Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason they won't edit these shows is that it would be a reminder of all the bad publicity involving the presenters. It certainly isn't a time thing. I know I could easily put a video file of one of these TOTPs in windows movie maker and remove the presenter links in less than 5 minutes - in fact I'm going to have a go at it. I'd imagine it would be even less with the editing software the BBC have, That is their right not to show them, of course, but they can't expect us dedicated fans to forget what we are missing because of this however much they would like us to.
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    The only reason they won't edit these shows is that it would be a reminder of all the bad publicity involving the presenters. It certainly isn't a time thing. I know I could easily put a video file of one of these TOTPs in windows movie maker and remove the presenter links in less than 5 minutes - in fact I'm going to have a go at it. I'd imagine it would be even less with the editing software the BBC have, That is their right not to show them, of course, but they can't expect us dedicated fans to forget what we are missing because of this however much they would like us to.

BIB - Visual editing wouldn't take too long, no. But sound editing may take a while to sort out.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it was a different point. The early evening broadcasts are edited for time, not content. My point was that it was awkward enough to edit a programme that has already been edited without too much audio or visual disruption to fit into a different time frame. In that case the editor does that very well, which is what viewers pick up on.

However, editing it further to remove specific content and paste in different images/footage may technically be done competently by the same editor but the overall effect would be unavoidably clunky for the viewer. If anything, it would only draw more attention to the missing presenter than if the original edit had been left as it was. It would be a pointless exercise.

I know all that. I wasn't suggesting they edit the edited shows. That would be silly. Rather that they kill two birds with one stone by editing the full versions differently. Editing out the links would shorten the programme enough to allow the inclusion of at least one song that would otherwise be edited out for time. I'm sure most viewers would prefer a slightly "clunky" edit to the loss of a song.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aha - perhaps that's the solution - hand out all the offending episodes to fans and let us do all the work :)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the episode on Thursday, it's interesting to hear Andy Peebles mention his afternoon show on Radio 1. I do remember him presenting My Top Ten, doing interviews, acting as a stand in and presenting an unusual show on Friday nights featuring soul and football reports, but did he have a regular weekday show in 1979?
    Actually he always came across as one of the more modest jocks of that era and his style is restrained yet professional.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has the 7.30pm Thursday TOTP even got to be edited at all? Why does it have to finish at 8pm exactly? Why is BBC4 under such strict time constraints like BBC1? There is no reason for it to be. It should be shown unedited at 7.30pm and finish at 8.10pm if that is how long it is. People are capable of working out when things begin if they are not on the exact hour or half hour, plus they have no rigid later news bulletins to factor in later in the evening. There is no logic to editing the 7.30pm showing of TOTP.
  • andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,849
    Forum Member
    If this is representative of what kind of letters/emails the BBC receives on a daily basis it's no wonder they give withering replies.

TV doesn't happen by magic. There is a lot of work, effort and time put into making and broadcasting 100s of shows across the network with 10 times as many decisions on each being made. Do you even realise what it is you're asking for? Do you have any understanding of what video editing entails, not least editing something that has already been edited without losing its basic context?

We all have the right to an opinion, my opinion is no less valid than anyone else's, but as a compulsory consumer of the BBC (£145.50 pa) which I have no choice but to pay should I wish to view any terrestrial channels, not just those offered by the BBC, I would at least expect a right to reply from a complaints department which is both balanced and impartial, not dismissive and condescending in it's response when I exercise that right to reply.

It is no less what I would expect from as a consumer of their service, and a Public Service Broadcaster part-funded by myself.

More worryingly, the content of my letter was I feel misrepresented by the department to read as a complaint regarding the broadcasting of the show, when it is clear if the reader at the BBC had actually taken the time to study the points raised, this was not the case.

It was a criticism of the BBC's editorial double standards which is arbitarily exercised against BBC4 viewers, but not against a prime time Saturday night BBC2 documentary, a point which the complaints department failed to acknowledge.
    andyd1302 wrote: »

Thank you for contacting the BBC.

I understand you would like to see footage of Dave Lee Travis and Jimmy Savile removed from repeats of 'Top of the Pops'.

We can confirm that we will not be showing TOTP repeats fronted by Dave Lee Travis of Jimmy Savile. We will consider any other archive appearances on a case by case basis according to their editorial merits.

