Options

Nokia 221t - v1.6.2 - Software Download

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now the interesting thing for me is that I use Linux instead of Windows. I will be using Wine for the firmware update software and testing the software (without being able to update the firmware yet) it all seems to work fine. The real test will come when the cable arrives.
    It worked, after some minor tweaks to Wine to recognise my serial port, though you may not even need to do that for it to work.

The download worked first time and now I have the 1.6.2 beta on my 221T using Linux and Wine. :)

(though in typical fashion, my 221T crashed within the first five minutes of using the new firmware - sigh...)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    It worked, after some minor tweaks to Wine to recognise my serial port, though you may not even need to do that for it to work.

The download worked first time and now I have the 1.6.2 beta on my 221T using Linux and Wine. :)

(though in typical fashion, my 221T crashed within the first five minutes of using the new firmware - sigh...)

Happy new year to all on here!
    It's still good to see that my webspace is being put to good use! Unlucky that your box crashed within 5 minutes, but my experience of it has been better than before the 1.6.2 upgrade.

--
    http://www.3trees.karoo.net/221t.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    Found out a new thing with the Nokia 221T today, which had at least been mostly working with this 1.6.x firmware unlike before :) So as always MANY thanks to those who made it possible for its dissemination via here.

After whatever it is - 5 years ? - of it feeding its aerial through to a totally analogue 22" non-Freeview set, yesterday I plugged in a 40" 1080P set with of course its own Freeview digital tuner in. The TV tuner initially found all the MUXs and 80+ channels. However later in the day it had 'not tuned' on the BBC MUX and over the next day as I tried to fault find it was down to as few as 40 channels and missing half the MUXs!

Restarting the Nokia 221T would bring some of the MUXs back during TV tuning, but their quality would quickly drift off from 'green' good to 'amber' breakups.

Cutting the Nokia 221T out of the aerial cabling completely means my new TV gets all the MUXs at 'green' strength/quality.

I do not know whether the 221T inability to pass through the digital MUX channel signals reliably & well is a deliberate Nokia design 'feature' (as why buy a Nokia freeview box if one had it in the daisy-chained TV already) or a symptom of an old/decrepit box or a fault of my house/wiring (though my other 2 freeview sets work just fine off their signals) but just an alert possibly to save you a few hours handwringing and retuning and channel list clearing etc etc if you end up in the same boat.

ie My logic went - Nokia gets all MUX, other TV's get all MUX, it must be the new TV is odd/wrong in some way. That was wrong logic, and should have been: cable into Nokia gives it all the MUXs well; cable from Nokia doesn't give TV all the MUXs well.

Incidentally while the Nokia SCART used to deliver in my view a good freeview picture to a 22" set, to a 40" set it's rubbish by comparison with the 2007 designed set's inbuilt digital tuner.

My Nokia 221T still has a deferred appointment with a big/heavy sledgehammer. I'm hoping it will be good for my soul to take out those years of frustration with Nokia & the 221T physically. I will definitely video it and link to here if/when I get round to my petty revenge :rolleyes:
  • Options
    StasisLeakStasisLeak Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    mk-donald wrote: »
    Found out a new thing with the Nokia 221T today, which had at least been mostly working with this 1.6.x firmware unlike before :) So as always MANY thanks to those who made it possible for its dissemination via here.

After whatever it is - 5 years ? - of it feeding its aerial through to a totally analogue 22" non-Freeview set, yesterday I plugged in a 40" 1080P set with of course its own Freeview digital tuner in. The TV tuner initially found all the MUXs and 80+ channels. However later in the day it had 'not tuned' on the BBC MUX and over the next day as I tried to fault find it was down to as few as 40 channels and missing half the MUXs!

Restarting the Nokia 221T would bring some of the MUXs back during TV tuning, but their quality would quickly drift off from 'green' good to 'amber' breakups.

Cutting the Nokia 221T out of the aerial cabling completely means my new TV gets all the MUXs at 'green' strength/quality.

