The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Although if that were the case, you wonder why EE isn't the most watched since that has 4 episodes compared to 5 Corrie and 6 Emmerdale episodes per week. I do agree about there being too many episodes though. They all only NEED three episodes a week maximum if they want to sustain a long term audience.

Problem is, particularly for ITV, what else could they show that would get 6-7 million viewers in these slots? However, should the soaps continue to decline, then I think the number of episodes will be cut. It's even possible in a decade's time, they could be shown in the 4.30-6.00 slot, as judging by the trends of the last ten years, CS and EE could be down to 4 million viewers by then.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldnt be surprised to see the soaps relagated to teatime in the future. Without sounding awful, a lot of their audience is dying, and isnt being replaced by new young viewers.
  • david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I certainly wouldnt be surprised to see the soaps relagated to teatime in the future. Without sounding awful, a lot of their audience is dying, and isnt being replaced by new young viewers.

I serioulsly doubt that would happen
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Bushmills.

That has been up on recent weeks. Don't want to be flippant but Lynda Bellingham has boosted ratings for them this week more than the revamp did. They still can't beat Bargain Hunt and that's in repeats!

Are you suggesting Loose Women should be beating Bargain Hunt, the top OAP skewer in the BBC schedule? Nothing on ITV at that slot has any chance of beating that programme, and even in rpt's we know that the effect it has on the BBC daytime schedule is absolutely nothing.

Loose Women is past its sell by date and should be either axed or moved to ITV2/ITVBe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful ratings for Corrie, but if it wasn't so bad right now I honestly think it would be well over 7.5m closer to 8m for both episodes.

I think the viewers that have stopped watching Corrie, have also given up soap altogether. EastEnders was poor for three years and so those viewers stopped watching and continued with Corrie. Now Corrie is poor and dire, those viewers have just stop watching soaps altogether.

If ITV don't act soon, Corrie will not recover. We've seen the struggle EastEnders is facing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogglebox is a monster. Only 1m viewers away from Lewis (which is well down on the January series, following the same trend as everything else) and 800k for HIGNFY.

Disappointing to see 'Secrets From The Sky' below 3m, its a quality factual series fit for BBC4. Another affect of a poor Corrie. I don't think anyone really knows how serious the situation is for ITV. If Corrie declines too much, the entire schedule will collapse. Viewers will choose to record the programmes they like, instead of watching them LIVE.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note: In the officials, Stand Up to Cancer is listed as one show from 19:00 to 00:00. It averaged 2.32m (11.6%).
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When is Still Open Hours coming back? Wasn't a series due this autumn?
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    For some time now I have had a conspiracy theory that the BBC1 schedulers are quietly trying to kill EE for their own devious reasons. While the 7.30 airings on Tuesday and Thursday have TOS as a lead in...

Not sure why The One Show is being blamed for EastEnders' ratings. It got 4.06m (21.1%) tape-checked on Thursday, 4.32m (22.1%) tape-checked a week last Tuesday. Where are all these programmes that can do better against Emmerdale (not to mention its low cost, promotional potential and significant PSB content)?

On Thursday of last week, only facing ten minutes of Emmerdale due to football, it surged to 4.68m (25.0%) tape-checked, outrating ITV's hot new 9pm drama launch excluding +1.
    on Monday at 7.30 regional programmes (sometimes repeats)...

Don't know about your region, but every regional show in the Monday 19:30 slot in the South West this year has been new, bar one special case: The Storms That Shook the South West, originally shown in my region in April, was shown across the network in May to just over 3m viewers. Inside Out got 3.4m/16% both last week and the week before according to Broadcast mag (full slot, so inflated by perhaps 0.3m). Again, not bad considering the opposition.
    and on Fridays repeats of QOS. BBC1 really should be doing better than that.

If I was the scheduler, I'd put new episodes on Fridays, and repeat them on Mondays at 22:35. The new episode on Monday was subject to an opt-out in the three smaller nations and shown later that night, and last night's repeat wasn't broadcast in Wales, so the only chance Wales had to watch AQOS this week was at 23:05 on Monday. Next Friday Wales opts out again; as does the South West, for a programme about the UK's biggest fireworks competition at Plymouth Sound.

It must be a nightmare to compile an official ratings average for AQOS; it's all a bit of a mess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are filming in interior scenes now, so I suspect it will launch on Boxing Day to start the new series off. From there it could be only one way, unless the scripts are good enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Telegraph has suggested 'This Missing' will become the most talked about drama on TV this Winter, since Broadchurch and The Fall. The 1st episode is given big thumbs up.

