Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    That's.... ridiculous.

Is it because they don't have space before 7pm, or what? If they have the space they should launch it at whichever time it needs to. So it might open at 7.30, or 7.40 or 7.20? The first show which is airing past 7.20pm on the main channel gets included maybe.

BBC One +1 is proposed to timeshare with CBBC on Freeview as it is replacing BBC Three which currently shares spectrum with CBBC. The issue is Freeview carriage, which is very expensive. The BBC couldn't justify a full-time channel just for +1 on Freeview, and probably couldn't justify renting space on Sky and Virgin for a 24-hour +1 channel that Freeviewers couldn't access.

EDIT: And starting the +1 channel at 19:00 (for 18:00 programming) would cause issues with the national and regional news. News gets tiny +1 audiences and there could only be one version of the regional news, or a red screen and banner ("The news in your area was shown one hour ago. Tough!")

As part of the changes, CBBC would have its hours extended to 20:00, from 19:00 currently.

Actually, this could be an excellent excuse for the BBC never to start Strictly before 19:00!
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    As part of the changes, CBBC would have its hours extended to 20:00, from 19:00 currently.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    They're extending CBBC to 8pm so presumably BBC One +1 will carry on from that - but of course, only if the closure of BBC Three actually happens.

Why not just keep CBBC at the same times it is and start One+1 at 7? :confused:
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Scotland produces mostly quiz shows like Eggheads for the network. It wouldn't be as big a blow for the BBC as Wales going independent, where really big hitters like DW and Casualty come from.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »

I guess because during the week the 6 O'Clock News Hour would be conflicting with the current News on the News Channel although this is obviously not considered a problem at 10pm!
  • Options
    Forum Member

See my late edit above. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    BBC Scotland produces mostly quiz shows like Eggheads for the network. It wouldn't be as big a blow for the BBC as Wales going independent, where really big hitters like DW and Casualty come from.

The BBC would simply relocate to London and make programmes there, like it did for 50 years before the Labour Government ordered them to be less London-centric.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess because during the week the 6 O'Clock News Hour would be conflicting with the current News on the News Channel although this is obviously not considered a problem at 10pm!

Well yes - if it was to do with being unable to regionalise the +1 channel for the local news in the 6:30 slot then it'd make sense, but it surely can't be if they're perfectly happy to have +1 running during the 10:25pm local news.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

+1 would just be airing out of date news for it's first hour if it started at 7pm. During 7:30pm-8pm it may even have a blank screen because +1 can't air regional variations (or maybe network the London news). It's convienent to extend CBBC for an hour until 8pm but you can't really do anything with the 10:25pm slot so it will have to be a blank screen with a message.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay Neil, I'll trust your evidently greater knowledge!
    The BBC would simply relocate to London and make programmes there, like it did for 50 years before the Labour Government ordered them to be less London-centric.

Or Salford.

Not that Wales are going independent any time soon. If there are any benefits for Scotland doing it, which is questionable, there'd be even less for Wales. The last poll came back with only 5% of Welsh residents in favour of Welsh independence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EDIT: I'm not sure I have great broadcasting technical knowledge, besides ratings I'm pretty hopeless!
    Well yes - if it was to do with being unable to regionalise the +1 channel for the local news in the 6:30 slot then it'd make sense, but it surely can't be if they're perfectly happy to have +1 running in the 10:25pm local news.

That runs for only about ten minutes though, so not really a big issue. They could show the BBC News channel's paper review which is done at that time if they were very clever although I'm not sure that's technically possible. Maybe just show BBC One London's feed? Or a red screen.

Inside Out at 19:30/20:30 could just show the version shown on BBC One HD which rotates around the regions or, if that's not possible, again the BBC One London feed throughout the whole evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay Neil, I'll trust your evidently greater knowledge!

Or Salford.

Not that Wales are going independent any time soon. If there are any benefits for Scotland doing it, which is questionable, there'd be even less for Wales. The last poll came back with only 5% of Welsh residents in favour of Welsh independence.

