Options

A reply from channel television re judges vote

bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was just on the Facebook X Factor group and a guy who had emailed channel television ( the producers of x factor), has posted the reply he got

'My e-mail asked for clarity on the judge situation, I did ask for the judge's rules (if they exist), this was the copy of what was sent back:
Thank you for your e-mail about The X Factor, which has been passed to us for a response as we at Channel look after this series for ITV. It is made by an independent production company, Talkback Thames Television.

I am sorry that you were disappointed by the Judges’ Choice section of the Results show. As you know, Cheryl abstained from voting.

The judges are required to vote when asked to do so, or to forfeit their right to a vote on the outcome of the Judges’ Choice. Dermot did make it clear that the decision would therefore be based on the majority vote of the other three judges. As Cheryl had refused to vote, there was no possibility of going to ‘Deadlock’ which is the mechanic used to decide who stays in the competition when the Judges’ votes are tied.

Deadlock requires an active vote, and Cheryl had deemed her vote invalid by refusing to make a choice when asked to do so. Unfortunately the show is fully live and the pressures of time meant that there was not enough time remaining to explain this fully to our viewers.

Judges have refused to choose between their acts in the past, most noticeably Sharon Osbourne did so on several occasions, hence the introduction of the rule regarding their vote being forfeit. It is not possible for a judge to ask for their vote to be deferred until after the other judges have made their choice.

At this stage of the competition it is acknowledged that the Judges make the decision as to who goes and who stays. Later in the series, viewers’ votes alone will decide who leaves the competition each week. TreyC and Katie received the lowest number of votes from our viewers and thus were in the bottom two and subject to the Judges’ Choice vote.

I hope this addresses your concerns but if you would like to take the matter further you may wish to contact our regulators, Ofcom, either via their website www.ofcom.org.uk or by telephone to 020 7981 3000.

With best wishes,

Channel Television
12 hours ago · Report'

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad this was cleared up. Now I just hope the trolls who start thread after thread after thread about how Treyc was hard done by and Katie should have gone will stop making such threads. Treyc is out, Katie is in. That is the final result.
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,219
    Forum Member
    The thing is that we now have evidnce of something very dubious going on behind the scenes- that we could go to OFCOM and ask them to investigate.

About time Cowell answered some difficult questions
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That response is so predictable.

This happened.
    We did this.
    Then we did that.
    It's always been in the rules - honest guv!
  • Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can work within the rules, but go against the spirit of them.

That's what they did on Saturday, for very obvious reasons.
  • Options
    caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Cheryl is an idiot? Yes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somebody should sue them :)
  • Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caz789 wrote: »
    So, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Cheryl is an idiot? Yes?

I believe that is written in ITV's T&C's.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the rules were, that Cheryl's comment of waiting to vote to send it to deadlock would mean her vote was vote, she along with the public should have been told on the spot by Dermot that this was the case.

That way she could have asked Dannii and Louis to let it go to deadlock, and give her vote to send home Katie.

Instead Cheryl didn't abstain entirely from voting, she said she'd vote to send it to deadlock and was told after making what she thought was her final decision, that that wasn't allowed.

They can claim it's always been a rule all they want, but as they say it was Sharon who did it, someone Cheryl has never judged alongside, and the rule clearly hasn't been used for almost 3 years now.

Why not just admit, they wanted to save the controversial one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bananafish wrote: »
    I believe that is written in ITV's T&C's.

lol..:D
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would make more sense to just send the result to deadlock if one the the judges abstaines from voting. Either that or change the rule so that when one judge has both the bottom two acts, he/she doesn't vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookclub10 wrote: »
    The judges are required to vote when asked to do so, or to forfeit their right to a vote on the outcome of the Judges’ Choice.

In which case, both Cheryl and Dermot would have been aware of this and Dermot still tried to talk her into making a decision before moving quickly on as soon as she mentioned deadlock.
    Dermot did make it clear that the decision would therefore be based on the majority vote of the other three judges.

It wasn't made clear. He told Cheryl it was her "role", she responded that she wanted the others to vote first and that she'd then take it to deadlock. (This alone suggests Cheryl wasn't aware it's in the rules that she can forfeit her vote)

When Cheryl said deadlock, Dermot interrupted and told her that her vote wasn't going to be valid and the outcome would depend on a majority decision.
    As Cheryl had refused to vote, there was no possibility of going to ‘Deadlock’ which is the mechanic used to decide who stays in the competition when the Judges’ votes are tied.

