Options

Clumsy idiot!

BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Being the clumsy fool I am, I knocked my laptop off my desk and now the monitor isn't working. Everything else seems okay, I could still hear the youtube video I was watching, but no picture. I rang Curry's as I am under their 'whateverhappens' guarantee and they told me to take the battery out, hold down the power switch for 30 seconds, then switch it back on at the mains, but this didn't work. They are coming to pick it up to repair in the next couple of days but I won't get it back until after new year. This isn't a major problem but it would be useful to have it over Christmas, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can fix it myself? It is a Toshiba Equium P300-16T. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not without opening it up and checking. Your best bet is to let them fix it under your agreement with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    You could just hook it up to an external monitor and it'd probably work fine, if this is a possibility for you.

Otherwise, sounds like the backlight has gone and will require replacing. At very least the connection may have come loose and require reconnecting; investigating this yourself will require opening the case, however, and likely void your warranty
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've got a spare monitor laying around (or one you could borrow) you could try plugging it into the laptop to see if you get a display, then you can put them off picking it up for a while, at least that will let you use it indoors over christmas.
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I'll let them fix it, don't want to make the situation worse! It's frustrating because I was going to use it for a few things over the holidays but never mind :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a HDTV you could just hook it up the computer using a VGA cable and use it as a monitor.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BrumBall wrote: »
    I don't want to make the situation worse! It's frustrating because I was going to use it for a few things over the holidays but never mind :)
    You wouldn't be damaging anything my plugging in a monitor or TV.

Also, you should backup your data as Curry's may lose the data on the disk in the repair process.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You wouldn't be damaging anything my plugging in a monitor or TV.

Also, you should backup your data as Curry's may lose the data on the disk in the repair process.

excellent advise! backup anything important in case they give you a replacement, or reload the OS or whatever else they might do.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    And securely delete anything 'sensitive', as you never know who might take a nose through it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    And securely delete anything 'sensitive', as you never know who might take a nose through it.

Yep! And not just through the recycle bin method either.