I do not know whether the 221T inability to pass through the digital MUX channel signals reliably & well is a deliberate Nokia design 'feature' (as why buy a Nokia freeview box if one had it in the daisy-chained TV already) or a symptom of an old/decrepit box or a fault of my house/wiring (though my other 2 freeview sets work just fine off their signals) but just an alert possibly to save you a few hours handwringing and retuning and channel list clearing etc etc if you end up in the same boat.

ie My logic went - Nokia gets all MUX, other TV's get all MUX, it must be the new TV is odd/wrong in some way. That was wrong logic, and should have been: cable into Nokia gives it all the MUXs well; cable from Nokia doesn't give TV all the MUXs well.

Incidentally while the Nokia SCART used to deliver in my view a good freeview picture to a 22" set, to a 40" set it's rubbish by comparison with the 2007 designed set's inbuilt digital tuner.

My Nokia 221T still has a deferred appointment with a big/heavy sledgehammer. I'm hoping it will be good for my soul to take out those years of frustration with Nokia & the 221T physically. I will definitely video it and link to here if/when I get round to my petty revenge :rolleyes:

I have used a 221t with a Sony IDTV for several years. I receive all muxes and all channels on both TV and 221T. Picture quality on both is excellent. Perhaps your signal strength is lower or your new tv requires a stronger signal. Placing a receiver inline acts like an attenuator, reducing the signal strength to your TV tuner. I will gladly take the 221T off your hands if you no longer want it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Recently got a Sony IDTV and the built-in Freeview tuner's sensitivity was not as good as the trusty 221T, so there it remains, aerial feed in, mains in and RGB Scart out.
    Bet you can't PID edit on your IDTV ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Conducted a recent firmware update at the same time as having to do the most recent channel rescan with the digital switchover happening in Granada area. Since then I've noticed that some channels are missing altogether, and others are saved under the wrong channel number and no amount of factory resets seems to work for getting the channels back in the right place. An example of this being Four Music which should be on channel 18 seems to be coming up in the three hundreds, as is Ideal world.

Anyone any idea how to resolve this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Widget76 wrote: »
    Conducted a recent firmware update at the same time as having to do the most recent channel rescan with the digital switchover happening in Granada area. Since then I've noticed that some channels are missing altogether, and others are saved under the wrong channel number and no amount of factory resets seems to work for getting the channels back in the right place. An example of this being Four Music which should be on channel 18 seems to be coming up in the three hundreds, as is Ideal world.

Have you tried disconnection of the aerial and then a rescan so that the channel list is empty.

Then reconnect the aerial and do another scan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Another option might be to delete all your current channels (TV and radio) and then do the re-scan.

Out of interest. Does your 221t show the wrong times against the programs or is it just mine that does this?

Mike
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Widget76 wrote: »

I noticed this too. I did a reset with no aerial, then a manual scan of each WH mux. My misnumbering affected only Mux D/ARQ-B, where about two thirds of the channels were in the 300's (eg ITV4 on 323 rather than 24, but Dave ja Vu correctly on 25). I didn't find a way of fixing it, but wasn't that worried as the 221T is attached to a bedroom TV That isn't used that much.
  • Options
    comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest. Does your 221t show the wrong times against the programs or is it just mine that does this?

Mike
    This is because the clocks have gone back. You need to change the time in clock settings. The Nokia allows you to set different times to the broadcast clock in 30 minute increments - not sure why though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    When I'd been doing rescans previously I had done it as a "reinstall" to erase the channel list first, but have just tried the suggestion above of scanning with no aerial connected, and then re-scan with it connected up once more.
    Not only did it not resolve the problem, it caused the box to lock up, something it seems to be doing more and more often lately.

Any other suggestions folks?
  • Options
    comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This box is very prone to crashing whenever you do something like scanning or editing channel lists. It's best to avoid using the Navi button altogther and either use direct channel numbers or the channel up and down buttons to select. The box had a few updates in its early days but nothing solved the crashing problem.

You can get rid of all channels by going into edit channels and ticking all of the boxes in the list to get rid of them. You will have to do this separately for the TV and then the Radio channels. Then rescanning should get everything back in the right place.