Cheryl did not refuse to vote. She said she couldn't, she used the words "point blank" and Dermot continued to try and talk her into making a vote. She listened to him, paused and made her intention clear about how she wanted to cast her vote.

A vote is a vote, it can be used anyway you like, for or against any outcome the voter requires. She wanted Dermot to come back to her last (which everyone would have expected anyway). This was refused and Cheryl was told that she had no vote.
    Deadlock requires an active vote, and Cheryl had deemed her vote invalid by refusing to make a choice when asked to do so.

On listening to Dermot, she simply asked to have her vote deferred until the end. Her request was ignored, she was told it was going to a majorty decision.
    Unfortunately the show is fully live and the pressures of time meant that there was not enough time remaining to explain this fully to our viewers.

It often runs over. How long does it take to say, "If Cheryl, you are refusing to vote, the rule is that the vote will go to a majority decision between the remaining three judges" ?

ETA: There is also the question of how Cheryl KNEW that she would be able to take it to deadlock. How did she know how the others would vote?
  • Options
    kazzykazzy Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Either that or change the rule so that when one judge has both the bottom two acts, he/she doesn't vote.

That's a great idea.:)
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voting is a joke anyway because the mentor almost aways saves their own act- Simon broke that unwritten rule once, so should the judge/mentor whose act is in the bottom 2, abstain from voting completely that week??
    Of course then you would have 2 judges voting some weeks and 3 on the other occasions. Not that much different to the audition stages when some contestants got through on 2 yes votes and others needed 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl has set a precident and now any judge with two acts in the bottom two can happily refuse to vote. Job done. Nice one Cheryl.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Ah just canna decide. Both me lasses are talented an amazing. I'd leik te tyek them both oot fre a drink but Ah canna cos Ahm far tee important.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl has set a precident and now any judge with two acts in the bottom two can happily refuse to vote. Job done. Nice one Cheryl.

Sharon has refused twice in the past.

Louis also said he was unable to choose between 2 of his acts in series 5 but because he was last, he was able to put it to deadlock.
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens Channel Television if all of the judges refuse to vote if say Matt and Rebecca were in the bottom two what then? Back to the public vote, the studio audience? What happens?

My guess - Simon Cowell announces that there were irregularities in the phone voting that allowed the two best contestants to end up in the bottom two and announces all acts go through to next week.

Channel TV your show is a fix and as a result of the farce last sunday I shan't be voting for anyone for the remainder of this series. I encourage others to do the same so that when a popular act leaves in the next few weeks because of this maybe the TV bosses will wake up and smell the coffee.
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,219
    Forum Member
    Well then it is surely reason to report the producers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought it was Sharon who set that p-r-e-c-e-d-e-n-t
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Sharon has refused twice in the past.

Louis also said he was unable to choose between 2 of his acts in series 5 but because he was last, he was able to put it to deadlock.

That's not the same.

About Sharon yeah, but there is a difference here which is that it was implied that Cheryl thought she would be able to send it to deadlock but then "shock" wasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ajar wrote: »
    I thought it was Sharon who set that p-r-e-c-e-d-e-n-t

Yes you are correct.
    Thankyou for your comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens Channel Television if all of the judges refuse to vote if say Matt and Rebecca were in the bottom two what then? Back to the public vote, the studio audience? What happens?

Then it would go to the public vote. Seems pretty obvious. If no judge votes that means the judges are unable to reach a decision and so we have deadlock.

A better question might be what would happen if 3 judges refused and only one judge was willing to vote. (The answer is "whatever the producers decide" - it is not the role of OFCOM to determine the design of reality TV series).
    My guess - Simon Cowell announces that there were irregularities in the phone voting that allowed the two best contestants to end up in the bottom two and announces all acts go through to next week.

That would not happen as that would, as far as I'm aware, breach the broadcasting code.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i think, as the email points out, Sharon set that precedent years ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About Sharon yeah, but there is a difference here which is that it was implied that Cheryl thought she would be able to send it to deadlock but then "shock" wasn't.

Because that was the precedent for the show. The mentor with 2 acts in the sing-off votes last. It's not written down anywhere but it's certainly what I was expecting her to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Then it would go to the public vote. Seems pretty obvious. If no judge votes that means the judges are unable to reach a decision and so we have deadlock.

A better question might be what would happen if 3 judges refused and only one judge was willing to vote. (The answer is "whatever the producers decide" - it is not the role of OFCOM to determine the design of reality TV series).

That would not happen as that would, as far as I'm aware, breach the broadcasting code.

And who is the exec producer?

People keep talking about what the producers are doing and what the judges are doing, forgetting that the exec producer sits as head judge.