STV doing well, revenue up 7% to £120.4 million (profit £17.3 m)

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The haters can suck on this good news. I still think they should merge with UTV and create a bigger company called IST...Irish Scottish Television.

I would post a link, but they don't work on my mobile, so google it.

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you can do more regional programming and make more profit.
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »

Perhaps, but most of their advertising profit comes from the popular ITV shows, not thier own.
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing what you can do with a boxroom size studio.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What regional programming do they do? I hardly ever watch STV but don't notice much regional programming in their schedules and sure there is less than BBC Scotland even though STV seem to have a bigger income.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    What regional programming do they do? I hardly ever watch STV but don't notice much regional programming in their schedules and sure there is less than BBC Scotland even though STV seem to have a bigger income.

I don't know because I don't live in the STV region, but was just going from previous threads on here that STV had more regional shows that the ITV regions, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know because I don't live in the STV region, but was just going from previous threads on here that STV had more regional shows that the ITV regions, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think that is more a comment on how little other ITV regions do than how much STV produce.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    The haters can suck on this good news. I still think they should merge with UTV and create a bigger company called IST...Irish Scottish Television.

All well and good then? I do wonder where these profits will go? I wouldn't mind this lot producing dramas for ITV as well as Worldwide but this lot are el cheapo. Its all well announcing profits when they hardly keep up to date with other missed ITV programmes. Lets also remember they just canned for now "the nightshift" and have just started a new programme in the very slot called "win cash live" ... so they obviously make profits from phone lines/texts and the obvious ad revenue (including their local STV channels) - this is not surprising and by the way I don't "hate" STV I just find the channel tripe these days (which could be said about ITV) but the channel does nothing to address issues even in the old Grampian TV area so why should I care on its profits? The channel cares more for its shareholders than its viewers

(may not be right link http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/26/stv-reports-14-increase-in-pre-tax-profit-for-2014 )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing what you can do with a boxroom size studio.

STV's version of The Cube - I know :D ... how does John McKay and Rona Dougall do all their tasks in such a small boxed studio :p
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member

BBC Scotland has a core income of around £90m. That JUST to make programming for Scottish viewers (and listeners), not to pay for everything else that's shown on BBC Scotland.

STV do a lot of current affairs - more than ITV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    STV's version of The Cube - I know :D ... how does John McKay and Rona Dougall do all their tasks in such a small boxed studio :p

Dont give them any ideas for a local version of The Cube haha....although like their own current entertaimment shows they'll be filmed in Dublin or London....very local.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont give them any ideas for a local version of The Cube haha....although like their own current entertaimment shows they'll be filmed in Dublin or London....very local.

Is that The Lie you are meaning that is filmed in Dublin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »

Yes, thats the one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »

You need to get up to date with the biz, all TV around the world are sharing resources as a way of keeping costs down, the BBC did it TOTAL WIPEOUT, with all the brits flown their on a plane!

They are also about to do it with the new remake of THE CRYSTAL MAZE, more than one broadcaster using the set!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to get up to date with the biz, all TV around the world are sharing resources as a way of keeping costs down, the BBC did it TOTAL WIPEOUT, with all the brits flown their on a plane!

They are also about to do it with the new remake of THE CRYSTAL MAZE, more than one broadcaster using the set!

STV have no choice given the limited studio resources it has. They went from Studio A and C in Cowcaddens to Studio Boxroom at Pacific Quay. Perhaps they should invest in a bigger studio and be in a position to hire that out as a shared resource. Just a thought!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    BBC Scotland has a core income of around £90m. That JUST to make programming for Scottish viewers (and listeners), not to pay for everything else that's shown on BBC Scotland.

How much of the £120 million do STV pay to ITV i.e. how much do they have for their own productions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Again another thing what is "local" to me from STV - the output is mostly from Glasgow HQ par ITV feed - just the STV News at 6 which at times is shambolic :o ... maybe STV should invest more in our STV area and get it fingers out its ass and sort these issues out

As for shows ie Catchphrase - London(?)
    The Lie - Dublin (irish show really)

Oh wait you forgot their recent "cookery" shows (cough cough)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mfr wrote: »

Like what? Scotland Tonight? Any other programming in relation outwith this show? I recognise they done a couple of documentaries but they looked cheap to make in comparison to what ITV seem to spend on documentaries. If STV actually spent more of this money on their programming than the cheap cameras/production I would be more than happy with them but this is a channel ran by amateurs, as I mentioned before where are the dramas from Scotland to the rest of the UK or programming that can be shown to ITV or other networks?

I noticed recently that Rebus/Taggart are on repeat on Alibi/True Entertainment and Animal 999 has been recently shown on Sky Living - I wonder how much they got from UKTV/Sky on the sale of these shows (I doubt it is expensive but they probably got them cheap)
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member

They're doing so well they cut off 'The Nightshift' a programme which had 30000 viewers.>:( Now we have 'Win Cash Live' and 'Nightscreen'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much of the £120 million do STV pay to ITV i.e. how much do they have for their own productions?

