Radio Sports Commentators and Reporters 2013/14 (non-football)

Comments

• Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Scarlets v Gloucester (LV= Cup RU) - Rick O'Shea (host from ground) with commentary from him, Paul Williams (Rugby World) and Dafydd James (All frequuencies)
  • thelastwordthelastword Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    BBC TMS- Australia vs England the 4th ODI

Commentators: Alison Mitchell, Charles Dagnall and Tim Lane

Summarisers: Micky Arthur, Terry Alderman and Brad Hogg

I might be misremembering this, but during the opening few days of the Australian Open I think he was covering that for 5LSX?

He did both, the 2nd and 3rd womens ODI were at the MCG so he was able to commentate on the tennis and cricket.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio - Tennis - Australian Open 2014

Commentators - Russell Fuller, David Law, Alistair Bruce-Ball, Alison Mitchell, Kelli Underwood and Kheredine Idessane.

Summarisers - Jeremy Bates, Pat Cash, David Felgate, Dominic Inglot, Goran Ivanisevic, Patrick Mouratoglou, Judy Murray, Courtney Nguyen Leon Smith and Mark Woodforde *

Finals

Li v Cibulkova (Sports Extra)- Russell Fuller, Patrick Mouratoglou & David Law

Nasal v Wawrinka (5 Live)- Russell Fuller, Pat Cash & David Law. Kelli Underwood reporting from the grounds.

* These are the ones I heard, may well have been more.
    Forum Member
    BBC TMS- Australia vs England The ODIs

Commentators: Alison Mitchell (1, 3-5), Charles Dagnall (2-5), Alastair Bruce-Ball (1&2), Tim Lane (1, 4&5) and Jim Maxwell (2&3)

Summarisers: Dirk Nannes (1-3, 5), Damien Fleming (1, 3, 5), John Embrury (1-3), Brad Hogg (4&5), Micky Arthur (4), Terry Alderman (4), Isa Guha (2) and Dean Jones (2)

Eclectic mix of summarisers used, I personally enjoyed Fleming and Jones, who I had never heard on TMS before but hope to again, and thought John Embrury to be slightly boring (similar to when they used Steve James on the India ODIs).

Alison Mitchell presented all the games except the 2nd, when she did not commentate as she was at the Australian Open, which was presented by Charles Dagnall. I really enjoyed hearing her as always and hope very much she gets a chance at one of the tests this summer.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jacqui Oatley commentating experiment on football, as brave as it was (& not her fault), was unsuccessful. She's much better at reporting/presenting.

But Alison Mitchell is an excellent commentator - always enjoy listening to her.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT

Friday 3rd to Monday 5th January

Cricket: Fifth Ashes Test Match
    Australia v England - Jack Bannister

Friday 3rd January

Rugby Union: Premiership
    Northampton Saints v Harlequins - Simon Ward

Saturday 11th January

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 4
    Harlequins v Clermont Auvergne - Russell Hargreaves

Sunday 12th to Sunday 26th January

Cricket: One-Day International Series
    Australia v England - Jack Bannister (all five games)

Monday 13th to Sunday 26th January

Tennis: Australian Open
    Melbourne Park - Dave Luddy*

Friday 17th January

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 1
    Northampton Saints v Castres - Simon Ward

Saturday 18th January

Rugby Union: Heineken Cup Pool 3
    Saracens v Connacht - Nick Heath

Saturday 25th January

Rugby Union: LV= Cup Pool Stage
    Harlequins v Leicester Tigers - Russell Hargreaves

Wednesday 29th January to Sunday 2nd February

Cricket: Twenty20 International Series
    Australia v England - Jack Bannister (all three matches)**

*talkSPORT's coverage of Australian Open was interesting. They called upon Dave Luddy throughout the tournament (he was at Melbourne Park primarily for the agency bearing his name) but took his syndicated updates infrequently rather than in a regular hourly timeslot as they do with updates from snooker and darts tournaments provided by DLI Radio Sport. For instance I don't think they carried any updates on the women's final, but they called upon him regularly during Andy Murray's matches and the men's final. During overnight show Extra Time, Dave provided them with bespoke previews to each day's play.