I wonder how many English people would vote for English Independence? If England had a vote on Scottish Independence, do you think they'd vote for or against it? Good idea for a TV debate! The ratings could reflect the result!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

if that ever happened i suspect casualty would have come to the end of its life and probably dr who as well, although they could be moved to england if they were still popular.

it won't happen anyway, wales going independent, its like saying itv will have a hit breakfast show one day. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many English people would vote for English Independence? If England had a vote on Scottish Independence, do you think they'd vote for or against it? Good idea for a TV debate! The ratings could reflect the result!

With the +1 figure being used in the event of a tie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the +1 figure being used in the event of a tie.

Unless it was on Channel 5 and they'd use the +24 figure just to be safe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it would be interesting to know, however i suspect many don't really care enough as it is a matter for the scots.

if the YES campaign win, it could give england back its own identity, which i personally think would be a good thing. we will see, only just over a week to go, thank goodness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bbc don't need +1 channels, most people have some devise to record shows and there is the excellent iplayer. its not as though the beeb need the +1 channels to compete with itv, they are way ahead in terms of share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be interesting to know, however i suspect many don't really care enough as it is a matter for the scots.

if the YES campaign win, it could give england back its own identity, which i personally think would be a good thing. we will see, only just over a week to go, thank goodness.

Yes, if England got back its own identity that would indeed be a nice thing. The Welsh have theirs, the Scots have theirs and even those in NI have theirs. Goodness, even Cornwall have theirs! But the rest of England is generally regarded as just "the UK".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DS report:
    The X Factor continued on ITV with more than 8.4 million last night (September 6), according to overnight data.

The singing contest drew 8.43m (39.4%) from 8pm, with a further 481k (2.4%) tuning in on +1. ITV2's The Xtra Factor was caught by 740k (3.8%) afterwards.

Elsewhere on ITV, The Chase appealed to 4.17m (23%) from 7pm, and Through the Keyhole managed 3.46m (17.6%) from 9.20pm.

On BBC One, the latest episode of Doctor Who entertained 5.22m (25.4%) from 7.30pm.

Tumble continued with 2.97m (19.5%) from 6pm, while The National Lottery: In It to Win It and Casualty attracted 3.08m (14.6%) and 3.88m (18.9%) respectively later in the night.

BBC Two saw Proms Extra grab 471k (2.7%) from 7pm. An airing of The Ides of March took 731k (4%) from 9.15pm.

A Channel 4 repeat of Peter Kay: Live & Back on Nights! was enjoyed by 1.22m (5.9%) from 9pm.

Over on Channel 5, the latest Celebrity Big Brother instalment was watched by 1.16m (5.8%) from 9.15pm.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a595096/the-x-factor-nets-84m-on-itv-doctor-who-grabs-52m-on-bbc-one.html#~oPbUl0zxX7pxh8#ixzz3CdnxbdAJ
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doctor Who finished around 2110-2120, think X-Factor went on until 2130.
    Saturday 23 November 2013
    19:50-21:07 - Doctor Who
    20:00-21:28 - The X Factor

