dark circles under eyes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
hi, over the past year or so i've started to get quite noticeable dark circles under my eyes which i'm very conscious about. i'm only 23 so was hoping this kind of thing would happen a bit later in life

anyway tried roll ons and a couple of cheap eye creams, even makeup [thought i'd rather not use that because i'm a guy and feel even more conscious in the make up]

tried cold tea bags on my eyes, rose water etc but nothing really makes much difference.

just wondering if anyone has any experience of stuff that's worked for them or is it just something i'm going to have to accept?

:)

Comments

• JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I swear by Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Eclat. It's not cheap, but it works wonders and nobody will be able to tell you're wearing make-up. It's much lighter than normal concealer. If you really can't stand the thought of concealer, there's Clarins Eye Revive Flash. Again, though, it's pricey!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What JulesF said.

But if your on a budget a caffeine based concealer will work well too.

Do you smoke OP?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pile cream was always the classic remedy but I think it had to be Preparation H and not Anusol. I think it was something to do with the shark oil that used to be one of the ingredients, but I doubt if they use that now.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Pile cream was always the classic remedy but I think it had to be Preparation H and not Anusol. I think it was something to do with the shark oil that used to be one of the ingredients, but I doubt if they use that now.

That can be used for bags under the eyes, as it tightens the skin. Won't do anything for dark circles.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I swear by Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Eclat. It's not cheap, but it works wonders and nobody will be able to tell you're wearing make-up. It's much lighter than normal concealer. If you really can't stand the thought of concealer, there's Clarins Eye Revive Flash. Again, though, it's pricey!

I used to love Touche Eclat - best concealer ever. I lent it to my boyfriend at the time, when he had a mark under his eye. He thought it was great, and kept pinching it after that.

It doesn't look like you are wearing make-up.

Unfortunately, now I've got a few lines under my eyes, I can't wear it anymore. It makes my lines look worse.

At 23 you'll be fine though :-)

I have dark circles, and can't find anything to help me now :cry:
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a man I've worn concealer for the same issue since I was 18, I blame too much booze. I think that a more healthy lifestyle is the only real solution for it.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use L'Oreal Men expert eye roll on and Boots N07 for men eye roll on either or every day and both work very well in my experience. I get really bad dark circles but the above help.

I discovered from various sources online that it is a very bad idea to put preparation H anywhere near your eyes as it can damage them.
  • mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, i have always had bags under my eyes since i was a child, i am now over 40, and have found that doing 'yoga' for the face helps a lot..if you go on you tube and type in yoga for eyes, it will come up with 2 simple things that you do twice a day for 2 mins, basically a drainage massage and my circles and bags are so so much better now.....hope this helps ;-)
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a lifelong sufferer of dark circles and with much trials of expensive products it is my experience that nothing works. I do not have bags or puffiness, just the dark circles. I always have them, even when I drink loads of water, get good quality sleep etc. They get worse if I am sleep depleted but they are always there in varying degrees of darkness. I have tried various serums, roll on and creams over the years ranging from the cheap to expensive, nothing works. They will moisturise the area below but do nothing for the darkness. So if you buy a cream, my advice is do not buy anything expensive.

Concealers work to some extent. I use YSL TE but it is not a holy grail answer. Dark circles are to do with the thinness of your skin in this delicate area, and the fact that your blood vessels are nearer the surface. Also relevant are any sinus problems.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Touche Eclat is a highlighter, not a concealer. It doesn't really work on dark circles and over-enthusiastic application can lead to 'reverse panda eyes' - never a good look, especially nightclub lighting. :D

I use MAC's Pro Longlife Concealer or the Bobbi Brown one is good, too. However, have a care with anything that has a sunscreen in it as that can keep the undereye skin pale while the rest of the face tans - reverse panda eyes again. Use a moisturiser with the same level of SPF on the rest of your face, rubbing in in beneath the jawline all round too.

Otherwise, exercise helps with dark circles because a sweaty face does drive the blood supply to the under eye area which then (as you cool down) helps reduce the appearance of the circles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers for all the replies!

the yves saint lauren seems good if this is the one?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yves-Saint-Laurent-Luminous-Concealer/dp/B000SGQWY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411643157&sr=8-1&keywords=Touche+Eclat

how long would you say it would last if just used just for under the eyes on a fairly regular basis? i don't mind wearing makeup as long as it's fairly discreet :p

i don't smoke and don't drink regularly. i binge drink though if that's the right term could that be a cause? even so that's only one night every couple of weeks or so depending.

the facial excersises sound good too thanks! i looked at them a while ago downloaded a video but haven't got around to starting them will start that today.

think i'll give the piles cream a miss for now though haha maybe if i get desperate :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh apparently the amazon concealer is fake!
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look on you tube for tips. There is a great one, cant remember the name of the girl though. Anyway, I did as she said and what a difference!!
    Forum Member
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    cheers for all the replies!

the yves saint lauren seems good if this is the one?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yves-Saint-Laurent-Luminous-Concealer/dp/B000SGQWY4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411643157&sr=8-1&keywords=Touche+Eclat

how long would you say it would last if just used just for under the eyes on a fairly regular basis? i don't mind wearing makeup as long as it's fairly discreet :p

i don't smoke and don't drink regularly. i binge drink though if that's the right term could that be a cause? even so that's only one night every couple of weeks or so depending.

the facial excersises sound good too thanks! i looked at them a while ago downloaded a video but haven't got around to starting them will start that today.

think i'll give the piles cream a miss for now though haha maybe if i get desperate :D

Yes, that's it - but don't buy it from Amazon if people are saying it's fake, obviously! Boots online stock it, I think. You only need to use a very small amount, so the tube should last for a quite a while.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    oh apparently the amazon concealer is fake!
    In some views not in others.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yes, that's it - but don't buy it from Amazon if people are saying it's fake, obviously! Boots online stock it, I think. You only need to use a very small amount, so the tube should last for a quite a while.

You can buy this much more cheaply online on sites other than Boots and Amazon. Not Ebay as you don't know where it has come from but bona fide websites. Search Via Google shopping, or red laser.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    My four year old son has dark under his eyes, I constantly worried about it but the doc said it was his colouring. Pale skin.