Options

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    Has anyone else struggled to get into another tv series ( not including animation shows or sitcoms ) as much as Buffy and Angel ?

I don't know what it is but whenever i try something new it doesn't keep me watching like those 2 shows do. Unique comes to mind here i think.

Yes, I also struggle to get into newer series. The only other series that I would put on a par with Buffy and Angel is the West Wing, which was also sublime, and worthy of rewatch after rewatch.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do get into newer shows. I love 'Once Upon A Time', for example. But I don't get into them as much as I did Buffy. Nothing has the same re-watch value, nor am I as passionate about them as I still am about Buffy.
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see Celebrity Pointless yesterday? One of the rounds was about film and TV vampires and gave a list of actors who had played vampires - the contestants had to pick one and name the film or show the character had first appeared in. David Boreanaz was one of the named actors and none of the contestants picked him. I would have, and it was a low score, about seven I think. (If you don't watch Pointless, that means that out of 100 members of the public asked, only 7 knew the answer - which really surprised me).

Josh - I posted on your summer re-watch thread a while ago (under another name - shhhh, don't tell the mods ;)) - I'd been given all of Buffy and Angel on video and had started watching Buffy for the first time. I'd only watched a couple of seasons then life interrupted for a few months, so I ended up starting again from episode one on Christmas Day and got ever so slightly obsessed - I watched all seven seasons and all five of Angel non-stop for the next week and a half! I'm not sure getting that immersed in the Buffyverse was healthy, but it was fun!

I absolutely loved both shows, and I can see why fans are so passionate about them. Everything about Buffy was brilliant - the writing, the cast, the music, just everything. I was sort of in mourning when I'd finished watching and half wished I'd rationed my watching over several months. But I hadn't realised that Angel had been cancelled after season 5, rather than having a proper planned ending, and I was anticipating that at the end of S5 the Prophecy would be fulfilled and Angel would become human and be reunited with Buffy (ok, so I'm a hopeless romantic!). Such a shame that Angel was cancelled. I'll have to start hunting out the comics!

I have a couple of questions (one sensible, one silly) - did Joss Whedon choose the name Xander because Alexander means defender/protector? I'm assuming it wasn't just a random name choice?

And what the heck happened to Willow and Tara's kitten?
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Did anyone see Celebrity Pointless yesterday? One of the rounds was about film and TV vampires and gave a list of actors who had played vampires - the contestants had to pick one and name the film or show the character had first appeared in. David Boreanaz was one of the named actors and none of the contestants picked him. I would have, and it was a low score, about seven I think. (If you don't watch Pointless, that means that out of 100 members of the public asked, only 7 knew the answer - which really surprised me).
    The answer to that question is Married With Children (I think). Not many people know this. The answer isn't Buffy anyway...
    Miss Kitty-Fantastico got hit by a passing van when it ran out into the road outside of the UC Sunnydale campus.:p
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone here like Season 8 comics?
    I didn't like them personally. Mainly because i don't see why it had to continue. In my mind, Buffy ended at Season 7 and had long enough to tell stories. If it had only lasted a few seasons, then yeah it would make sense. I didn't like the fact that Buffy is still out there dealing with supernatural monsters. You can tell by the final scene with the smile on Buffy's face that she had accomplished so much and deserved a long awaited holiday. I like to think Buffy travelled the world with Dawn and kept out the way, living the life she had taken away from her for seven years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Josh - I posted on your summer re-watch thread a while ago (under another name - shhhh, don't tell the mods ;)) - I'd been given all of Buffy and Angel on video and had started watching Buffy for the first time. I'd only watched a couple of seasons then life interrupted for a few months, so I ended up starting again from episode one on Christmas Day and got ever so slightly obsessed - I watched all seven seasons and all five of Angel non-stop for the next week and a half! I'm not sure getting that immersed in the Buffyverse was healthy, but it was fun!

I absolutely loved both shows, and I can see why fans are so passionate about them. Everything about Buffy was brilliant - the writing, the cast, the music, just everything. I was sort of in mourning when I'd finished watching and half wished I'd rationed my watching over several months. But I hadn't realised that Angel had been cancelled after season 5, rather than having a proper planned ending, and I was anticipating that at the end of S5 the Prophecy would be fulfilled and Angel would become human and be reunited with Buffy (ok, so I'm a hopeless romantic!). Such a shame that Angel was cancelled. I'll have to start hunting out the comics!