Is it not unreasonable to assume that a right to reply should exist to accept comments and suggestions on how a service can be improved for the benefit of the licence payer, otherwise what is the point of the department existing?

Ideally, I'd rather the shows were aired unedited in a late night slot, as I take the view there is always the 'off' switch. What does bother me however, is the BBC decides (on my behalf) to operate a 'scorched earth' policy against these shows seemingly with no other consideration besides a face saving one for the Corporation, and an arrogant presumption I will have to 'like it or lump it'. This standpoint I feel does not represent myself as a compulsory contributor to the organisation.

I would agree the natural flow would be interrupted from the original broadcast if TOTP was to be edited and shown, but in the short-term I would rather go for a compromise than a non-broadcast, as I want to enjoy the shows now, in another 35 Years I may not have my faculties! :D

I am well aware of the work that goes into video editing, as I have a family friend who works freelance for the BBC editing prime time programmming across BBC1 and BBC2, and my best friend runs his own video production and editing business which i have visited on many occasions thank you.

My letter to the BBC was merely offering suggestions and compromises where I think the current situation could be improved, which as a compulsory consumer I have a right to do....
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Why has the 7.30pm Thursday TOTP even got to be edited at all? Why does it have to finish at 8pm exactly? Why is BBC4 under such strict time constraints like BBC1? There is no reason for it to be. It should be shown unedited at 7.30pm and finish at 8.10pm if that is how long it is. People are capable of working out when things begin if they are not on the exact hour or half hour, plus they have no rigid later news bulletins to factor in later in the evening. There is no logic to editing the 7.30pm showing of TOTP.

Looking at the schedules from old Radio Times on the BBC Genome project, Top of the Pops moved round the schedules on different weeks between 7.00 and 8.00 depending on other programming.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

With the prevalence of PVR's with series link, it's now even less necessary for programming on any channel to slavishly start on the hour/half hour.

Why can't the BBC for instance be more flexible with BBC World News on BBC4 on a Thursday or any day for that matter, running it from 7pm to 7.10-7.30 as required?

This would have the added benefit of saving money on production/studio time for BBC News/BBC4.

It's not like there is no other avenue for accessing BBC News, and I thought the whole point of BBC4 was to promote the arts and culture..
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Dr Hook looked quite handsome! Don't remember him being good looking!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

http://eil.com/images/main/Dr-Hook-The-Best-Of-Dr-Ho-289747.jpg
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Who would have been the longest serving dancer at this point since the dance troupes started?

Surely Sue would have been a contender, starting in 74 & going through to the bitter end in 81, plus her Zoo appearance?

Eurasian Ruth Pearson danced on TOTP with Pan's People between May 1968 and April 1976, i.e. one month shy of eight years.

Sue Menhenick danced with Pan's People, Ruby Flipper and Legs & Co for six and a half years between June 1974 and December 1981.
    alcockell wrote: »
    Skipped for now..

(52) THE HEADBOYS – The Shape Of Things To Come

Another group with a relatively high profile also made their TOTP debut in the seventies with a song called 'The Shape Of Things To Come'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoj0vu9TBU

The Motown "beeps" in the third and final verse sound "borrowed" from 'You Keep Me Hangin' On' by the Supremes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the schedules from old Radio Times on the BBC Genome project, Top of the Pops moved round the schedules on different weeks between 7.00 and 8.00 depending on other programming.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

With the prevalence of PVR's with series link, it's now even less necessary for programming on any channel to slavishly start on the hour/half hour.

Why can't the BBC for instance be more flexible with BBC World News on BBC4 on a Thursday or any day for that matter, running it from 7pm to 7.10-7.30 as required?

This would have the added benefit of saving money on production/studio time for BBC News/BBC4.

It's not like there is no other avenue for accessing BBC News, and I thought the whole point of BBC4 was to promote the arts and culture..

