Options

Strictly: Ballroom Battle

Comments

• Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nathan Sykes and Joanne Clifton Dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha

Nathan In Training: I know people will think that just because I was in a boyband, I’ll be good, but it isn’t like that at all! Ballroom and Latin dancing is a whole new thing for me. Joanne expects a lot, so I just hope that I’ll live up to her expectations! *laughs*

Music: ‘All About Tonight’ (Pixie Lott)

Len: Well, I thought that a great start! Fantastic posture, rhythm and footwork. Sometimes it got a bit stiff in the upper body but overall, yer came ‘at and made a hit!

Scores

Craig – 6
    Darcey – 6
    Len – 7
    Bruno – 6
    Total – 25

Claudia: Well wasn’t that a great opener! Congratulations on your scores, how nerve-racking is it doing the first dance of the whole series?
    Nathan: It’s horrible! I’m so happy they liked it.

Following that, it’s Dawn French and Aljaz Skorjanec...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dawn French and Aljaz Skorjanec Dancing the Foxtrot

Dawn In Training: Strictly? I’m actually doing Strictly? I wonder what the vicar of dibley would’ve thought of my dancing? We’re dancing the Foxtrot, and Aljaz, bless him, is very patient, even though I’m pretty rubbish. I don’t know how bad I’ll be, but I’ll aim for at least four points.

Music: ‘Anything Goes’ (Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett)

Craig: Well, I don’t much good to say at all, I’m afraid, awful posture, you really need to extend your arms, darling, the footwork was messy and untidy, and I thought there should be a lot more in hold, Aljaz.

Scores

Craig – 2
    Darcey – 4
    Len – 5
    Bruno – 5
    Total – 16

Claudia: Ouch. Craig really was horrible. What will you to him if he’s mean next week, Dawn?
    Dawn: Oh, Craig will never be mean to me again. If he is then he’ll have my temper to answer to.

Trying to do better than that are Birdy and Pasha Kovalev...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birdy and Pasha Kovalev Dancing the Waltz

Birdy In Training: Oh gosh, this is so hard! When you see it on the telly, it looks so easy but it really isn’t! Pasha seems to think I’m ok, but I’m not so sure. I’ve been spending my spare time reading dance books to find out all about the different techniques, and hopefully it’ll pay off in the show!

Music: ‘I’m Not the Only One’ (Sam Smith)

Bruno: Birdy, Birdy, Birdy, it was like a small little delicate flower, beautiful and fragile. Seriously, it was simply divine.

Scores

Craig – 7
    Darcey – 8
    Len – 8
    Bruno – 8
    Total – 31

Claudia: Wow! Goodness me, that was amazing. How do you feel after that?
    Birdy: Just amazing, I’m so happy with how it went.

Looking to rise to Birdy’s lofty heights is Claire Skinner and Tristan MacManus...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claire Skinner and Tristan MacManus Dancing the Jive

Claire In Training: Tristan is the best partner I could have, he’s always very supportive, and we get on well. But bloody hell, the jive’s hard! So much energy in a minute and a half. Hugh, who played my husband Pete in Outnumbered, is in the audience, so that’s even more pressure!

Music: ‘Waterloo’ (ABBA)

Darcey: The jive requires a consistent amount of energy thought the dance, and I feel that you started with a good amount of energy, but halfway through the routine, you did stumble, and then you just lost it. In the first part of the routine, there was a bit too much energy, yah? Just control it and keep it at the right level.

Scores

Craig – 4
    Darcey – 5
    Len – 5
    Bruno – 5
    Total – 19

Claudia: Well done, Claire! You did, however, stumble a bit. Tell us, what happened?
    Claire: I put quite a lot of energy, and it was all a bit much. Never mind though, I’ll come back next week, show those judges what for.

