BBC local radio- could it become better than TV?

zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
Forum Member
Have you ever been in that situation where it is a cold, gloomy bank holiday, weekend or weekday, there is nothing decent on television and you have nothing to do? I have and that's why on these days I tune in to bbc local radio (in my area, it's bbc radio norfolk) it gives good company, music, news and fairly good programming. For these reasons I think that bbc local radio can, in years to come, take over television completely! What do you think?

Comments

• sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio in general there is usually something to listen too at least on the BBC but local radio on the BBC I prefer at the weekend.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    Radio in general there is usually something to listen too at least on the BBC but local radio on the BBC I prefer at the weekend.

Agreed. Here I like Justin Deeley's Saturday music show and Tony Blackburn's Sunday soul shows on BBC 3CR & BBC London.

In the week, I really can't listen to people like Ian Lee, Jonathan Vernon Smith & Roberto Perroni. I find them all quite irritating and boring to listen to.

I do think BBC 3CR's area is too large though and has no natural centre. The 3CR area is covered by 3 different local regional TV news programmes, so again, any banter about what the Look East's weather girl will be wearing will be lost on quite a few potential listeners!!
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I mainly listen at weekends too, although I do listen later at night.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not when it goes to Five Live though some times cannot get to sleep and like to put the radio on but that just makes you want to go back to sleep.
    If it does not though then I find only LBC is good at 2AM.
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Agreed. Here I like Justin Deeley's Saturday music show and Tony Blackburn's Sunday soul shows on BBC 3CR & BBC London.

!
    I remember Tony doing a soul show on Radio London back in the 80's. I have not listened for a few months but I forgot Robert Elms on BBC London. His weekday show is always listenable & plays some good music even if he sounds a bit ott at times but sadly since Danny Baker has gone I don't listen as much.

BBC Surrey on Sundays goes back in times to the 50's, 60's & so. Whilst nothing wrong with that, I prefere to listen to country music, soul or something I generally would not listen during the week.