Have they forgotten Happy Valley?

How is it that this Autmn/Winter the BBc have got most of their dramas so 'right', with ITV making a complete mess. The Great Fire and Chasing Shadows flopping, Granthester dropping with some weaker 1st episodes and Lewis with underwhelming ratings? Only Cilla has delivered.

I think the BBC are getting more drama scripts than ITV, who are struggling and commissioning anything. That is why they are limited with drama.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    As usual the second Corrie, which tends to finish early, gets a tape-checking boost (to 6.9m / 7.0m):

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a605828/coronation-streets-kylie-callum-story-seen-by-71m-on-friday.html#~oTHFb4WWJvYr5V

The deleted five minutes just before 21:00 therefore rated approx. 4.9m / 5.0m.

The Christmas soap ratings could make for grim reading. Where are the boosts?
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member

I think we'll see the first episode over Christmas followed by a new series in January. On Sunday nights maybe? Has a Sunday feel to it.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why The One Show is being blamed for EastEnders' ratings. It got 4.06m (21.1%) tape-checked on Thursday, 4.32m (22.1%) tape-checked a week last Tuesday. Where are all these programmes that can do better against Emmerdale (not to mention its low cost, promotional potential and significant PSB content)?

On Thursday of last week, only facing ten minutes of Emmerdale due to football, it surged to 4.68m (25.0%) tape-checked, outrating ITV's hot new 9pm drama launch excluding +1.

Don't know about your region, but every regional show in the Monday 19:30 slot in the South West this year has been new, bar one special case: The Storms That Shook the South West, originally show in my region in April, was shown across the network in May to just over 3m viewers.

If I was the scheduler, I'd put new episodes on Fridays, and repeat them on Mondays at 22:35. The new episode on Monday was subject to an opt-out in the three smaller nations and shown later that night, and last night's repeat wasn't broadcast in Wales, so the only chance Wales had to watch AQOS this week was at 23:05 on Monday. Next Friday Wales opts out again; as does the South West, for a programme about the UK's biggest fireworks competition at Plymouth Sound.

It must be a nightmare to compile an official ratings average for AQOS; it's all a bit of a mess.

EE likely to be further dented on Tuesday when it moves to BBC2 in Scotland to make way for a football match.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are filming in interior scenes now, so I suspect it will launch on Boxing Day to start the new series off. From there it could be only one way, unless the scripts are good enough.

They are currently recording at Pinewood, three more episodes on November 7,14 and 21.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Note: In the officials, Stand Up to Cancer is listed as one show from 19:00 to 00:00. It averaged 2.32m (11.6%).

Would it be possible to calculate an official number from the breakdown for Celebrity Gogglebox which ran 21:18 - 21:38 please?
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    EE likely to be further dented on Tuesday when it moves to BBC2 in Scotland to make way for a football match.

Tuesday 28 October 2014

BBC One Scotland
    19:00 - Sportscene
    Rob Maclean introduces live coverage of the League Cup quarter-final tie between Rangers and St Johnstone
    21:30 - The One Show

BBC Two Scotland
    19:00 - Dad's Army (r)
    19:30 - EastEnders

Is that Scottish tie enough of a draw actually to boost EastEnders slightly in the overnights (seeing as the soap does less well north of the border)? It kicks off at 19:15.

Much as I defend The One Show, 21:30 isn't quite right for it...Would have been more logical to show it live on BBC Two Scotland at 19:00, and great fun in my view to have a Dad's Army repeat at 21:30 on BBC One Scotland.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    The Telegraph has suggested 'This Missing' will become the most talked about drama on TV this Winter, since Broadchurch and The Fall. The 1st episode is given big thumbs up.

Have they forgotten Happy Valley?

How is it that this Autmn/Winter the BBc have got most of their dramas so 'right', with ITV making a complete mess. The Great Fire and Chasing Shadows flopping, Granthester dropping with some weaker 1st episodes and Lewis with underwhelming ratings? Only Cilla has delivered.

I think the BBC are getting more drama scripts than ITV, who are struggling and commissioning anything. That is why they are limited with drama.

