Does online dating actually work?

2»

Comments

• Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    From what I have heard any women that joins up to certain sites is immediately bombarded with lurid and graphic 'last turkey in the shop' pics from sad bastards.

And they say romance is dead.

Back in the day (when the Internet was just getting going), my friend and I both tried it.

She found her now soon to be ex husband on there.

I found someone who was later investigated in connection with the unexplained death of his girlfriend (the one after me!). :o
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I am currently playing around with online dating. First of all it's not dating in any sense of the word. If you happen to find a profile you like and send off some messages and actually get a reply then it's nothing more than emailing a stranger.Having said that, all couples are strangers at the start. I know 2 or 3 people who got married to a person they met online and 1 of my friends is going out with someone now he met on match.

I have met 1 person in real life and to be honest it was a great night, I think we will meet again, but we have exchanged numbers and spoken a bit, but she's gone a bit quiet recently, so perhaps it's not to be.

I met an old colleague online who I hadn't seen in 10 years, I asked her out in real life back then and she already had a partner so said no. Now we run into one another online and we have a date in a few days.

I think a lot of women think men use these sites for one night stands, so it's quite hard to get a reply to messages, but when it does eventually happen, in my experience anyway, it works out alright.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think online dating can work, but it is more looks-based than dating in the real world.

I have been on a couple of websites and I must admit I feel sorry for some of the men who contact me telling me that they have had no luck whatsoever. Face to face you get to show your personality, but on online dating websites, very few people will click on a profile that they do not find physically attractive so some people have an even worse experience than they would have in real life.

But hey, it's ok if you're beautiful!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have heard any women that joins up to certain sites is immediately bombarded with lurid and graphic 'last turkey in the shop' pics from sad bastards.

And they say romance is dead.

Friends of mine who have tried online dating all say the same thing. Within a week of chatting to a man online, he will send a picture of his c*ck. Why do men not get that this isn't what most women see as romance?

Everyone i know who has done online dating has met someone who wasn't single but claimed to be. One friend had 3 men on the spin who were all married but told her they was single and has given up on men for the time being because of it.

The other story I hear a lot is that you can build a connection to someone online but find, the minute you meet for the first time, the chemistry just isn't there. Thats why there is a lot to be said for the old fashioned way of meeting someone and fancying them at first glance.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Friends of mine who have tried online dating all say the same thing. Within a week of chatting to a man online, he will send a picture of his c*ck. Why do men not get that this isn't what most women see as romance?

Everyone i know who has done online dating has met someone who wasn't single but claimed to be. One friend had 3 men on the spin who were all married but told her they was single and has given up on men for the time being because of it.

The other story I hear a lot is that you can build a connection to someone online but find, the minute you meet for the first time, the chemistry just isn't there. Thats why there is a lot to be said for the old fashioned way of meeting someone and fancying them at first glance.

Now you see I have never had any of these things happen to me. But the dating websites I've been on don't allow you to send pics so that explains that one! And Match have tightened up on the content of what is sent - now members come up as 'Inappropriate Profile' if they have been sending creepy stuff. It really does mean that people have to behave themselves!
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WBs Sailed wrote: »
    Because I just cant seem to get further than my neighbours.:confused:

It works for me. Keep asking for more "face pic".
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Back in the day (when the Internet was just getting going), my friend and I both tried it.

She found her now soon to be ex husband on there.

I found someone who was later investigated in connection with the unexplained death of his girlfriend (the one after me!). :o

Bloody hell Safi! :o:o:o
  • Lil MunchkinLil Munchkin Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried it in the past, and it's been OK, yes you get the odd weirdo who thinks you want to see his nether regions, if they had any idea how ridiculous their nethers look I think they'd realise that they are no great sight to see. If you sort the wheat from the chaff which isn't hard to do, you do get some really nice genuine people who are sincere.

It's like anything, dating sites are going to attract certain individuals, there are free ones that work great, and the paid ones, my friend used a paid one and said you just get a better class of insult. :D
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Within a week of chatting to a man online, he will send a picture of his c*ck. Why do men not get that this isn't what most women see as romance?

Some of them don't even wait until they get into private messaging! I've seen a few profile photos containing blurry penises and erect ones under a duvet!