Options

Scammers/Beggar

burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
Forum Member
✭✭
I was driving from my village to town this morning along a country road and there was a car parked in a field gateway. As I approached the driver jumped out in front of me waving his arms . I stopped and asked what was wrong. He was of Indian appearance and had an accent. He said he was from Germany (he showed me a business card with a German address, business name and phone no.) and his credit card wasn't working and he'd run out of petrol. While I had my hand out to take his card, he pulled a gold signet ring off his finger and pressed it into my hand and said "take this as insurance". I said"what do you want from me then". He was going on about his card being denied and I just said "Sorry, but I'm not giving you any money". His face fell then and he just turned away. I drove off and pulled into the police station in town to report it. Stupidly I didn't take his car reg. or even note what make of car it was.

The clerk who took the details was also Asian and I told him he looked like him!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if you'd taken more of an interest in the details of the car number plate, rather than trying to play "spot the foreigner", the "Asian" police officer may have had a better chance of catching him.

That is if he indeed was a begger or criminal.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    I was driving from my village to town this morning along a country road and there was a car parked in a field gateway. As I approached the driver jumped out in front of me waving his arms . I stopped and asked what was wrong. He was of Indian appearance and had an accent. He said he was from Germany (he showed me a business card with a German address, business name and phone no.) and his credit card wasn't working and he'd run out of petrol. While I had my hand out to take his card, he pulled a gold signet ring off his finger and pressed it into my hand and said "take this as insurance". I said"what do you want from me then". He was going on about his card being denied and I just said "Sorry, but I'm not giving you any money". His face fell then and he just turned away. I drove off and pulled into the police station in town to report it. Stupidly I didn't take his car reg. or even note what make of car it was.

The clerk who took the details was also Asian and I told him he looked like him!

Maybe it was him!

Funny places those country villages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubyNyx wrote: »
    Perhaps if you'd taken more of an interest in the details of the car number plate, rather than trying to play "spot the foreigner", the "Asian" police officer may have had a better chance of catching him.

That is if he indeed was a begger or criminal.

What would you have done then? Given him some money?

As to your comment about foreigners, my observation of his ethnic background was merely by way of a description. Same as if he'd been ginger haired, Irish or Albino.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Must have been his lucky day as I can't have shown up too much after you but I played good samaritan.

I took the ring as insurance, went to the nearest petrol station and filled up a tank of petrol for him and took it back.

We had a nice chat as we were filling the car back up. I couldn't take his ring though. Wouldn't feel right.

We said our goodbyes but as I walked back to my car I noticed that his car was a deisel and i'd bought him unleaded. Oops. I gave him a sheepish look and drove off as was too embarrassed to own up.

So maybe not his lucky day after all :blush:

Hopefully another kind soul turned up soon after to help him out futher.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you have done then? Given him some money?

As to your comment about foreigners, my observation of his ethnic background was merely by way of a description. Same as if he'd been ginger haired, Irish or Albino.

Again, as seems to be the trend by some here, people tend to assume things that haven't been written.

Unless put in that situation, I'm not entirely sure what I would have done, I'd have most likely trusted my gut instinct, and acted upon it accordingly, he may have been genuine.

But had I genuinely thought he was a scam artist, the number plate would have been my first priority, not what minority he was.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't happen.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Maybe it was him!

Funny places those country villages.

"Mr Skinner to the managers office... Managers office.... Mrrrrrr Skinneerrrrrrrr..."
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had this happen to us ages ago..... i just gave the guy a tenner and got a gold plated chain out of it, cheaper than argos lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Didn't happen.

Of course not dear.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (^‿^)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I had a similar thing happen in a service area in the Sth of France with some Roma people, they wanted me to pay for a fill up of diesel in their BMW estate because their card wasn't working and offered two 'gold' rings as payment, I could see they were made of brass and said to get lost and then out came some old lady crying and pleading with me, I said the same to her.

I wonder how many more of those rings were in the car.