Happy Valley definately deserves to be mentioned although good they have at least picked up on The Fall as BBC2 shows usually seem to be neglected.
    I dont think BBC have got things so right either. Their dramas have been solid with In The Club growing and Our Zoo being quaility without the ratings, the others have been no more than OK.
    I find Grantchester really dull but it will return I am sure and deserves to with the ratings its getting. As for The Missing - do critics ever call these things correctly? Didnt we have postive reviews for The Great Fire? Lets wait and see.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry but that just isn't the case. BBC1 haven't had much luck this Autumn either. Mondays have seen New Tricks take an almighty year on year fall, Tuesdays have seen The Driver put in lacklustre numbers (In The Club did fairly well but that was Summer not Autumn/Winter). Our Zoo was disappointing out of Bake Off on Wednesdays, Doctor Who is fine but unspectacular and Our Girl has hardly put in a set of stellar numbers. OK against Downton at best and will probably be axed. All in all they've had a pretty average run. Meanwhile ITV have had Grantchester do solid but unspectacular numbers and Cilla do really well on Mondays, an OK-ish run of Scott & Bailey on Wednesdays, disasters with Chasing Shadows and The Great Fire on Thursdays, OK numbers for Lewis but quite a way down on previous numbers on Fridays, a disaster for Mr Whicher and a year on year fall for Downton (but still very strong numbers).

You've made out that BBC1 have had a great run and ITV's has been awful which isn't the case at all. Both sides I think have done OK overall but would have hoped for better. I think The Missing could potentially do well but I wouldn't get ahead of yourself yet.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say that's a disappointing rating for Lewis. I wasn't expecting it to match its January Monday numbers on Fridays but 4.5m is lower than it should be. The series started with 5.6m so I wonder why it has lost a million viewers when it's normally stable across the run? I don't watch it so can't comment but it really should be doing 5m+ and seeing it in the 4s is disappointing.

It seems to have been a really lacklustre year for ratings overall. Bake Off was huge but everything else just seems really flat and has done all year. No doubt I'm A Celebrity will follow the trend. I hope 2015 is better.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 28 October 2014

BBC One Scotland
    19:00 - Sportscene
    Rob Maclean introduces live coverage of the League Cup quarter-final tie between Rangers and St Johnstone
    21:30 - The One Show

BBC Two Scotland
    19:00 - Dad's Army (r)
    19:30 - EastEnders

Is that Scottish tie enough of a draw actually to boost EastEnders slightly in the overnights (seeing as the soap does less well north of the border)? It kicks off at 19:15.

Much as I defend The One Show, 21:30 isn't quite right for it...Would have been more logical to show it live on BBC Two Scotland at 19:00, and great fun in my view to have a Dad's Army repeat at 21:30 on BBC One Scotland.

Hypothetically if the BBC had a networked FA Cup match running 19:00 - 21:30 on a weekday, I doubt they would then air the One Show at 21:30, so it seems odd for BBC Scotland to do it. As you said, if they air Eastenders on BBC2 may as well put the One Show there too.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

CS and Emmerdale have this problem the most, half their audience is over 55 and for all they do have a fair sized younger following, it probably won't be enought to justify peak time slots in years to come. I can see in ten years time where The Chase sits now ITV having a soap hour, which will probably get 3.5 million. The BBC doesn't have the same commercial pressures as ITV and could it be possible if EE falters, it being moved back to 4.30.
    Typicall y in 2024 on weekdays I can see the following on BBC One and ITV
    BBC One
    4.30 Eastenders
    5.00 Quiz on the lines of Pointless
    ITV
    4.00 The Chase or equivalent
    5.00 Emmerdale
    5.30 Coronation St
    Should Neighbours and Home and Away still be around, no doubt Channel 5 will start its soap hour at 6.00.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Typicall y in 2024 on weekdays I can see the following on BBC One and ITV
    BBC One
    4.30 Eastenders
    5.00 Quiz on the lines of Pointless
    ITV
    4.00 The Chase or equivalent
    5.00 Emmerdale
    5.30 Coronation St
    Should Neighbours and Home and Away still be around, no doubt Channel 5 will start its soap hour at 6.00.

And what goes in primetime?
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This old chestnut rearing it's head again - let's not forget the soaps have all suffered a huge loss in viewers over the last 2 years and it's not because the audience is dying.

What replaces them in primetime?

No genre of tv consistently gets the ratings the soaps bring in every night - until some genre of tv rises up that can overtake the soaps ratingswise, they'll stay exactly where they are.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason drama's are under performing is because there are just too many of them. Whilst drama is important and valued, you can have too much. There is very little comedy, very little entertainment and lots of filler docs and drama. The Apprentice and GBBO are/did perform (ing) well because they are an oasis of variety in a sea of drama and soap opera.
This discussion has been closed.