Options

Three Like Home: New roaming plan (Three UK)

Comments

• Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Feel At Home allows someone to use there Data Plan wherever they in one of those places allows them to call UK and receive UK Calls. Calls in the country they in are charged at usual price of international calls.

Not exactly as Data is only benefit of using Feel at Home in America obvious solution would be to get a UK friend to set up a 30 day rolling contract get unlimited data and after 3 months cancel it then make a new one. You would just use the Feel at Home sim in a dual sim phone in America.

So as I thought, I will soon be able to use my data allowance across the whole of Europe without any roaming fees?
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    So as I thought, I will soon be able to use my data allowance across the whole of Europe without any roaming fees?

If you consider 2016 soon yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you consider 2016 soon yes.

I thought Europe would be added in 2014 for Three customers.
    Also Europe plan/more countries being worked on for 2014
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Europe would be added in 2014 for Three customers.

Yes further places in Europe are going to be added for Three Customers you asked about the Whole of Europe I thought you were on about EU Plans.
  • Options
    steven_good2steven_good2 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Any rumours about the new country's added to Like Home? Or when we are likely to hear anything??
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Just thought i'd throw in my personal experience.

Was abroad for a week in a feel at home country, calls and texts worked great and data was surprisingly quick for browsing and downloading. Streaming seemed to be getting throttled though as HD video was unplayable (with buffering every 5 seconds) despite getting fast enough speeds. SD video was more manageable and buffered much much less.

Overall I was impressed, especially at how fast I was able to download files. I shocked myself when I checked the usage stats, over 100 minutes, 12 texts and 17.5GB of data used in 1 week on feel at home.

Yes... 17.5GB of data.... On any other network that would have cost a fortune.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Just thought i'd throw in my personal experience.

Was abroad for a week in a feel at home country, calls and texts worked great and data was surprisingly quick for browsing and downloading. Streaming seemed to be getting throttled though as HD video was unplayable (with buffering every 5 seconds) despite getting fast enough speeds. SD video was more manageable and buffered much much less.

Overall I was impressed, especially at how fast I was able to download files. I shocked myself when I checked the usage stats, over 100 minutes, 12 texts and 17.5GB of data used in 1 week on feel at home.

Yes... 17.5GB of data.... On any other network that would have cost a fortune.

Hope that wasn't a holiday!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Hope that wasn't a holiday!

Haha, it was a bit of both holiday and work :)

Most of the 17GB was downloading certain files that I needed and were over 1GB in size + downloading youtube videos in the evening.

Oh and for those asking above about feel at home expansion. Three's PR team can answer that one-
    We expect to see more countries added to the proposition and we’ll potentially have to be more creative to find solutions to overseas usage costs.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/28861/three_ceo_2014_focus_on_people_and_growing_brand.aspx
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was abroad for a week in a feel at home country

Keeping it secret for a reason!?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I am a bit confused by this 'feel at home' plan.

Perhaps someone can help?

Going to the USA.

The Three page is at http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Going_abroad_Pay_As_You_Go/Destination_Details?content_aid=1214306357859

Do I have to roam on T-Mobile or A T & T and not anyone else?

The page says that voice calls to the UK cost 20p per minute - I thought they would be free if included in your plan or is it just outside of the plan?

Also if someone from the US were to make a call to my mobile by dialling +44xxxx surely that would not cost me anything, yet the page suggests it would be 99p per minute?

I have never used the service and do not wish to run up a big bill by roaming on the wrong network etc.

Thanks
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    canvey wrote: »
    I am a bit confused by this 'feel at home' plan.

Perhaps someone can help?

Going to the USA.

The Three page is at http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Going_abroad_Pay_As_You_Go/Destination_Details?content_aid=1214306357859

Do I have to roam on T-Mobile or A T & T and not anyone else?

The page says that voice calls to the UK cost 20p per minute - I thought they would be free if included in your plan or is it just outside of the plan?

Also if someone from the US were to make a call to my mobile by dialling +44xxxx surely that would not cost me anything, yet the page suggests it would be 99p per minute?

I have never used the service and do not wish to run up a big bill by roaming on the wrong network etc.

Thanks

First of all, you can only roam on those networks that provide Feel At Home, so no need to worry.

Secondly, nothing will cost you anything as long as you use your plan as you do at home: UK calls, SMS to *UK* numbers and data within your plan. 3-3 calls as per your plan.

Anything else will be charged accordingly.
  • Options
    lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am back home in Italy right now, taking advantage of Three's Feel at Home... all's good :D.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok.. Can anyone answer this for me, phone contract up at the end of the month, and I want to change to the 12 month sim only one plan, will this include feel at home??
    I'm off for a road trip in the states in June and plan on using my phone for Skype and listening to some google play tunes plus maybe a bit of YouTube..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Ok.. Can anyone answer this for me, phone contract up at the end of the month, and I want to change to the 12 month sim only one plan, will this include feel at home??
    I'm off for a road trip in the states in June and plan on using my phone for Skype and listening to some google play tunes plus maybe a bit of YouTube..

All plans, even PAYG, include Feel At Home.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news :)
    Thanks...
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culabula wrote: »
    All plans, even PAYG, include Feel At Home.

The good thing about PAYG is it enables someone to get a SIM and take advantage straight away, subject to putting some credit on and buying, say, the £15 AYCE add-on.

If you got a contract tomorrow, you'd need to wait 60 days before being allowed to activate roaming. And even though Feel At Home is free, you can't use it without roaming being enabled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    If you got a contract tomorrow, you'd need to wait 60 days before being allowed to activate roaming. And even though Feel At Home is free, you can't use it without roaming being enabled.

30 days now.

And this is far from confirmed but some people have posted on here that Three CS have activated feel at home on a contract sim in under 30 days if you call them and explain why you're going away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    The good thing about PAYG is it enables someone to get a SIM and take advantage straight away, subject to putting some credit on and buying, say, the £15 AYCE add-on.

Re PAYG -agreed.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just come back from the USA and made full use of Feel At Home although I only used about 4 gb of data which was mostly on maps, uploading photos and email. Streaming was pretty much non existent on either T-Mobile or AT&T. One thing I did notice though, is that the data seems to route back to the UK first kind of like when using a VPN. An easy way to tell this is to connect to a wifi network and go on the BBC website where you'll see lots of adverts. Use the mobile connection instead of wifi and it takes you to the UK version of the site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 days now.

And this is far from confirmed but some people have posted on here that Three CS have activated feel at home on a contract sim in under 30 days if you call them and explain why you're going away.

I can confirm that under varying circumstances they have done it on request -though it's never quite clear what circumstances help.

Last month they did it for my second account when I paid the first bill in advance over the phone. Roaming was activated 10 minutes later.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time I used Feel At Home in Sweden, Netflix didn't work at all. Well it loaded up on my phone and let me select a film (to clarify, you can use your Netflix account in other countries, but only view what is available in that country) but then just sat with a spinning circle and never streamed even a single second of video.

I still managed to consume quite a bit of data though. Data that would have landed me a bill in the hundreds, possibly even thousands, of pounds otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they deliberately making it so you can't stream then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they deliberately making it so you can't stream then?

Probably just low priority. Could be latency too, since all traffic will get routed via the UK.
  • Options
    reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably just low priority. Could be latency too, since all traffic will get routed via the UK.

I found in the US, everything would work really quickly apart from anything to do with streaming. Even Spotify would have trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would LTE Roaming fix this problem ? Know we are certainly getting to around the time when LTE Roaming becomes the norm not the exception.