Options

Changing name by Deed poll - doctor as witness

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I'm going through a process of changing my name by Deed poll. I've got the certificates back but I need an independent witness. I don't know many people so the only person who can really do it is my GP. The documents have to be signed in his presence so the only thing I can think of is to make an appointment to see him just to do that. But is that the 'right' way to go about it? Also I'd feel a bit guilty booking an appointment with him for something not remotely medical! :blush:

Any advice and/or similar experiences, please? :)

Comments

• Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will probably have to pay a fee for the GP to be your witness. Ask the receptionist how much and how you should go about it. If you try to slip in during surgery hours I imagine they will get cross.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think your deed poll document has to be witnessed by the same sort of professional as a passport application. I just had a friend witness mine and there were no problems at all.

ETA as long as the person is over 18, knows you and is independent of you, it can be anyone.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/OtherFAQs.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think your deed poll document has to be witnessed by the same sort of professional as a passport application. I just had a friend witness mine and there were no problems at all.

ETA as long as the person is over 18, knows you and is independent of you, it can be anyone.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/OtherFAQs.html

Thank you :) but I'm already very much aware of the rules. It has to be my doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    Thank you :) but I'm already very much aware of the rules. It has to be my doctor.

Just trying to help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just trying to help.

I know you were, that's why I said thank you. :)
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member

Why does it have to be your Doctor? It certainly doesn't say that in the link.

By the way, some doctors now refuse to sign passport application forms and similar, so your GP might not even be willing to sign it. You will need to ask the receptionist what the doctors policy is and, if he is willing to sign your form, how much he is going to charge you. If he is willing to sign it this work certainly won't be done during his consulting time. Whatever you do, don't make an appointment to see him and then produce a form for him to sign. If you do then I think you'll be out of his surgery pretty quickly.

The link says that anyone who knows you can sign the form if they're over 18 years old. Why don't you just ask someone you know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be your Doctor? It certainly doesn't say that in the link.

By the way, some doctors now refuse to sign passport application forms and similar, so your GP might not even be willing to sign it. You will need to ask the receptionist what the doctors policy is and, if he is willing to sign your form, how much he is going to charge you. If he is willing to sign it this work certainly won't be done during his consulting time. Whatever you do, don't make an appointment to see him and then produce a form for him to sign. If you do then I think you'll be out of his surgery pretty quickly.

The link says that anyone who knows you can sign the form if they're over 18 years old. Why don't you just ask someone you know?

Let's just say the reason I'm changing my name is for 'sensitive' reasons. It's not something I'd want to tell a friend at this stage. I know that might not make much sense but there you have it. So it has to be someone 'official', I did ask the Job Centre last week but regrettably they refused.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Let's just say the reason I'm changing my name is for 'sensitive' reasons. It's not something I'd want to tell a friend at this stage. I know that might not make much sense but there you have it. So it has to be someone 'official', I did ask the Job Centre last week but regrettably they refused.

Right, OK then, I sort of understand.

You will need to speak to your doctor's receptionist and seek her advice.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm going through a process of changing my name by Deed poll. I've got the certificates back but I need an independent witness. I don't know many people so the only person who can really do it is my GP. The documents have to be signed in his presence so the only thing I can think of is to make an appointment to see him just to do that. But is that the 'right' way to go about it? Also I'd feel a bit guilty booking an appointment with him for something not remotely medical! :blush:

Any advice and/or similar experiences, please? :)
    Is there a reason why you are going the deed poll route and not stat' dec'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you are going the deed poll route and not stat' dec'?

You've lost me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've lost me.
    Most people who wish to change their name/s use the term Deed Poll.

While a Deed Poll does exist, it's not necessary to change your name legally.

A properly worded Stat' Dec' will suffice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

Blimey, that looks complicated! :D Anyway, I've already paid for and received the Deed poll docs. All I need is a witness to sign and I'm sorted!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, that looks complicated! :D Anyway, I've already paid for and received the Deed poll docs. All I need is a witness to sign and I'm sorted!
    How much has that cost you if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I did mine it cost £35. That was in 2006 though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I did mine it cost £35. That was in 2006 though.

Something very siimilar, yeah. I asked for three legal copies as well and altogether it was about £50.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something very siimilar, yeah. I asked for three legal copies as well and altogether it was about £50.
    That's sounds about right, but at that price it is not a change of name by deed poll, IMO sounds more like stat' dec' pricing.

Was it an on line company you down loaded docs' from?

If so are you absolutely sure that price includes 3 x extra copies?

And what, if anything, will a doctor's time cost you.

What I'm driving at is you can do a name change simply with out the need of a witness--as such and possibly cheaper if your above pricing is wrong.

I assume you understand the legal requirements required of you on documents such as passport/driving licence/DWP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's sounds about right, but at that price it is not a change of name by deed poll, IMO sounds more like stat' dec' pricing.

Was it an on line company you down loaded docs' from?

If so are you absolutely sure that price includes 3 x extra copies?

And what, if anything, will a doctor's time cost you.

What I'm driving at is you can do a name change simply with out the need of a witness--as such and possibly cheaper if your above pricing is wrong.

I assume you understand the legal requirements required of you on documents such as passport/driving licence/DWP?

I do. :) No, I applied online and these documents were sent out to me via the official Deed poll service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do. :) No, I applied online and these documents were sent out to me via the official Deed poll service.
    OK, can you provide a link to the service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, can you provide a link to the service?

Sure, it's this one. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, it's this one. :)

That's the same one I used years ago. All legitimate and above board. I used the document to change all my official things (passport, driving licence) without a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the same one I used years ago. All legitimate and above board. I used the document to change all my official things (passport, driving licence) without a problem.

Yes, it's a bit of a headache informing all those different people. But, needs must! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a bit of a headache informing all those different people. But, needs must! :D

I found that not everyone insisted on seeing the deed poll, the official things did, and my bank account. Barclaycard were happy to take my word for it though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that not everyone insisted on seeing the deed poll, the official things did, and my bank account. Barclaycard were happy to take my word for it though!

Well that's good to know! Would be very monotonous if they ALL wanted the official docs. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's good to know! Would be very monotonous if they ALL wanted the official docs. :D

Some will change it over the phone when you call to ask about it.

I found changing my name (and title) very empowering. I hope you find it a positive experience too :)
This discussion has been closed.