Next, it’s Emma Atkins and Brendan Cole...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Atkins and Brendan Cole Dancing the Waltz

Emma In Training: The show on Wednesday is going to be in a way exciting, but in another way absolutely terrifying! Judging on my dancing, Craig will be having a field day! Hopefully he doesn’t pick our nits and hopefully we won’t get on his t*ts!

Music: ‘Rainbow Connection’ (Jim Henson)

Bruno: Emma, it was good, you know, your posture is fantastic. You have great fluidity, your lines, your lines, they’re amazing. The only thing is that you have to be careful that when out of hold you don’t lose timing. But excepting that, great performance.

Scores

Craig – 6
    Darcey – 7
    Len – 6
    Bruno – 7
    Total – 26

Claudia: Thank you, Emma! That was beautiful. Now, Bruno said you need to work on your timing, what will you do about this next week?
    Emma: Next week I’ll just take all the criticism and work on it.

On next, it’s Annie Mac and Trent Whiddon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annie Mac and Trent Whiddon Dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha

Annie in Training: Yeah, Woohoo! I’m doing Strictly! My main aim in this show is to do a lot better than my fellow Radio One employee Scott Mills, who had a... interesting run on the show. Yeah, I think Scott will be voting for me this series. But hopefully, he won’t need to and our Cha-Cha-Cha will stun the judges!

Music: ‘Break The Rules’ (Charli XCX)

Len: Annie, that was a very difficult routine for yer first week. Lots ‘a content, and it’s hard to master. But, you did! And I think you’re giving Scott Mills a run for his money. Fantastic!

Scores

Craig – 5
    Darcey – 7
    Len – 7
    Bruno – 6
    Total – 25

Claudia: Great work, Annie! Now obviously you did so much better than Scott, do you think you can keep that up?
    Annie: Oh, yes. For the whole time I’m in it, I’m sure.

Trying to impress the judges and you next, it’s Guy Henry and Janette Manrara...
  • Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dawn. :(

Pretty sure Birdy is a dirty ringer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guy Henry and Janette Manrara Dancing the Jive

Guy In Training: The hardest thing about doing Strictly is by far...the dancing part of it. Everything else is pretty easy. The jive...I don’t think it’ll be my best dance. I know I should remember things being an actor, but it’s really hard remembering all the steps. Hopefully I will on Show night...

Music: ‘Candyman’ (Christina Aguilera)

Darcey: Well, Guy...you certainly entertained me! I really enjoyed watching you. The jive is a very hard first dance, and for me, your kicks and flicks could’ve been done with a little more energy, and you need to sort out the stiffness in your back. But, you entertained me, and the jive is a very hard dance.

Scores

Craig – 3
    Darcey – 5
    Len – 5
    Bruno – 5
    Total – 18

Claudia: Oh, those judges are on mean form tonight! As Darcey said, the jive is very hard for a first dance.
    Guy: Yeah, it is, so I’ll just try and get better next week.

Following that, it’s Jamie Foreman and Karen Hauer...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamie Foreman and Karen Hauer Dancing the Foxtrot

Jamie In Training: I’m mostly known as the bad guy from EastEnders who sh*gged Kat, but I want to prove I’m not really like that! The Foxtrot wouldn’t be my first choice of dance, it’s so hard, although Karen says it’s not even close to the hardest. Goodness me!

Music: ‘New York’ (Paloma Faith)

Len: Well, you know, it wasn’t particularly great. The worst thing about the routine however, was that there was an illegal lift in there! A small one, and off a chair, but the rules of the foxtrot state that at least one foot has to stay on the floor at all times, and that didn’t happen. Otherwise, Jamie, you have to improve your posture, and stay on time.

Scores

Craig – 3
    Darcey – 5
    Len – 4
    Bruno – 5
    Total – 17

Claudia: Good job, Jamie. Now I just want to say to Len – who cares about the rules?
    Jamie: I know, it’s just a bit of fun. Bloody killjoy.

