Options

If you are gay/lesbian does that mean your parents must have been!

2»

Comments

• Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think it is in your DNA, but I do think that some people way be more OR less likely to 'Live a lie' either way based on how people see their parents being treated.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog is definitely gay. My last dog was too. Both have/had a crush on the same dog (next door but we share a bit of garden so my dog harasses the other one - the other one is definitely straight as she has always rebuffed my gay dogs' advances).

This suggests it might be nurture, not nature, OP, as I have brought up two gay dogs.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    There's no proof of the 'gay gene' yet is there?
    No, there isn't. I'm not entirely convinced there is such a thing as straight, or gay/lesbian either. I suspect everyone is ever so slightly bisexual (or just sexual) though some people are more likely to act on various urges.
    CBFreak wrote: »
    I'm Asexual. Do I even exist? Am I a figment of my own Imagination? Was I brought by the Stork? My existence is unreal.
    I never did understand this label. No sexual urges at all? Not even minuet ones? No urge for fun time?
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Surely they must have had some of the dna anyway. My mum loved susan hayward movies so maybe she was a bit that way, not sure!
    Not sure if they really loved each other or just stuck together for my sake.:(

OMG what a stupid idea. I know plenty of people with gay children who DEFFINITELY aren't gay. Did you go to school?
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    There's no proof of the 'gay gene' yet is there?

Not yet. But when I find mine I'll let you know. Some people think The Human Genome Project should have found evidence of such a gene, but that wasn't its mandate and at no time was the project actually looking for one. It simply wasn't in the remit.

That doesn't mean that the so-called "gay gene" doesn't exist, it just means that nobody has yet committed the financial, intellectual or scientific resources necessary to find the li'l critter. It simply isn't on the agenda of anybody with the wherewithal to achieve it at this time, at least to the best of my knowledge. There may be a homosexual Watson and Crick beavering away somewhere, getting closer and closer to their Eureka moment.

No, being gay doesn't mean your parents are too, but that doesn't mean at least one of them didn't carry the gene. It may be a highly recessive gene which can lurk, being trumped by a dominant heterosexual gene, for generations before surfacing in an offspring further down the line.

I'm sure the gay gene does exist. At age 13 I would not have chosen to be gay. Having said that, now I am an adult and have come to very happy and comfortable terms with my sexuality, I would not choose to be straight, even if it were possible. Which it isn't.

I hope this gene is found in my lifetime because it would end all the arguments and completely destroy the position of the churches that discriminate against us, telling us that our homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.

I may not be afforded that luxury in my lifetime, but I am confident that one day it will be found. I'll settle for that.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    No, there isn't. I'm not entirely convinced there is such a thing as straight, or gay/lesbian either. I suspect everyone is ever so slightly bisexual (or just sexual) though some people are more likely to act on various urges.

I tend to subscribe to this point of view as well. Although my results on the Kinsey Scale make me laugh:
    The test failed to match you to a Kinsey Type profile. Either you answered some questions wrong, or you are a very unusual person.