Weekend Tv worse than ever

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
ITV arent bothering apart from Ant and DEc and Family Fortunes. Used to have expensive entertainment shows like Dancing On Ice. Sunday is just a repeat of the Chase now yet again !

Now its just repeats and rubbish.

Your back in the room is Lame, BBC is dull on a sunday as usual and nothing on Saturday apart from The Voice which is bad too.

Catching up on Banished today and watching The Following and Walking Dead...!

Comments

• postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely put the TV on, nowadays
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheer up, could be worse, here's the BBC Television schedule for Saturday November 7, 1936:

1500 Programme summary
    1505 The Zoo Today
    1520 British Movietone News
    1535 Cabaret with Mabel Scott (singer), Molly Picon (impressionist)
    1600 Close
    2100 Programme summary
    2105 Autumn Galleries: New exhibitions with John Piper
    2120 British Movietone News
    2135 Cabaret (repeat of the 1535 programme)
    2200 Close

Thanks to BBC Genome
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not even got the ratings for last night out yet.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Cheer up, could be worse, here's the BBC Television schedule for Saturday November 7, 1936:

1500 Programme summary
    1505 The Zoo Today
    1600 Close
    2100 Programme summary
    2200 Close

Thanks to BBC Genome

I didn't think there was any tv in 1936 ftv!....... Or if there was hardly anyone had a tv!..... it is widely shown that when the Queens Coronation was broadcast they show film of people all congregating in the one persons house that had a tv in those days and that was in 1953 wasn't it?..... So I can't imagine what those stats are all about that you have there?.....
  • beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    You mean Casualty wasn't on in 1936??????
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1500 Programme summary
    1505 The Zoo Today
    1600 Close
    2100 Programme summary
    2200 Close

Thanks to BBC Genome

and at this rate before long the same numbers will be watching Saturday night telly as watched in 1936!
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing On Ice? I'll pass on that ta.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have watched the rugby yesterday. I'm not a huge fan but it was a great day's sport. I agree, not much in the evening though. That's when a subscription to Sky Movies makes it worth the money.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should have watched the rugby yesterday. I'm not a huge fan but it was a great day's sport. I agree, not much in the evening though. That's when a subscription to Sky Movies makes it worth the money.

Do they still show the same films about fifty times inside a few weeks?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Do they still show the same films about fifty times inside a few weeks?

Yes. But I found a film from their general listing that I'd missed. It was called Deception (from 2013, not the 2008 one) with Geoffrey Rush. A strange movie, but I quite enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    I didn't think there was any tv in 1936 ftv!....... Or if there was hardly anyone had a tv!..... it is widely shown that when the Queens Coronation was broadcast they show film of people all congregating in the one persons house that had a tv in those days and that was in 1953 wasn't it?..... So I can't imagine what those stats are all about that you have there?.....

I think you might be referring to the programme times as per the 24-hour clock. The BBC says the transmissions from Alexandra Palace reached 25% of the UK population although there is no reliable measure of how many people had sets.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    It's pretty dire, these days. I usually watch things I've recorded during the previous week, that I haven't had time to watch.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everyone likes sport, but there wasn't even decent alternatives for non rugby fans. ITV predictably had another ancient set of You've Been Framed clips and yet another episode of The Chase. BBC One later had its X Factor rip off and Casualty rip off and ITV its chavfest entertainment.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness there's things like Netflix, ok there's plenty I wouldn't watch on there but it's got to be better than relying on the main channels
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might be referring to the programme times as per the 24-hour clock. The BBC says the transmissions from Alexandra Palace reached 25% of the UK population although there is no reliable measure of how many people had sets.
    No, I was referring to the fact that no one had a tv in 1936....
    It's pretty dire, these days. I usually watch things I've recorded during the previous week, that I haven't had time to watch.

Yes, me too........... I actively look to see what's on during the daytime when I am at work so that I can record things because I know there is just hardly anything on during the evening that I am going to want to watch!......
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Not everyone likes sport, but there wasn't even decent alternatives for non rugby fans. ITV predictably had another ancient set of You've Been Framed clips and yet another episode of The Chase. BBC One later had its X Factor rip off and Casualty rip off and ITV its chavfest entertainment.

Have I lost the plot here?....... Casualty wasn't on last night! was it?..., It looked like the whole evening was taken up with The Voice?...... I spent the evening watching ITV4 with Doc Martin and Foyles war!.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1939, when the television service was suspended for the war, about 20,000 households in London had a television. This would equate to about one in a hundred homes in the capital, although I'd imagine television ownership would have been concentrated amongst the very wealthy as the sets were so expensive. Also beyond London, television simply didn't exist due to a lack of reception and few people outside the capital knew of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1939, when the television service was suspended for the war, about 20,000 households in London had a television. This would equate to about one in a hundred homes in the capital, although I'd imagine television ownership would have been concentrated amongst the very wealthy as the sets were so expensive. Also beyond London, television simply didn't exist due to a lack of reception and few people outside the capital knew of it.

I agree there are no accurate figures until we get to 1947 when there were 14,560 TV licences in force. By 1952 the figure had grown to 1,449,000 when television had spread to the Midlands, North, central Scotland and south Wales and by 1960 to 10,469,000.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have all but given up too, with the Sat and Sun early afternoon schedules the same as weekday mornings , I like BH and HUTH but FFS not on the bloody weekend too .
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Sky+ was starting off their advert was "Create your own TV Channel". Which I did, and thank goodness for Foyle's War repeats, Dalziell and Pascoe repeats, and the Discovery Channel, or I'd have nothing to watch at weekends!
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    ITV arent bothering apart from Ant and DEc and Family Fortunes. Used to have expensive entertainment shows like Dancing On Ice. Sunday is just a repeat of the Chase now yet again !

Now its just repeats and rubbish.

Your back in the room is Lame, BBC is dull on a sunday as usual and nothing on Saturday apart from The Voice which is bad too.

Catching up on Banished today and watching The Following and Walking Dead...!

Thank you for telling us what you want and what you like.

Ratings show BBC1 is very popular and its showing Entertainment Drama quizzes and Sport, Sunday nights Countryfile Antiques roadshow and Poldark are very popular.

The Voice got over 7 million last night so the majority like it, rather than the house party rip off on ITV.

Its BROADcasting, ie for the many not the few or the one, Iplayer can tailor a service to you what you personally like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree there are no accurate figures until we get to 1947 when there were 14,560 TV licences in force. By 1952 the figure had grown to 1,449,000 when television had spread to the Midlands, North, central Scotland and south Wales and by 1960 to 10,469,000.

The Coronation was the catalyst for the growth in television ownership. Before the Coronation, only one in ten households had a television, two years later this had trebled and the creation of ITV also helped television's popularity grow as they connected more with a mass audience than the BBC. By the end of the decade over 70 per cent of homes had a television. Also renting made television more affordable.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I rarely put the TV on, nowadays

I agree. In fact it's not just weekends now, there's little on in the week.

I'm beginning to wonder how much longer I'll keep Virgin and the TiVo as it all seems such a waste of money. Even the satellite/cable channels seem to have given up just as much.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1535 Molly Picon (impressionist)

Actually interested in what the impressions were.
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,841
    Forum Member
    Corabal wrote: »
    Actually interested in what the impressions were.

Bizarely same here. :confused:
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Coronation was the catalyst for the growth in television ownership. Before the Coronation, only one in ten households had a television, two years later this had trebled and the creation of ITV also helped television's popularity grow as they connected more with a mass audience than the BBC. By the end of the decade over 70 per cent of homes had a television. Also renting made television more affordable.

Correlation doesn't prove causation.