**The final T20 international is yet to take place, but I think we'd all be stunned if anyone other than Jack Bannister was reporting on it for talkSPORT.

Although talkSPORT didn't take live updates from the competition as they have done in previous years, Extra Time did carry round-ups of each day's play from golf's Qatar Masters with Nigel Bidmead - a regular newsreader and co-host on that show - reporting from the Doha Golf Club between Wednesday 22nd and Saturday 25th January. In recent years European Tour Radio have produced online and RSL commentaries on this tournament with Nigel and Rupert Bell, but this year they didn't provide such a service with Nigel alone reporting from Doha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol / Somerset

Dan Albutt (studio host)

Leicester Tigers v Bath (LV= Cup RU) - Ian Randall and Nick Blofeld (94.9FM / 95.5FM / 104.6FM / 1548MW / DAB / Online*)

* Or to put it simply, only 1566MW (Somerset) gets the networked Mark Forrest english regions show.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RBS Six Nations - Talking Rugby

In a shock... :p;-)

Wales v Italy
    - Hamish Stuart
    France v England - Simon Ward
    Ireland v Scotland - David Brady

Stuart Cameron once again will be at Murrayfield for the two Scottish home games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 2nd February - Absolute Radio and Absolute Radio 90s

The Super Bowl on Absolute Radio with Will Gavin and Dan Louw

American Football: Super Bowl XLVIII
    Seattle Seahawks v Denver Broncos - Darren Fletcher and Rocky Boiman (11.30pm GMT commentary)

Despite what was said to the contrary during their live coverage of Championship Sunday, Will and Dan were called upon as Absolute's studio presentation team for the Super Bowl after all. If this was a U-turn on Absolute's part, then it was a sensible one given the potential for them losing the line to MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. I'm not sure if any guests joined Darren and Rocky in the commentary box, but according to the listing on the Absolute Radio website Vernon Kay and actor Harry Shearer were due to join them during their build-up from 10pm. The game was simulcast across both Absolute Radio and the regular home of their NFL coverage in Absolute Radio 90s. I caught a bit of the end of their coverage, which ended just after 3am before the trophy presentation. Will namechecked everyone involved in their Super Bowl broadcast at the end of their coverage, which included Phil Spooner and Rob Jones producing from MetLife Stadium. Well done to all involved in Absolute's NFL coverage during 2013/14.

Elsewhere on UK national radio, it was the first time BBC Radio 5 Live hadn't provided live commentary on the Super Bowl for more than ten years. Instead they broadcast the Stephen Nolan show and Up All Night with Dotun Adebayo as usual, with sports newsreader Andy Barwell updating the score during his bulletins and "NFL guru" Greg Brady providing a full-time report during the latter programme. talkSPORT had newsreader Lisa O'Sullivan providing regular off-tube updates on the Super Bowl during overnight show Extra Time with Russell Hargreaves and James Gibson from midnight. They also discussed the match with their US correspondent John Kreger.
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if any guests joined Darren and Rocky in the commentary box, but according to the listing on the Absolute Radio website Vernon Kay and actor Harry Shearer were due to join them during their build-up from 10pm.

The first half hour came from the studio and had interviews with Harry Shearer and Matt Stafford. Gavin then said Louw was leaving and handed over to Fletcher and Boiman at 10:30pm. Gavin then returned at half time and full time, including giving a recap of the first half whilst waiting for the half time show to begin oddly using the NFL on Fox theme as a bed.

Alistair Kirkwood joined Fletcher and Boiman for the third quarter, noting that the Denver MVP was the cheerleaders, because they were still enthusiastically dancing despite the team's performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio - Tennis - Davis Cup

USA v Great Britain

Commentary on all 4 matches from Russell Fuller, Philip Studd and Jeff Tarango.

All 4 matches were on Sports Extra with 5 Live simulcasting the majority of Sundays singles match.

