Transfering files from PVR to my laptop?

Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey everyone :)

I have a Hitachi hdr082 PVR I want to be able to transfer some of my files from my PVR to my laptop, I was thinking of buying a HDMI cable. But im confused :confused: do these cables transfer sound as well as video?? Which is the best cable to buy?? Do i need any other cables??

x

Comments

• cookie_365cookie_365 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have one of those, but very few PVRs let you transfer recordings to a PC.

If it doesn't have a USB port you probably can't.
  • PTDPTD Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a Hitachi hdr082 PVR I want to be able to transfer some of my files from my PVR to my laptop, I was thinking of buying a HDMI cable. But im confused :confused: do these cables transfer sound as well as video?? Which is the best cable to buy?? Do i need any other cables??

x

I don't think it has HDMI output either. If you're thinking of re-recording you probably want a scart to s-video cable, provided your laptop can record tv signals.

For what you have in mind it might be worth having a look at the new Gigo which records directly to usb devices, which you could then put in your laptop to view directly.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member

x
    The Hitachi HDR082 does not have any capability of extracting video files other than by removing the HD from the PVR and installing it in a computer. Not what you had in mind I suspect. Your PVR is made by Vestel and there are other virtually identical Vestel PVRs sold under other brand names and with slightly different software which have USB ports which can be be used with a USB memory stick to extract the video files. The Wharfedale LP160DTRHDMI is one example.

So apart from buying a different PVR the best option is to use the SCART output as suggested by PTD.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    If your laptop has an HDMI socket, that is an output to allow use of an HD television as a monitor.

Another option to those posted above, is to record Freeview directly to the laptop, using a USB receiver such as this one, similar available from £10.
    This will require a feed from your main aerial - portable aerials are notorious for their unreliability with Freeview signals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote: »
    The Hitachi HDR082 does not have any capability of extracting video files other than by removing the HD from the PVR and installing it in a computer.
    I don't know the Hitachi hardware intimately - or at all, as a matter of fact, but there may be a slightly less drastic way.

With my PVR I replaced the ribbon cable connecting the HD to the motherboard, with one that had an extra connector. I was then able to attach a USB converter widget, which allowed me to hijack the hard disc (with the PVR turned off) without having to take the lid off every time.

I admit it's still not for the faint hearted, though.

There is also the question of the disc format used by the PVR firmware. You either need it to be one that's recognised by Windows (or whatever else you are running on your PC) or have some cooperative hacker write a download application. That applies even to the "take the disc out" method.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    There is also the question of the disc format used by the PVR firmware. You either need it to be one that's recognised by Windows (or whatever else you are running on your PC) or have some cooperative hacker write a download application. That applies even to the "take the disc out" method.
    There is thread somewhere on the forum describing how to extract files from a Vestel PVR using a PC so it can be done. I can't remember whether any special software is required or not.

Colin
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote: »
    There is thread somewhere on the forum describing how to extract files from a Vestel PVR
    This one?
    Goodmans GHD8015F2 (Vestel) Recording Extraction

Perhaps this one?
    Recover TV Data from HDD (Grundig) ?
  • PTDPTD Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect we're well out of the OP's comfort zone now. :)