House Plant Recommendation

WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone please recommend a house plant that needs little sunlight? I have a north-facing room that needs some greenery but it gets little sunlight, especially in the summer time. Thank you! :)

Comments

• Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Spathiphyllum or 'Peace Lily' is the plant for you. (Google it for pictures.) We have a dark hall and ours seems to love it, started as a tiny supermarket plant in 2007 and six years later is 3ft high and same diameter. A lot of supermarkets sell them beside the flowers, but you will certainly get it in any garden centre. Re-pot it every year in the spring and keep it just damp. Don't overwater as plants in shady cooler rooms don't need as much water. It has big glossy waxy leaves that benifit from a shower every now and again to stop them looking dusty. Either hose it down in the shower or put outside in the rain for an hour:).

Most ferns would also do well, they like those conditions too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Most Garden Centers have houseplants sections inside so you should be able to pick something suitable. I don`t actually think there are many houseplants that like to be in full sunlight anyway, a lot will wilt and the leaves get paler. As long as they get plenty of daylight most plants will thrive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2nd the peace lily.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterfly palm. Very hard to kill by overwatering and doesn't like direct sunlight.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your suggestions! :)
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone please recommend a house plant that needs little sunlight? I have a north-facing room that needs some greenery but it gets little sunlight, especially in the summer time. Thank you! :)

Do what the victorians did, you need an aspidistra.

These are the perfect plant for a dark room, but they dont come cheap.

As a general rule, the darker green the plant leaf, the less sunlight they need.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are having a lot of success with orchids, they don't like full sun just enough day light to bloom. Some of ours bloom for months at a time, and look spectacular.

Just need cooled boiled water to water them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    We are having a lot of success with orchids, they don't like full sun just enough day light to bloom. Some of ours bloom for months at a time, and look spectacular.

Just need cooled boiled water to water them.

No, you need rainwater.

Very different to boiled tapwater
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Do what the victorians did, you need an aspidistra.

These are the perfect plant for a dark room, but they dont come cheap.

As a general rule, the darker green the plant leaf, the less sunlight they need.
    As you say, aspidistras aren't cheap. There are a few on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=aspidistra+plant&_dcat=1510&Item%2520Subtype=House%2520Plants&rt=nc

However, the cheaper ones are pretty spindly things and would probably take several years to grow into decent plants. According to one website: "The most discouraging aspect to aspidistras is their frustratingly slow rate of growth. They can take many years to achieve an appreciable size."

The one at £5 in Aylesbury (for collection only) looks like a pretty good plant, but I suspect it'll end up at a higher price.

I'm a bit tempted by aspidistras, but I can't decide whether they're attractive or deadly dull, because I don't think I've ever seen an actual plant but only pictures.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    No, you need rainwater.

Very different to boiled tapwater

LOL I will tell our orchids to stop blooming then, we have some nearly 10 years old bloom for months every year. So can't be doing anything too bad with our boiled tap water.
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second the peace lily suggestion. I'm not good with plants but mine is still alive a few years after getting it.:D
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a mother-in-laws tongue for about 20 years now. I have managed to kill off every other plant I have ever had but this one just keeps growing and surviving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I'm a bit tempted by aspidistras, but I can't decide whether they're attractive or deadly dull, because I don't think I've ever seen an actual plant but only pictures.

They are very much worth the time and effort - they are the classic "dark room" houseplant and have always been a talking point.

I think everyone has heard of "aspidistra" but never seen one.

Peace Lillies are ok, but they are not as substantial or architecturally interesting as an aspi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=aspidistra+plant&_dcat=1510&Item%2520Subtype=House%2520Plants&rt=nc

...The one at £5 in Aylesbury (for collection only) looks like a pretty good plant, but I suspect it'll end up at a higher price.
    The £5 aspidistra went for £47.66 in the end! :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aspidistra-plant-/161050257104?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item257f57e6d0&nma=true&si=tNyibdedUP1PfEznBVdN1pfRsXg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, the cheaper ones are pretty spindly things and would probably take several years to grow into decent plants. According to one website: "The most discouraging aspect to aspidistras is their frustratingly slow rate of growth. They can take many years to achieve an appreciable size."

The one at £5 in Aylesbury (for collection only) looks like a pretty good plant, but I suspect it'll end up at a higher price.

I agree that aspidistras are awesome :D mine was pretty large when I brought it anyway, (around £25) and it only puts up 3 or 4 new leaves each spring so it is slow growing.

You can even get aspidistra flowers, which - "poke out of the ground and stay at soil level, this is because they are pollinated by slugs and snails out in their natural habitat!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knuxs7 wrote: »
    I agree that aspidistras are awesome :D mine was pretty large when I brought it anyway, (around £25) and it only puts up 3 or 4 new leaves each spring so it is slow growing.

You can even get aspidistra flowers, which - "poke out of the ground and stay at soil level, this is because they are pollinated by slugs and snails out in their natural habitat!"
    I actually did order one from this company at the weekend:

http://the-plant-directory.co.uk/house-plants/house-plants/aspidistra-elatior-cast-iron-plant-in-13cm-pot

It arrived on Tuesday and is fine — pretty much like what's shown in the picture but with a few more leaves. It's just a bit on the sparse side at the moment, though, and should look better in a year or two.

If it ever does produce flowers, I hope they don't get pollinated, because I don't much want slugs and snails in the house! :D
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually did order one from this company at the weekend:

http://the-plant-directory.co.uk/house-plants/house-plants/aspidistra-elatior-cast-iron-plant-in-13cm-pot

It arrived on Tuesday and is fine — pretty much like what's shown in the picture but with a few more leaves. It's just a bit on the sparse side at the moment, though, and should look better in a year or two.

If it ever does produce flowers, I hope they don't get pollinated, because I don't much want slugs and snails in the house! :D

It's certainly a hard plant to get hold of! Mine came from a family run place local to my area, and I haven't seen it in any shops since. I have a book with a photo actually and it only has 4 leaves, but it looks really elegant because of the way the leaves fold. It looks symmetrical if that makes sense.

Hi Wolfsheadish, I just re-read your help request! I'm thinking now an Aspidistra might not be so good for a window setting after all as they can get quite big!

I once grew a Kris Plant in a north-facing window, you can get those for a fiver from Homebase and they grow quite fast.

You could also look at Moth Orchids if you want some colour. They dislike direct sun light too so a north-facing aspect should be ideal as long as the room is warmish. These are usually about £10 and you can get them anywhere these days.

Good luck :)