This week, since finding out about it, I've had a good look through that BBC Genome of all the old TV and radio schedules which is fascinating. Like you say, the shows used to begin at all kinds of times past the hour and before it, including TOTP on BBC1 which I noticed beginning not just at 7.30pm but 7.20pm, 7.25pm, 7.35pm, 7.40pm. 7.45pm, 7.50pm and 7.55pm, so just about every increment in the hour possible. This was in a period when they had a fixed 9 O'clock news bulletin too, something that BBC4 does not have. Maybe they pick BBC schedulers who suffer from OCD and like everything just neat and tidy rather than slightly irregular. We should not be talking about any editing, but scheduling in truth. I remember commenting on this subject some time ago on this thread.
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurasian Ruth Pearson danced on TOTP with Pan's People between May 1968 and April 1976, i.e. one month shy of eight years.

Sue Menhenick danced with Pan's People, Ruby Flipper and Legs & Co for six and a half years between June 1974 and December 1981.

BIB - should be seven and a half years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Cats UK again. I'd totally forgotten this group until this week and I do remember Luton Airport being a cash in on the Lorraine Chase adverts.
    However, The Dooleys, absolutely no one was brave enough at school to admit to liking them, yet some people must have bought their records. They were like a later New Seekers, a middle of the road group that did a meek attempt at contemporary trends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a form of airbrushing history, which, as I understand it, people don't especially like the idea of.
    Maybe a little dramatic?
    And if the choice was edit or don't show, there's no competition in my mind. Edit and be damned, better some than none. At least then it's not all being airbrushed.
    In fact it could make an interesting subject for later media studies - 'Censorship - How the BBC has reacted according to public sensibilities'
    We all have the right to an opinion, my opinion is no less valid than anyone else's <rest snipped for brevity>
    Bloody good post, that!!! :)
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ...However, The Dooleys, absolutely no one was brave enough at school to admit to liking them, yet some people must have bought their records. They were like a later New Seekers, a middle of the road group that did a meek attempt at contemporary trends.
    The Dooleys were more cheesy, like Brotherhood Of Man. The New Seekers were a much better act and more famous., They at least managed a no. 1 hit with - I'd like to teach the world to sing - which most people of a certain age will remember well.. How many people of that age today can recall any hits or songs by the Dooleys? Not too many, I suspect.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked The Dooleys song 'Love of My Life'

It's the only one I liked mind,
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't help that they called themselves "The Dooleys". That was just asking to be the butt of jokes. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    The Dooleys were more cheesy, like Brotherhood Of Man. The New Seekers were a much better act and more famous., They at least managed a no. 1 hit with - I'd like to teach the world to sing - which most people of a certain age will remember well.. How many people of that age today can recall any hits or songs by the Dooleys? Not too many, I suspect.

The New Seekers had two number one hits, I think The Dooleys biggest hit was Wanted, not bad, but they weren't the band you'd admit to your friends that you liked. My sister liked them when she was 8, and kept rabbiting on about the youngest sister playing the keyboards, but apart from Wanted and The Chosen Few, I can't remember much else by them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't help that they called themselves "The Dooleys". That was just asking to be the butt of jokes. :D

You're not kidding! :p

Without wanting to sound like I have regressed back to the very young age I was in 1979 but last year I started a game thread in the music section which required changing just one letter of a song title to alter it into something amusing. Well with Dooley's Wanted you can do it with both the group name and track.

Just replace the D and the T, with a G and a K. ;-)

That's me being 10 again for a brief moment.
    Forum Member

Who's going to kick the fantasy Dooley song title off?

My choice would be "Caught", which didn't feature anywhere on any album, including the snappily titled

"The Dooley Family Live in Moscow, Live Concert at Rossia Hall, October 29, 1975"

According to Discogs there are 11 Versions with multiple repressings. Order them quickly though folks, there's only 33 left from £0.01 each....

http://www.discogs.com/Доули-Фэмили-The-Dooley-Family-In-Moscow-Live-Concert-At-Rossia-Hall-October-29-1975/master/463437
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - Visual editing wouldn't take too long, no. But sound editing may take a while to sort out.

There would be no need for any sound edited, if you cut out everything from a performance/video finishing to the next one starting. Although not from an entire show I've made a disc in that way of some of the various TOTP performances I like. If I wanted to make it a bit more professional, I'd buffer each peformance with a still of the next perfomer taken from the chart run down, though that wouldn't be able to done with those annoying non-chart performers!