BBC Radio - Rugby Union - Six Nations

Sat - Sports Extra - Wales v Italy - Iain Carter, Rob Jones & Gareth Lewis
    Sat - 5 Live - France v England - Alastair Eykyn, Ben Kay & Ian Robertson

Sun - Sports Extra - Ireland v Scotland - Conor McNamara & Denis Hickie (Andy Gillies for 5 Live)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Rick O'Shea (hosting) with Adrian Hadley (at their Llandaf(f) HQ)

Ireland U20 v Wales U20 - Rick O'Shea (at ground) (updates)
    Ulster v Ospreys (RaboDirect Pro12 RU) - Nick Webb and Willie Anderson (All frequencies commentary)
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live Sports Extra's rugby league coverage has changed. Matches are being interrupted by pre-recorded interviews with players who are on the pitch. They wouldn't dare do that during a Premier League match or the rugby union tomorrow. I've had to switch to Radio Leeds.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC RADIO LEICESTER

PREMIERSHIP RUGBY
    Worcester v Leicester Tigers - Charles Dagnall presenting from Sixways, with Martin Ballard and George Chuter (19.45 commentary)
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    5 Live Sports Extra's rugby league coverage has changed. Matches are being interrupted by pre-recorded interviews with players who are on the pitch. They wouldn't dare do that during a Premier League match or the rugby union tomorrow. I've had to switch to Radio Leeds.

I'm not a particular fan of Rugby League, but thought I'd give the game last night a listen. Agree that interrupting the commentary for pre-recorded segments is dreadful. I'm all for trying new things with sports broadcasting, but it needs to be well thought out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 16th February - ESPN Radio

Marc Kestecher presented The NBA on ESPN Radio from the Smoothie King Center, New Orleans, Louisiana alongside P.J. Carlesimo

Basketball: 63rd NBA All-Star Game
    Eastern Conference @ Western Conference - Kevin Calabro and Jon Barry (commentary), with Marc Stein and Shelley Smith at courtside

The same team was used in their same roles for ESPN Radio's coverage of Friday's Rising Stars Challenge and the All-Star Saturday Night activities over the course of NBA All-Star weekend.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    ABC Radio Grandstand Test Cricket
    Second Test: South Africa v Australia (Port Elizabeth) Jim Maxwell, Gerald Du Coq, Neil Manthorp: Peter Kirsten and barry Richards (commentary)
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    ABC Radio Grandstand Test Cricket
    Second Test: South Africa v Australia (Port Elizabeth) Jim Maxwell, Gerald Du Coq, Neil Manthorp: Peter Kirsten and barry Richards (commentary)

Jarrod Kimber is there too. Gerald de Kock is an odd one, he works for Supersport, but they seem to never use him on the cricket yet he ends up doing commentary for overseas radio broadcasts (he worked for TMS on the last tour). Seems a bit of a waste not to use him on Supersport's part, he has TV commentary experience and he is at the ground and employed by them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol

Bristol v Plymouth Albion (RFU Championship) - Andy Champion and James Merriman (1548MW / DAB / Online)
  • Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunday 23rd February 2014 - BBC Radio Devon (1500-1700)

Alan Richardson Presented Devon Sport from the Plymouth Studio

Aviva Premiership

Saracens v Exeter Chiefs - Nigel Walrond & John Lockyer - All frequencies and Online (1515)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT

Saturday 1st February

Rugby Union: Six Nations
    Wales v Italy - Hamish Stuart
    France v England - Andrew McKenna

Sunday 2nd February

Ireland v Scotland - David Brady

Cricket: Third Twenty20 International
    Australia v England - Jack Bannister

Friday 7th February

Worcester Warriors v Leicester Tigers - Russell Hargreaves

Friday 7th to Sunday 23rd February

Winter Olympics: Sochi 2014
    Games Updates - Toby Gilles, Pete Abbott, Ben Fletcher, Lisa O'Sullivan, Lynsey Hooper and Elliot Cook*