Trying to do better is Jon Culshaw and Aliona Vilani...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Culshaw and Aliona Vilani Dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha

Jon In Training: Well, I’m known mainly for my impressions, and I’m going to have great fun doing some of Craig. Daa-lings, that was a dahnce disasta! I hope he doesn’t say that to me! Aliona and me are dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha; it’s a pretty sexy dance, which isn’t really my forte. We’ll see.

Music: ‘I Need Your Love’ (Calvin Harris featuring Ellie Goulding)

Bruno: Jon, you know, it wasn’t that bad! You had good rhythm, good posture! What you do need to sort out is your footwork, that was very messy, and also you have banana hands! Not too bad, though!

Scores

Craig – 4
    Darcey – 6
    Len – 6
    Bruno – 5
    Total – 21

Claudia: Hello, Jon! Solid scores there, now Craig, however, wasn’t very nice, can you do an impression?
    Jon: Oh, maybe later!

Next to attempt dancing is Richard Osman and Ola Jordan...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Osman and Ola Jordan Dancing the Foxtrot

Richard In Training: Us dancing on show night is a frankly terrifying thought, and I’m dreading it to be honest. My family and Alexander, my mate from Pointless are coming to see me and I’m what I think I’ll be, rubbish, he will never shut up about it. I beg you, future self, dance well!

Music: ‘Just The Way You Are’ (Bruno Mars)

Craig: You were really very stiff, there was no storytelling at all, and to sum it up I was bored to death.

Scores

Craig – 3
    Darcey – 5
    Len – 6
    Bruno – 5
    Total – 19

Claudia: I actually think this is the meanest Craig’s ever been in a Strictly show.
    Richard: I don’t care what Craig says. The only criticism I will take on board is constructive criticism, and that wasn’t constructive.

Our eleventh couple of the evening is Gemma Arterton and Kevin Clifton...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gemma Arterton and Kevin Clifton Dancing the Jive

Gemma In Training: When I joined the show, I knew straight away the dance I didn’t want to do was the jive. And they’ve only gone and given it to us in the first show! At least it’ll get it out of the way. To be honest, it’s quite fun. I do hope the judges see the fun side of our performance, or else...

Music: ‘Hit the Road Jack’ (Ray Charles)

Darcey: On the storytelling side of things, very strong Gemma, but the only thing is that you need to loosen up a bit, it was quite stiff throughout, but I expect that you will go far, so well done.

Scores

Craig – 6
    Darcey – 6
    Len – 6
    Bruno – 6
    Total – 24

Claudia: And that is the first time our judges have agreed all evening! Well done Gemma, what do you think?
    Gemma: I’m happy with that, and I’ll try and loosen up next week.

Up next, it’s Kirsty Allsopp and Anton Du Beke...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirsty Allsopp and Anton Du Beke Dancing the Waltz

Kirsty In Training: I’m pretty scared for show night, dancing has never been a big thing in my life, I’ve never really tried it, but when they asked me to do the show, I thought for a while, then I realised that yes, I’d like to learn a new thing. Although to be honest, I’m not doing very well. Maybe I’ll shine on show night. Fingers crossed!

Music: ‘Moonriver’ (Audrey Hepburn)

Len: Kirsty Allsopp, you’re gonna be Kirsty Allstar if you continue to dance this way! Fantastic routine, Anton, beautiful rise and fall, that was one of the best routines of the night!

Scores

Craig – 6
    Darcey – 7
    Len – 7
    Bruno – 7
    Total – 27

Claudia: Kirsty that was so beautiful! Oh, you’re welling up.
    Kirsty: I am! Oh, I’m so happy!

Our penultimate couple of the evening is Andy Day and Natalie Lowe...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Day and Natalie Lowe Dancing the Cha-Cha-Cha

Andy In Training: I absolutely love being on Strictly, but it’s so tiring, working in the Cbeebies studio every day and then coming to dance in the evening. Some days we have to train until the early hours. Despite this, I’m so excited for show night and I just hope I can do Natalie proud.