STV pay around £78 million as a flat fee to ITV plc for all their network shows.
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets also remember they just canned for now "the nightshift" and have just started a new programme in the very slot called "win cash live" ... so they obviously make profits from phone lines/texts and the obvious ad revenue (including their local STV channels) )

I don't think that STV are making any money out of the Win Cash Live show directly as STV are just selling the airtime - so all telephone money goes to whoever runs the Win Cash Live service, unlike ITV a few years back who did run their own late night phone quiz service, which ended up being a PR disaster for ITV.
    STV pay around £78 million as a flat fee to ITV plc for all their network shows.

However lets note that the approx £78-80 Million per annum is the fall out of STV's decision in the late 2000's to not show certain ITV Network Programmes and refused (according to ITV) or didn't have to (if you believe STV) to pay their fair share for the cost of the ITV Network programmes that STV didn't show (even though STV was at the time a member of the ITV Network).

Then there was the lawsuit and counter-lawsuit from ITV Networks and STV which were settled out of court. What we do know is that in the end STV paid ITV Network £18million and agreeing that STV would leave the ITV Network and would become an ITV Affiliate, thus a flat annual fee for access to all ITV Network programming regardless of how many of the network shows STV broadcasts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that STV are making any money out of the Win Cash Live show directly as STV are just selling the airtime - so all telephone money goes to whoever runs the Win Cash Live service, unlike ITV a few years back who did run their own late night phone quiz service, which ended up being a PR disaster for ITV.

However lets note that the approx £78-80 Million per annum is the fall out of STV's decision in the late 2000's to not show certain ITV Network Programmes and refused (according to ITV) or didn't have to (if you believe STV) to pay their fair share for the cost of the ITV Network programmes that STV didn't show (even though STV was at the time a member of the ITV Network).

Then there was the lawsuit and counter-lawsuit from ITV Networks and STV which were settled out of court. What we do know is that in the end STV paid ITV Network £18million and agreeing that STV would leave the ITV Network and would become an ITV Affiliate, thus a flat annual fee for access to all ITV Network programming regardless of how many of the network shows STV broadcasts.
    Yes thats why we now get the England footie games, and even FA cup, which STV used to op-out of.

Ive nothing against the network shows, although some are shite, i just wish they would use some of that profit to make a decent scots drama, something new original bold and distinctive, im sure if its done well it will sell abroad,

I know 3 countries that would defo buy it, Austrailia, New Zealand and Canada, also Ireland and France, the trick is to make a drama that appeals beyond Scotland.

I suggest a period drama set during 2nd world war, similar to downton abbey about a rich family and their poor servants and affairs and stuff, they could call it RETURN TO LOCH NESS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest a period drama set during 2nd world war, similar to downton abbey about a rich family and their poor servants and affairs and stuff, they could call it RETURN TO LOCH NESS.

Any drama would be good! They appointed a new Head of Drama last year and i can only assume she's bored rigid at work. As you said, Scottish drama's sell well abroad but alas nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again another thing what is "local" to me from STV - the output is mostly from Glasgow HQ par ITV feed - just the STV News at 6 which at times is shambolic :o ... maybe STV should invest more in our STV area and get it fingers out its ass and sort these issues out

As for shows ie Catchphrase - London(?)
    The Lie - Dublin (irish show really)

Oh wait you forgot their recent "cookery" shows (cough cough)

I would not be surprised if you see more 'STV' programmes on BBC than on STV/ITV!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not be surprised if you see more 'STV' programmes on BBC than on STV/ITV!

I see at the moment though STV have a show called "antiques road trip" on BBC/Yesterday :o ... and the production quality is less to desire for at times .... you wonder if it was actually BBC that made it or STV with the dodgy camerawork .... then you realise it is made by STV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But lets remember they just scrapped The Nightshift but then how are they making money? It seems a tad obvious in my opinion that they must make something out of it be through texts/calls ... ie Nightshift as an example they ran it at first as 7 days a week they REDUCED it to say 3 nights then just before they scrapped it was back up to 7 days, anyone with common sense would see they are making money from it. Its like the MTV channels - a network that ran back in 90's WITHOUT teleshopping but now run it - why does a network need teleshopping? Or have a clip show/bingo whatever on during the night? Air programming or just close - or does a "recession" fall on deaf ears with these networks and they need something to survive or they be gone? (I agree with what you say also)

As for Win Cash Live - I initally thought this was across the ITV Network but it ain't ... its another "gamble" / phone service similar to what aired in 00's but apart from we hide the fact its just not running under "STV" but a third party - yet again a channel that has missed out on most networked shows from ITV to be replaced by crap shoody shows