LBC's ads becoming more frequent and annoying

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
Forum Member
LBC's ads seem to be getting progressively more annoying lately.

They seem to be more frequent and they tend to broadcast lots of those cheaply made and loud in-yer-face ones instead of the better produced ones which are much more pleasant and easier on the ear.

My current pet hate is the galliard homes one, which is so pushy and loud with that irritating, booming self-important voice. You can hear it several times an hour at times too, especially during peak listening hours.

It bugs me so much that I usually turn the radio off when it comes on and may well forget to turn it back on again, so LBC is losing a listener for a while. I wonder how many other people end up switching LBC off over this?

The other thing I don't like are the constant cliff-hangers on the breakfast show and sometimes others. I listen to be informed, relaxed and entertained, not constantly kept on tenterhooks in a cheap bid to keep listeners hooked. I do turn off the radio over this sometimes and then keep it off.

Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    You'll probably get a better response on the LBC thread.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Global stations do generally seem very laden with adverts. Smooth is really bad for cluttered lengthy ad breaks
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All ad's on all commercial stations are too frequent and annoying.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to start a fire by plugging lots of heaters and hair dryers in to an extension panel because the woman with the whining voice on LBC said it was easy. All that happened was that the fuse in the plug blew. What am I doing wrong?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to start a fire by plugging lots of heaters and hair dryers in to an extension panel because the woman with the whining voice on LBC said it was easy. All that happened was that the fuse in the plug blew. What am I doing wrong?

Try adding some straighteners :D
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't noticed an increase in frequency, it's always been every 15 minutes. I have noticed at certain times the breaks get longer which is a bit annoying. As for the style of the ads they have been like that for years, I remember Galliard doing those style ads back in the days of Sandi Toksvig for instance.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,892
    Forum Member

That's funny!

I do like the re-working of Margate, and The Chairman usually makes me chuckle.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me the breaks do seem longer than on other stations.
  • wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just switch to an alternative and return when the ad break is over .. if i really want to continue to listen.
  • Ian_ScottIan_Scott Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I am fed up with Galliard bloody Homes on LBC. I would never buy from them.

On Heart in Surrey, I recently counted nine commercials/sponsor tags in a break up to the news.

Glad that I am not an advertiser on Heart, as nobody is going to remember many of the nine.

Poor programming, but hey, must be good for the profit line.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me tell you about an accident I had.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me tell you about an accident I had.....

It wasn't nice, it was quite bad.......

The adverts and breaks are the main reason I rarely listen to LBC anymore. >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Thanks people, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

Is anyone else also irked by the cliffhangers?
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,892
    Forum Member
    qubit wrote: »
    Thanks people, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

Is anyone else also irked by the cliffhangers?

I don't mind cliffhangers for the particular hour I am listening to, but find it frustrating hearing them for stuff later in the show when I'll be at work.
  • Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use Rarma Radio software to cache the station and ad skip. Each 60 minutes of LBC is 34 minutes for me - just the content. Reclaim your life!

Ads have always been dire. Who remembers "Barratts. Barratts. Come to Barratts. Barratts Liquor Mart. Yeaaahhhhhhhh!" on the Bob and Doug brekkie show in the late 70s/early80s.
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have recently abandoned TalkSport for the same reason, particularly their horrendous jingles....and now listen to LBC, usually somewhere late at night. I have noticed the ads but they are not as bad as TalkSport so I am happy for now!
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Well, we now have the LBC bank holiday schedule launched upon us.

I must admit after a week or two's respite from the relentless airplay, I have noticed one or two of the the old chestnuts are back.

"The number 24 bus. That was my commute for the last 4 months."

"It's not hard to overload an electrical socket."

Enought already LBC!

An hour's listening this morning to an excellent debate on rail privatisation was enough to keep me grinning and bearing it but after that I just had to switch off.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You lads need to stress out,so why don't you forget your LBC blues and gripes and relax by listening to ........

Craig Ogden - Summer Guitar

Summer Guitar is the new album from no.1 classical guitarist Craig Ogden. Essential for your summer listening.

:):):):)
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Global radio and their adveritisers must really think their listeners are morons. I mean no one who has an ounce of intelligence and a bit of nous would feel the inclination to buy anything that these pathetic adverts try to sell you. The Citroen Picasso and the British Gas boiler ones are the 2 most frequent and annoying ones for me on LBC.
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Global radio and their adveritisers must really think their listeners are morons. I mean no one who has an ounce of intelligence and a bit of nous would feel the inclination to buy anything that these pathetic adverts try to sell you. The Citroen Picasso and the British Gas boiler ones are the 2 most frequent and annoying ones for me on LBC.
    Yes, many of them are really irritating.

The old style we buy any car ads with that electronic voice were especially obnoxious. That confused.com one, again with an electronic voice, which is doing the rounds now is also irritating enough for me to switch off.

Oh well, I guess they got us to remember them and "spread the word" on here lol, not that I would ever buy from either of them.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You lads need to stress out,so why don't you forget your LBC blues and gripes and relax by listening to ........

Summer Guitar is the new album from no.1 classical guitarist Craig Ogden. Essential for your summer listening.

Like it.:):):)
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member

Lol! Very good Harry.
  • Pablo79Pablo79 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Galliard Homes' ads are really quite shouty. Haven't heard an Aldermartin Baines & Cuthbert ad on LBC for a while? They seemed to pop up every 10 minutes or so about a year ago.
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, those ABC ads have been on recently. At least they're not all that bad compared to some of the others.
  • frappyfrappy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Changing the subject slightly - what about the annoying emphasis on the word "IN" after the travel news update. Trying to make a point?