Saturday 8th February

Ireland v Wales - David Brady
    Scotland v England - Simon Ward

Sunday 9th February

France v Italy - Simon Ward

Friday 14th February

Rugby League: Super League
    Hull FC v Catalan Dragons - Mark Wilson

Friday 21st February

Wales v France - Hamish Stuart

Rugby League: Super League
    Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves - Mark Wilson

Saturday 22nd February

Italy v Scotland - Tom Macleod
    England v Ireland - Mike Bovill

Friday 28th February

Cricket: First One-Day International
    West Indies v England - Jack Bannister

Bath v Saracens - Simon Ward

*talkSPORT's coverage of the Winter Olympics consisted of hourly studio-based bulletins, usually airing at some point between 40 and 50 minutes past each hour, by a dedicated reporter separate from the on-duty news and sports newsreading team. Lisa O'Sullivan in the morning (5am-1pm) and Lynsey Hooper in the afternoon and early evening (1-8pm) were responsible for these Games Updates during most weekdays of Sochi 2014, with the four other reporters mostly called upon at weekends and towards the end of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't listen, but apparently it was as thus:-

BBC Bristol / Somerset

Dan Albutt (studio host)

Bath v Saracens (Aviva Premiership RU) - Andrew Sheridan and Carl Fearns (95.5FM / 104.6FM / 1548MW / DAB / Online)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

England U20 v Wales U20 (RBS Six Nations) - Rick O'Shea (studio host) with Paul Williams and Garin Jenkins. Commentary from Nick Webb and John Devereux (All frequencies & Online)
    England v Wales (Women's Six Nations) - Dafydd Pritchard
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few bits and pieces from 5 Live

Chris Mitchell, Eleanor Oldroyd and Will Perry reported on the Winter Olympics

Alistair Bruce-Ball reported on the World Track Cycling Championships. I don't think he was there though.

Josh Chetwynd has tweeted that there are no plans for regular season MLB commentaries this year but there are plans to be onsite for the World Series. Seems strange to me but I'm sure there's some logic there.

As last year the Indian Wells tennis tournament is providing a full radio service using BBC commentators. This year Russell Fuller, Nick Lester, Philip Studd and Gigi Salmon are there with various summarisers. Sports Extra will be taking a lot of the coverage this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    Josh Chetwynd has tweeted that there are no plans for regular season MLB commentaries this year but there are plans to be onsite for the World Series. Seems strange to me but I'm sure there's some logic there.

Very disappointing news (the bit I've emboldened rather than the bit about them planning to cover the World Series on-site), thanks for posting about it along with the rest of the information you have provided. Josh has also tweeted that USP Content and Radio 5 Live are "discussing ways for some coverage during the regular season" so it will be interesting to see if they can work something out.

I think if BBC Radio Sport needs to make cutbacks then something that is not UK-based and of minority interest like their Major League Baseball coverage will always be an obvious target to cut back on. As a regular listener over the past four years, I've come to accept that 5 Live Baseball will always (almost always rightly so) take a back seat to coverage of other sports, with it being off-air for weeks on end when Radio 5 Live Sports Extra is needed for things like Olympic Games and Wimbledon. In many ways I think fans of NFL radio coverage in the UK were fortunate that a commercial broadcaster in Absolute Radio 90s arrived with the intention to give the NFL a similar level of weekly coverage as 5LSE did at the time they did, you cannot blame the BBC for stepping aside given the circumstances, but when this happened things did not look good for the future of 5 Live Baseball. In the current climate I suppose I should be grateful that the BBC have at least committed to covering the World Series this year.

Given that Josh mentions the regular season in his tweets, I'm hoping that they are not just planning to cover the World Series in 2014 but also the earlier rounds of the MLB Playoffs, which have received really extensive coverage on 5LSE during the past two years. But I'd hope they can come to some kind of arrangement to continue 5 Live Baseball in the months prior to October too, even if it doesn't take a weekly Thursday/Sunday evening slot during the weeks when 5LSE is free. And if you gave me the choice between having on-site World Series commentaries and little else or relays of US radio commentaries on the Fall Classic with studio presentation, but with considerably more coverage of MLB games prior to the World Series, I personally would opt for the latter.