Who has had braces? - Teeth going back after braces!

O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
Forum Member
✭✭
I had braces for 3 years, got them taken off in 2011, was told to wear retainers for one year, day and night for 6 months, then was told to wear them at night, and after 12 Months I stopped wearing them, and now one bottom teeth has gone inwards.

I'm 20 now, is there anything I can do?

Anything like this happen to anyone on here?

Comments

• RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my braces taken off in the summer of 2007 and yes they've moved since then. It's my bottom ones that have moved, not to the extent of where they'd need braces again but they're defiantly not as straight as they were when I first got my braces off. I also have fixed retainers too which is supposed to stop this sort of thing happening lol.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my braces taken off in the summer of 2007 and yes they've moved since then. It's my bottom ones that have moved, not to the extent of where they'd need braces again but they're defiantly not as straight as they were when I first got my braces off. I also have fixed retainers too which is supposed to stop this sort of thing happening lol.

I had see through essix retainers,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=essix+retainers&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HE4BU4CcMOGw7Aa5q4DwDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=766

Do you where your retainers everyday?
  • RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »

Well I have to lol, they're stuck to the back of my teeth so only a dentist can take them off.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fixed+retainer&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3U4BU_-lBMeM7AbV3oEg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=660

Apparently they're not meant to be removed ever though, you're meant to wear the fixed ones for life. I wonder why some people have to wear fixed ones for life whilst others only have a removeable one for a short amount of time?:confused:

I only had a removable retainer for about six months then my orthodontist told me to ditch it. It was a hawley retainer I think, the old kind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea this happened to me to! Saddest thing though is that I actually look goofy again, which is really depressing me. I couldn't afford to get new retainers at the time when I had an accident with them. Just depresses me so much that people used to make me feel bad about my teeth, I had to go through wearing braces and now it was for nothing and I feel so insecure about my mouth. I've become obsessed with how ugly I am just because of my teeth, when I had straight teeth it changed my whole face, shape of my cheeks etc. now I just look so ugly.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get retainers done to stop them moving further. You can get some where you take the mould and send them off yourself so much cheaper than the dentist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    Yea this happened to me to! Saddest thing though is that I actually look goofy again, which is really depressing me. I couldn't afford to get new retainers at the time when I had an accident with them. Just depresses me so much that people used to make me feel bad about my teeth, I had to go through wearing braces and now it was for nothing and I feel so insecure about my mouth. I've become obsessed with how ugly I am just because of my teeth, when I had straight teeth it changed my whole face, shape of my cheeks etc. now I just look so ugly.

Aww, don't worry what anyone else thinks, be confident and be yourself, Do you want braces again? You can get them? thats what I'm thinking, but it will cost me because I'm an adult!
  • Rooney14Rooney14 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Yeah this happened to me too and I'm really upset over it, because I loved how my teeth looked when I got my braces taken off and it really bothers me. They haven't changed a great deal though, my top teeth are exactly the same, they haven't moved at all and only one of my bottom teeth has moved, but it's not very noticeable. I know this is probably a stupid question and I think I know the answer, but does anyone know if it's possible to fix the problem, without involving my orthodontist?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfourtunately I think its a case of having to pay to have braces fitted again, if you want them to move back again so they are straight. If you make an appointment with your dentist or an orthordontist and explain whats happened they would suggest the next best thing to do. I had braces for a little over two years (which I did not enjoy as they made me look really young and awkward) but had them off last year. They gave me a removable retainer for top and bottom and told me the same advice. I wore them for one day and haven't worn them since and my teeth haven't moved. Im lucky ,my teeth were only wonky because I had to many teeth so they took 5 out before the braces and the braces helped fill the gaps with my straightned teeth. Sorry to hear that the braces and retainers did not work as well for you Benbenalen and you too Lexii-Mae. I hope things work out for you both!
  • mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww, don't worry what anyone else thinks, be confident and be yourself

Brilliant, that should do the trick.

I know you are probably just trying to say the right thing but people just can't choose to be confident you know. Some people should think before spouting cliched nonsense, because it doesn't help.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I had got braces before I turned 18, the price is ridiculous.

My teeth aint that bad (a slight overbite and tooth gap forming) and I've read that overbites get worse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike joyce wrote: »
    Brilliant, that should do the trick.

I know you are probably just trying to say the right thing but people just can't choose to be confident you know. Some people should think before spouting cliched nonsense, because it doesn't help.

Some people can't choose to be confident but you can do a lot to to improve it. If one wants to be confident then get off the laptop and get chatting to people face to face.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had mine off about 2.5 years ago. I was told to wear the retainers twice a week for life. Reason being is of my small lower jaw. If I don't wear the retainers my teeth will revert back to how they were. So, yup, I'm in it for life. And I never miss a session with the retainers, could never afford to re brace!
  • Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back when I was a youngster, and cars actually had character - my sweet old Mum brought me to the dentist to have braces fit - the ones you pop in and out.

