelve, I didn't think the characters were half as good. The likes of Tracy and Anna are so much better than Sally and Kay.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see what they are trying to do but feel they've just gone that little bit too far. Too many endlessly repeated noise words and Will is FAR too daft to be believable. It's supposed to be a parody, not completely surreal.

There were some brilliant parts, though. Ian's observations about, and reworking of, the management diagram, and Sarah Parish's sublime portrayal of someone who knows they are way out of their depth but hasn't a clue what to do about it.

One thing I could not understand was Izzy's going off on one when her colleague mentioned a job would becoming vacant. It's such a normal, everyday, thing in an office environment to talk about upcoming vacancies and he'd hardly said a word before she flew off the handle. Is there some history between these two that I've missed? The did seem rather cool and distant in the lift.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Is there some history between these two that I've missed? The did seem rather cool and distant in the lift.
    He fancies her;this is a way for her to owe him a big favour; she doesn't like the way he treats Will.

How sweet for Will to her a photo her on his sympatico (?) device.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit better this week, still too much yes/no/ah/er/quite also I'm getting the hots for Sarah Parish so that'll keep me tuning in! :D
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with this....it has basically eaten itself and no longer worth watching. Three quarters of the script is taken up with Tourette like interruptions. The scriptwriters have got lazy. Shame - loved 2012, and the first series of W1A was enjoyable - this just smacks of self-indulgence by the BBC. It is like their own in joke broadcast to the nation.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    He fancies her;this is a way for her to owe him a big favour; she doesn't like the way he treats Will.

Thanks; I had misinterpreted her reaction to his digs at Will as her being annoyed at Will's uselessness, rather than at his slagging him off.

Although he's hopeless and annoying, he dies have a rather 'lost puppy' quality that makes anyone attacking him seem a bit mean.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    A bit better this week, still too much yes/no/ah/er/quite also I'm getting the hots for Sarah Parish so that'll keep me tuning in! :D

It was good to see some character development with regards to Anna. I loved her blank look of disgust when David sat down next to her at the meeting with his quinoa salad :D
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The close up shot of "Langham Street" sign reminded me of the excellent "People Like Us" which this series is very heavily based on - some of David Tennant's narration is pure Roy Mallard