I have a couple of questions (one sensible, one silly) - did Joss Whedon choose the name Xander because Alexander means defender/protector? I'm assuming it wasn't just a random name choice?

Ah man Boreanaz and no one got Angel :O.....he was in my grandparents Crossword the other day YAY! whenever they have something Buffy related they ring ours ha!

And wow a week and a half of nonstop Buffyverse action! That is immense!

Yeah what i would have loved ideally was a Buffy Season 8 and Angel season 6 to air at the same time, allowing a year break for Buffy and then return for a big worldwide filmic season8 and season 6 of Angel to finalise his own prophecy definitely...but alas....

Buffy is a religion as has been proven! :D

And as for the questions Xander was for that reason i believe and why he remained at the heart of the gang...and as for Miss Kitty? Who knows? It is a show mystery....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nikki E. wrote: »
    The answer to that question is Married With Children (I think). Not many people know this. The answer isn't Buffy anyway...

Miss Kitty-Fantastico got hit by a passing van when it ran out into the road outside of the UC Sunnydale campus.:p

I thought that was the truth then :eek:
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like them personally. Mainly because i don't see why it had to continue. In my mind, Buffy ended at Season 7 and had long enough to tell stories. If it had only lasted a few seasons, then yeah it would make sense. I didn't like the fact that Buffy is still out there dealing with supernatural monsters. You can tell by the final scene with the smile on Buffy's face that she had accomplished so much and deserved a long awaited holiday. I like to think Buffy travelled the world with Dawn and kept out the way, living the life she had taken away from her for seven years.

I don't mind Buffy season 8. It's not great; it's a bit too 'out there' for my liking, particularly in comparison to everything else in the Buffyverse (not just the television show, but also Angel S6 and Fray, and the rest).

However, unlike yourself, I didn't feel that it was over for Buffy at the end of S7. I felt that her life in Sunnydale was over; but she is still the 'original' slayer, there are still evil demons she needs to prevent from bringing about the apocalypse, and now all over the world there are potentials waking up to a new slayer power. There is still a lot of work for her to do.

Buffy's life as the slayer is never over. Not until she is dead and buried... and even then it still might not be over for her yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think thats the beauty about it...the idea that life still went on beyond Sunnydale...and yeah it is that self-accomplishment of YEAH i have done that, saved and ultimately destroyed the Hellmouth forever....but that also life goes on...and the comics to a degree were here to showcase what may happen next....and it allowed them to not keep to a budget which i why i presume the stories are THAt crazy and inane....i do enjoy them....i mean its Buffy, but at the same time id lvoe to know what really happened beyond Sunnydale too....would have loved a global Buffy on television....some ideas and concepts ae rediculous though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Buffy season 8. It's not great; it's a bit too 'out there' for my liking, particularly in comparison to everything else in the Buffyverse (not just the television show, but also Angel S6 and Fray, and the rest).

However, unlike yourself, I didn't feel that it was over for Buffy at the end of S7. I felt that her life in Sunnydale was over, but she is still the 'original' slayer, there are still evil demons she needs to prevent from bringing about the apocalypse, and now all over the world there are potentials waking up to a new slayer power. There is still a lot of work for her to do.

Buffy's life as the slayer is never over. Not until she is dead and buried... and even then it still might not be over for her yet.

ha! totally...Buffy is forever....I mean the show ended with Buffy in her mid 20s.....so there is still a lot to do for her before she ever "retires"...if you can "retire" but i think it woud be fascinating to see Buffy in her 40s with the Scoobies showing how everything has changed them forevermore...that would make an interesting concept i truly feel and would allow the cast so much depth to rake into again! Just imagine....
  • Options
    amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else struggled to get into another tv series ( not including animation shows or sitcoms ) as much as Buffy and Angel ?

I don't know what it is but whenever i try something new it doesn't keep me watching like those 2 shows do. Unique comes to mind here i think.