The hideous creation that was 'produced' for me was comical, hideous, unwieldy and crossed postcodes. My Mum was like a woman on a mission, insisting I half-choke myself each morning - as I tried to push a raging bull (the braces) through the eye of a needle (my poor gob).

When eventually I had managed, I was no longer in possession of this thing called 'vocabulary.'

"help" would sound like "ummmmph"

"I hate dentists" sonded like "ummmmmph"

"please feed me.."..ok, you get the idea.

Suffice to say they were a monumental failure, and today I have a mouth where every tooth was told a horror story too many, and frozen in time - depending what direction they were jumping when finally they were cast in their varied and lopsided tombs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what my aligners look like. So happy with them!
  • cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete Grain wrote: »
    Back when I was a youngster, and cars actually had character - my sweet old Mum brought me to the dentist to have braces fit - the ones you pop in and out.

The hideous creation that was 'produced' for me was comical, hideous, unwieldy and crossed postcodes. My Mum was like a woman on a mission, insisting I half-choke myself each morning - as I tried to push a raging bull (the braces) through the eye of a needle (my poor gob).

When eventually I had managed, I was no longer in possession of this thing called 'vocabulary.'

"help" would sound like "ummmmph"

"I hate dentists" sonded like "ummmmmph"

"please feed me.."..ok, you get the idea.

Suffice to say they were a monumental failure, and today I have a mouth where every tooth was told a horror story too many, and frozen in time - depending what direction they were jumping when finally they were cast in their varied and lopsided tombs.

Ahahaha!

OP one of my teeth stuck back out again after about two years of fixed braces and one of retainers. It's one of my front ones so I'm quite self conscious about it,although it's nit as bad as it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, mine have moved back.

I'm incredibly self conscious about my one goofy tooth now, hate smiling on pictures because of it.
    Unfortunately can't afford to pay to have them refitted now :(
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My bottom teeth have moved back to how they were. But it's no big deal for me, because I was more bothered about my top row, and I have a fixed brace on the back so they have stayed straight. One day I might have something done to the bottom set again, but unless you look at them from above, you can't really tell they are sligthly wonky anyway.
  • mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people can't choose to be confident but you can do a lot to to improve it. If one wants to be confident then get off the laptop and get chatting to people face to face.

Is this directed to me? I don't want to chat to people for the sake of it. I find humans in general very overrated. Please try and think before you type in future.
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »

I'm sure you do not look ugly :(
    If you have a look at high fashion Georgia May Jagger etc all have gaps etc in their teeth and David Walliams wife the model Lara Stone.

I recently got cosmetic dentristy because my teeth were a bit big,they didn't stick out but they were big,I'm happy with them now and even though I could get more stuff done I don't want to end up going down the veneers route because I think they look unnatural and weird.

However if you are REALLY unhappy about them to the point it is affecting your self esteem could you not get them fixed on the NHS?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    We all have different correction period and dentist always recommend an average time to wear braces or retainers. Wearing these for longer or shorter time doesn’t give the result as we expects. I had my braces time few years back. I check on it every couple of days and if I noticed something wrong I’ll call up my dentist, Dr. Stephen Phelan, Ontario, and inform about the situation; saves a lot of bones too :D
    I got my braces removed earlier than the prescribed time and I was happy for that.
  • Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wore braces for an astoshining 8 YEARS from 2003 to 2011. When in find out i would have to wear retainers after that i got sick of it and stopped wearing them. my teeth have started to go back but i cudnt give a toss now. i never paid a penny towards the braces anyway. it was free for me as i was 15 when the treatment started.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I had train tracks for 5 years until I was 17, (they were left on too long apparently) I did have to wear a removable brace for 6 months or so but couldn't be bothered and gave up, my teeth are fine, one thing I have noticed over the years is that my teeth have remained straight but I have developed gaps between the bottom ones.

I was terrible with them though, I was meant to put those elastic bands on them at night and I never did and I would eat toffee and break the wire and sometimes the bit would come away from the tooth.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't, but my brother did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Both my Kids will need braces ive been told by the dentist.I never thought teeth could go back to how they were,thats a shock.I always wanted braces as a kid especially the train track ones.I thought they looked very American and cool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to get them fixed again I would really recommend ceramic braces. You honestly can barely see them (as long as you avoid strong curry :blush:). When I look at photos you would never know I had them on.

I looked into it before and was told two years with metal braces which really put me off but when I went somewhere else and got the ceramics it was just 8 months so it's worth looking around a bit.