http://overnights.tv/ProgrammeSearch?submitAction=Go&SelectedChannel=50%3A10&SearchWithinOption=SpecificChannel&ProgrammeNameSearchOption=Contains&ProgrammeName=doctor%20who&StartDate=23%2F11%2F2013&EndDate=23%2F11%2F2013&StartTime=06%3A00&EndTime=29%3A59&WithAudienceFigures=False&SkipCombined=True&SkipTimeShifted=True&SkipTerrestrialOnMultiChannel=True&IncludeScottish=False&IncludeWelsh=False&IncludeS4C=False&IncludeS4CWelshSpeaking=False&IncludeNetwork=True&IncludeMultiChannel=True&SelectedAudienceCategory=901&MinShare=0&MaxShare=100&MinAudience=0&MaxAudience=25000000&MinTvr=0&MaxTvr=100&MinDuration=3&MaxDuration=600&Monday=True&Tuesday=True&Wednesday=True&Thursday=True&Friday=True&Saturday=True&Sunday=True&SaveFormat=0
    http://overnights.tv/ProgrammeSearch?submitAction=Go&SelectedChannel=50%3A30&SearchWithinOption=SpecificChannel&ProgrammeNameSearchOption=Contains&ProgrammeName=x%20fac&StartDate=23%2F11%2F2013&EndDate=23%2F11%2F2013&StartTime=06%3A00&EndTime=29%3A59&WithAudienceFigures=False&SkipCombined=True&SkipTimeShifted=True&SkipTerrestrialOnMultiChannel=True&IncludeScottish=False&IncludeWelsh=False&IncludeS4C=False&IncludeS4CWelshSpeaking=False&IncludeNetwork=True&IncludeMultiChannel=True&SelectedAudienceCategory=901&MinShare=0&MaxShare=100&MinAudience=0&MaxAudience=25000000&MinTvr=0&MaxTvr=100&MinDuration=3&MaxDuration=600&Monday=True&Tuesday=True&Wednesday=True&Thursday=True&Friday=True&Saturday=True&Sunday=True&SaveFormat=0

:)

I predict last night's X Factor will consolidate to about 10.1m (inc +1) and tonight's episode far less, so GBBO should win the week with perhaps 10.4m. :)

Thank you. :)

Do we know how Bake Off has been consolidating this week?
    Could it? Not sure I'd want to be paying the amount of money they do for it for under 6m viewers :p

True. :D Just on the face of it, it still wouldn't be a bad rating. Relatively speaking, it would be awful of course.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks D.M.N. :)

Do you have the consolidated ratings for The Chase, Keyhole and CBB on Saturday 30th please?

Including +1 and HD:

The Chase: 4.36m
    Through the Keyhole: 4.33m
    Celebrity Big Brother: 1.56m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all this talk of referendums and National Identities, how do you guys see "The Last Night of the Proms" rating next week? I bet there's a lot of Scottish-ness in it this year!
  • Options
    jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the official figures for The X Factor have the ads etc stripped out of them? I remember it being said that the timing and advert adjustments do not occur until the weekly upload to BARB, though I presume this is just administrative and after a weeks viewing, adjustments are made.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know how Our Zoo is doing via catch up?

Based on the thread about it here there was near universal approval. Rarely recall seeing such unanimity. Its audience appreciation figures in that respect should be very interesting.

And word of mouth might boost this show if people talk about it widely enough.

Moreover many posters were saying on there - even before it aired - that this was a Sunday 8 pm show not a 9pm midweek one.

The Radio Times comments on it saying the same thing whilst previewing episode 2 were in shops the day before episode 1 aired and so also written well in advance of anyone seeing the ratings.

(Someone posted earlier in here that comments to this effect appear to have been made in hindsight on this thread - but they were not further afield).

It was blindingly obvious this was one of the very few dramas around today that the whole family could watch together and so to screen it at 9 pm midweek just as all the kids were back at school seems an inexplicable miscalculation (unless the animals turn into zombies and start eating people in Chester over the next few weeks).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the bbc don't need +1 channels, most people have some devise to record shows and there is the excellent iplayer. its not as though the beeb need the +1 channels to compete with itv, they are way ahead in terms of share.

Tell that to the viewers who wrote into Points of View asking why the BBC was so far behind the times in not having one. I think there's a general audience expectation that every channel should have one (besides sports and news channels).

+1 channels are useful in recording clashes and also for people who don't have a PVR (a surprisingly high minority of Freeviewers do not - I think it might be 40%).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wonder if the F1 will get a boost from the lack of football today. Was quite an eventful race too.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-english-people-overwhelmingly-want-scotland-to-stay-in-the-uk-9679439.html

59% of England want no seperation. Wonder how many of them are Labour supporters realising their party would never get in again if Scotland went seperate :P
    Unless it was on Channel 5 and they'd use the +24 figure just to be safe!

:D
This discussion has been closed.