Options

Time for football to bring in a Citing Panel?

Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
As they have in rugby - is it now time for football to bring in a citing panel, along with the same level of punnishments?

Comments

• Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as football continues to live in the Dark Ages by ignoring technology and relying on the eyesight and positioning of a middle-aged man then there are bound to be plenty of incidents that go unnoticed during a game, so an after-game review would be beneficial, particually for cheating incidents such as diving
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as football continues to live in the Dark Ages by ignoring technology and relying on the eyesight and positioning of a middle-aged man then there are bound to be plenty of incidents that go unnoticed during a game, so an after-game review would be beneficial, particually for cheating incidents such as diving

I agree - do you think that, to use your example of diving, for instance a 4 week ban would be a suitable level of punishment, and for a more serious issues i.e. de Jong type tackles - 10 week bans?

Keven Mealamu was given a 4 week ban - for a headbutt.

Jamie Cudmore was given a 10 week ban - for stamping.

Or would such bans be too excessive?
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I agree - do you think that, to use your example of diving, for instance a 4 week ban would be a suitable level of punishment, and for a more serious issues i.e. de Jong type tackles - 10 week bans?

Keven Mealamu was given a 4 week ban - for a headbutt.

Jamie Cudmore was given a 10 week ban - for stamping.

Or would such bans be too excessive?

Im not familiar with Rugby so you're gonna have to explain it to me.

Does this panel only sit for incidents missed by the ref? If so how do you equate a dive spotted by the ref being worth a booking but if missed and caught by the panel it gets 4 weeks? Similarly with red card offences?

If the panel sits for all incidents then surely that would involve them working roung the clock given the amount of things that the TV cameras pick up currently and would potential be picking up if people were actually looking for incidents?

I dont think it would work at all but i'd need it explained to me a bit more i think!!
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a pre-agreed set of punishments should be used for particular offences so no player could claim he was treated unfairly if he was found guilty. All punishments, except for diving, should have an element of leeway - say a 3 to 5 match ban for a particular offence rather than a fixed one of 4 - that way the severity of the offence plays a part as well

As for diving - a fixed 1 match ban for a first offence within a season, 2 match ban for second offence, 3 match ban for third offence and so on
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should get rid of the ridiculous rule that if the ref sees the incident they can't do anything. The Steve Morgan elbow on Ian Hume being a case in point.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I think they should get rid of the ridiculous rule that if the ref sees the incident they can't do anything. The Steve Morgan elbow on Ian Hume being a case in point.

The rule makes sense in a general context.

Its the extreme examples that make it look daft.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The rule makes sense in a general context.

Its the extreme examples that make it look daft.

Yes, it does generally, but when you get someone get away with almost killing a player it just makes the whole sport look stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    it's a good idea but will be very hard to implement.

I've long felt the TV companies are in on the cheating. We've seen time and again a player go down holding a different area to where they are touched or cluthing their face rolling about in agony when nothing has happened and Andy Gray and the likes go "That can be really painfull".

There have also been cases where I felt players were making a meal of things but they have gone off injured and missed a few games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Im not familiar with Rugby so you're gonna have to explain it to me.

Does this panel only sit for incidents missed by the ref? If so how do you equate a dive spotted by the ref being worth a booking but if missed and caught by the panel it gets 4 weeks? Similarly with red card offences?

If the panel sits for all incidents then surely that would involve them working roung the clock given the amount of things that the TV cameras pick up currently and would potential be picking up if people were actually looking for incidents?

I dont think it would work at all but i'd need it explained to me a bit more i think!!

Straight from Wikipedia

In rugby union, a citing commissioner is an independent official, appointed by the competition organizer, the union in which the match is taking place, or the International Rugby Board, who is responsible for citing players who commit foul play which is not detected by the match officials.

Teams may bring offences to the attention of the citing commissioner for review. The citing commissioner may cite a player even if the referee has already dealt with the issue (except where he has ordered a player from the field). When there is no citing commissioner, the teams participating in the match have the right to cite players, but may only cite a player for an infringement which the match officials have not dealt with.

A player who is cited is called to a hearing to show cause why he should not be treated as having been sent off for the alleged offence. The player is entitled to be represented. The hearing usually takes place before three independent persons nominated by the union or the competition organizer, and is generally convened within a week of the match in question. If the offence is proven, the panel issues a penalty, usually in the form of a suspension for a number of weeks.

Bear in mind also this (from same wiki page)

There is disagreement on the fairness of citing, as a player who is cited is liable to receive a ban from all competitions for several weeks if found guilty, despite the fact that if the offence was detected during the match, he would have been likely to have received a caution and temporary suspension (yellow card) rather than being sent off.

So citing in rugby has it's critics - and may not be perfect, but (imo) it does make clear that there are potential consequences for players actions on the field of play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citing_commissioner