Anyway, enough of me playing fantasty TOTP editor!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seemed a bit more American this week, with the tail end of the disco scene, Dr Hook and the Americanised Fleetwood Mac ending the show with Tusk. Also while not performing, it seems traditional hard rock was having a good time with Status Quo and Rainbow in the Top Ten.
    1979 is an odd year for music in that you have the new trends and then deeply unfashionable acts for then like Dana, Elkie Brooks and The Dooleys appearing on TOTP and still having a following.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would be no need for any sound edited, if you cut out everything from a performance/video finishing to the next one starting. Although not from an entire show I've made a disc in that way of some of the various TOTP performances I like. If I wanted to make it a bit more professional, I'd buffer each peformance with a still of the next perfomer taken from the chart run down, though that wouldn't be able to done with those annoying non-chart performers!

Sounds good fun all that. A pity we are to be denied the one and only week that the wonderful Video Killed The Radio Star was at No1 next week. It's only had one brief promo clip play on TOTP. What a contrast to Rat Trap this point last year. If only we could edit in a different No1 song for the next 3 weeks instead! :(
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Just catching up with the unedited edition.

Nice to see Andy Peebles but he just doesn't feel right somehow. Can't quite put my finger on it.

The Dooleys- 'Chosen Few'...I really liked this. Maybe a wee bit cheesey. I watched the 7.30 version when visiting my mum and she shouted out "That's Paul Nicholas". Had to convince her otherwise. :D

Headboys- 'Shape of Things to Come'...Have to confess I didn't know this track. Sounded really good though.

Michael Jackson- 'Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough'...Classic Jackson disco and great Legs & Co performance.

Chic- 'My Forbidden Lover'...A little bit 'Chic by numbers' but a good track.

Dr. Hook- 'When You're In Love With a Beautiful Woman'...Great track. Funny story behind this. Back in 1979 the BBC released an album of Doctor Who's "Genesis of the Daleks". I was, and still am, a mad Doctor Who fan. My gran was going to buy me 'Genesis of the Daleks for my Christmas but the guy in John Menzies didn't have a clue and was trying to flog her the Dr. Hook album! I got my Doctor Who album in the end though.

Viola Wills- 'Gonna Get Along Without You Now'... I only really knew Viola from her hit in 1986 'Dare to Dream' but I did remember this. Good song. I think she died in the last few years.

Charlie Daniels- 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'... :o:o

Erroll Dunkley- 'O.K. Fred'... Reggae always makes me happy! :)

Cats UK- 'Luton Airport'...Totally confused. Didn't Lorraine Chase have a hit with this!! :confused:

Dave Edmunds- 'Queen Of Hearts'... Nice follow up to 'Girls Talk'

Dana- 'Can't Get Over Getting Over You'... Lovely song but a bit of an oddity. It didn't even make the top 75. Dana could have been on TOTP's every week and I'd have been happy! :D

The Police- 'Message in a Bottle'...A good No.1. It's a shame we won't get The Buggles 1 week at No.1 next week.

Fleetwood Mac- 'Tusk'...Maybe not one of my fave Fleetwood Mac tracks but pretty good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi again Highlander Ian! Glad you're still a fellow Briton and not a soon to be foreigner. :p Nice resume above and it goes without saying I agree with most of it, did my own one Thursday night if you caught it.

I love the Dr.Who / Dr.Hook story, that is amusing. There could be a new tribute band called Dr.Whook, now that has a great sound about it eh.

I've seen trailers on Freeview for the old Dr.Who's re-showing from the start of November with the Tom Baker and John Pertwee doctors featured, my two favourite by far and often the Pertwee ones terrified me, and some of the early Tom Baker ones. When the theme began at the end it was always particularly blood curdling to me in that era. The Drama channel are going to be showing part 1 of the Tom Baker one called The Aztecs next Sunday, 2nd November at 4pm I've discovered. :)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totp 2 had their little animation between the songs over the years.

Must admit, now I've got the DVD recorder with the hard drive, I can edit out most presenter links irrespective of the presenter, but my editing is still as good/bad as Totp 2 minus the graphics & chopping the songs.

It's difficult making a clean edit with the presenter waffling over the first few seconds of the song, the pull out at the end of the song still going on ending on the presenter & the playing with the early Quantel & the like.

Must admit I do symphaise with the TOTP 2 editors, trying to make sure no past graphics/presenters end up on screen by accident!