Music: ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’ (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell)

Craig: Well, it was certainly an ambitious routine, but it looked a bit too hard for you, and also it was very rough, but your technique is passable and I liked the storytelling in that routine, so well done.

Scores

Craig – 5
    Darcey – 7
    Len – 6
    Bruno – 6
    Total – 24

Claudia: So, Andy, generally positive feedback there, are you happy with how it went?
    Andy: Oh, so happy, I’ve had a ball of a time and I’m just looking forward to getting back in the training room.

Our final couple of the night is Alan Carr and Kristina Rihanoff...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Carr and Kristina Rihanoff Dancing the Waltz

Alan In Training: Oh, Strictly’s so sparkly, ain’t it? This Kristina is lovely, she’s definitely the best I could have. I’m not so fond of the waltz though. I want to do fast Latin! Anyway, I suppose I have to do this one first, and I’ll try and do it well. Bring on show night!

Music: ‘(Everything I Do) I Do It for You’ (Bryan Adams)

Craig: Good storytelling, but your posture really isn’t great, also you need to extend your arms more, and improve your footwork. But you gave it a go.

Scores

Craig – 4
    Darcey – 5
    Len – 6
    Bruno – 5
    Total – 20

Claudia: Very well done to you Alan, how is it having to watch everyone perform before you?
    Alan: Oh I didn’t like it all. I wouldn’t like to go first either.

Now all our couples have performed, let’s take a look at the Leaderboard...
  • Options
    ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    I'm adding Jamie to my favourites :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaderboard
    1st – Birdy and Pasha – 31
    2nd – Kirsty and Anton – 27
    3rd – Emma and Brendan – 26
    4th – Nathan and Joanne – 25
    =4th – Annie and Trent – 25
    6th – Gemma and Kevin – 24
    =6th – Andy and Natalie – 24
    8th – Jon and Aliona – 21
    9th – Alan and Kristina – 20
    10th – Claire and Tristan – 19
    =10th – Richard and Ola – 19
    12th – Guy and Janette – 18
    13th – Jamie and Karen – 17
    14th – Dawn and Aljaz – 16

But as there’s no elimination this week and therefore no vote, these scores will be combined with the next show’s. Be sure to catch the next round, which is next Friday. at 20.00.

Until next time...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    winter99 wrote: »
    Dawn. :(

Pretty sure Birdy is a dirty ringer!

We'll see. ;-)
    I'm adding Jamie to my favourites :D

I enjoy writing up Jamie. :) Thanks for your comments, guys, I'm so glad people are reading and following the game. :)
  • Options
    IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm half dreading/half anticipating Jamie's Latin attempts. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    I'm half dreading/half anticipating Jamie's Latin attempts. :D

All I know is that I'm going to really enjoy writing them up. He has the Charleston for Round Two. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know what, stuff the frickin' Series Schedule, Round Two will be on Friday at 8.00pm!
  • Options
    IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    All I know is that I'm going to really enjoy writing them up. He has the Charleston for Round Two. :D

Of all the Latin dances for him, that might be one of the more suitable - he definitely had the exaggerated facial expressions down on EastEnders. :o

The rest might not quite match be up to standard though! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    Of all the Latin dances for him, that might be one of the more suitable - he definitely had the exaggerated facial expressions down on EastEnders. :o

The rest might not quite match be up to standard though! :p

Probably not, lol. I'm not a regular viewer of EastEnders but when I saw the 2012 Christmas Special I think his Rumba will be a treat. ;-)
  • Options
    ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    dennisboy wrote: »
    Probably not, lol. I'm not a regular viewer of EastEnders but when I saw the 2012 Christmas Special I think his Rumba will be a treat. ;-)

Dancing the Rumba to "My Heart Will Go On"... ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing the Rumba to "My Heart Will Go On"... ;-)

Maybe in Week 3. ;-) If he's still there.