There are a number of series I like but not on a level that compares to my one time Buffy obsession.

Dexter,Criminal Minds, Once upon a Time. Warehouse 13 and Haven are my favourites now but I just watch them. Loved Fringe too but not obsessively. At one point I was on about 10 Buffy (and subsequently Angel) forums - some of them frequented by the literarti and academics. Very interesting discussions although with hindsight it does now seem a little pretentious.

I really can't define what Buffy had that was so special but it's the only series that I have the complete box sets for and can still re watch and enjoy. I guess the quality of the writers and the actors who breathed life into the characters played a part.
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member

I'd recommend watching Grimm, which was created by Buffy Verse writer David Greenwalt (sp?) Has even had some Ex-Buffy stars in it, and rumours that they want Joss Whedon to write an episode.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched grimm too looking forward to seeing series 2 in march. Episode by Whendon would be great. Finale would be best .
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It got "accidentally" killed by Dawn.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »

The crossbow accident.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see Celebrity Pointless yesterday? One of the rounds was about film and TV vampires and gave a list of actors who had played vampires - the contestants had to pick one and name the film or show the character had first appeared in.
    I got all of them, although the Munsters almost got me but I just remembered it in time. :D
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the other day (careful:D) about how things could have been different fo example:-

If spike got killed early on like he was written to.
    If seth green stayed
    Willow didn't turn out to be a lesbian

i'm sure there are more but the series could have been so different
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    I was thinking the other day (careful:D) about how things could have been different fo example:-

If spike got killed early on like he was written to.
    If seth green stayed
    Willow didn't turn out to be a lesbian

i'm sure there are more but the series could have been so different

Xander was apparently going to be written as coming out as gay and have a very different stroryline altogether...the character of Anya could indeed have been a fella!

WOuld have been intriguing to say the least! And yes what ifs....again like life itself...what if we turned left instead of right etc....very interesting....

And thank god SPike wasnt killed off in Season 2!
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    And thank god SPike wasnt killed off in Season 2!

Trying to imagine how the show would have progressed without him is difficult.

I'm not sure how Oz would have worked out as a character; to be honest, out of all the regular characters in the show, I never found him to be particularly interesting and I don't think the show suffered from his absence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting discussion on gay Xander and/or gay Willow

http://www.buffy-boards.com/archive/index.php/t-55689.html

some things i agree/disagree on and two posts i find slightly offensive...although unintentionally so but worth a looky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to imagine how the show would have progressed without him is difficult.

I'm not sure how Oz would have worked out as a character; to be honest, out of all the regular characters in the show, I never found him to be particularly interesting and I don't think the show suffered from his absence.

i would have loved Oz to be regular personally...i have a feeling that the "tragic wedding" storyline may have been them instead of Xander/Anya if things had changed around a lot more maybe.

And Spike is cemented...any other idea is unplausable....<3
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throughout all of Buffy I think tere was only one character ever truly hated, RILEY.
    I was glad that he left, it was interesting reading those posts on that forum about Xander being gay, honestly, I think it would have done wonders for his character but Willow was great gay so no complaints from me I guess I did feel like they'd ran out of ideas for Xander though around season six time.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem with Willow being a lesbian is that realistically, it would of made sense if she had questioned her sexuality in previous seasons. It just felt like in Season 4 "bam, Willow likes girls now". Like she woke up one day and realised she fancied Tara. It made her character's journey so much better and I adored her and Tara but felt it unrealistically the way she just suddenly became a lesbian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willow on Evil Willow: *Whispering* "Plus I think I'm kinda gay..."

The foreshadowing was there. :p
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Angel was first in MWC? I'm confused :confused:
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    The crossbow accident.

Awwww poor kitty :eek:. My guess is that she got squished when Glory trashed Willow and Tara's room when she tried to grab Dawn (that DID happen on campus didn't it? I may have watched that episode at some ridiculous hour of the night when I was having my marathon watching session, so may have been half asleep!)

Oh I adore Oz and was disappointed when he left. I thought he and Willow were so sweet together, and I loved it when he turned up in Angel - that little exchange between him and Angel, with hardly any words spoken, was really cute. But I guess we all like and dislike different characters.