"American Dad!" to move to TBS

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Has it worked? Has TBS become a basic comedy network rival for Comedy Central? No, not yet.

Conan hasn’t deliverer the ratings TBS promised (although it’s been successful enough for continual renewals), and I agree some original programming hasn’t been too successful. But there’s been some success, The Big Bang Theory reruns perform very well and Men at Work and Sullivan and Sons have got second seasons. But it’s good to see some real commitment by Turner to make TBS what they want it to be, and if they continue to work hard maybe they will achieve it.

I think TBS has got a long way to go if it wants to be a rival network to Comedy Central. Conan delivers fairly average ratings, and viewers favor more to The Daily Show and Chelsea Lately for cable late-night shows. Cougar Town has delivered great ratings for the TBS first-run, but some critics are complaining that TBBT reruns before and after CT rates higher, thereby lowering TBS nightly average. Their original comedy series efforts are commendable, but needs more work. Wedding Band got screwed over by airing on Saturdays (where Nickelodeon shows would out-rate them) and Are We There Yet? got exiled to daytime programming after their 10-90 model backfired. The problem is that there are no TBS shows yet making an impact to landmark the channel like The Walking Dead and Mad Men for AMC. So for now, they will still be regarded as a channel with many off-net syndicated shows, which makes TBS more $$$$$$.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Futurama failed the first time because Fox player around with it in the schedules. Dunno why it failed this time.

So if TBS didn't buy AD would it have been axed?

PJ

That is presumably the implication. We can assume the reason the deal has been announced early is because it takes longer to produce animated shows.

So perhaps production was about to be/had already been wrapped up, and TBS came through at the last minute leaving them over a a year to write, voice and animate new episodes. David Arquette (or it may have been Bill Lawrence) said that the Cougar Town deal had been done by ABC Studios before he knew about it.

It does put a question mark over MacFarlane's relationship with Fox, if AD! has gone to TBS. Although, I got the impression MacFarlane wasn't heavily involved, and that been given the credits in an attempt to better the show's chances of being picked up.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fox definitely wanted it, but it got postponed because MacFarlane was too busy. Though with Cleveland likely cancelled he may have found time (although he's an exec on Dads, has 1001 Ways to Die In The West coming out, and possibly Ted 2 if Universal get their way)

Fox can afford to be wait, Warner Bros is doing The Flintstones DTVs in the meanwhile. Given how long its take to produce animation, I don't expect it until 2015 at the earliest.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Fox can afford to be wait, Warner Bros is doing The Flintstones DTVs in the meanwhile. Given how long its take to produce animation, I don't expect it until 2015 at the earliest.

Can McFarlane make a more family-friendly product?

I saw "The Life of Larry", and the surprising thing was
    how kid-oriented it seemed-apart from a joke about
    dogs being neutered there was nothing in TLOL that
    most parents would have a problem with kids viewing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can McFarlane make a more family-friendly product?

I saw "The Life of Larry", and the surprising thing was
    how kid-oriented it seemed-apart from a joke about
    dogs being neutered there was nothing in TLOL that
    most parents would have a problem with kids viewing.

I believe The Fiintstones is going to closer to what the original series was like just modernised, people forget it aired in prime time. There was a special ten years ago which was adult oriented called The Flintstones on the Rocks which was about Fred and Wilma seeking marriage counselling so it can be done,
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually prefer Adult-oriented animated shows. If you want a kid-friends animated show, then that is really what Disney and Nickelodeon do. I mean even The Simpsons isn't as kid friendly as it used to be, which i love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer Adult-oriented animated shows. If you want a kid-friends animated show, then that is really what Disney and Nickelodeon do. I mean even The Simpsons isn't as kid friendly as it used to be, which i love.

The Simpsons has never been kid friendly, a lot of the early seasons dealt with infidelity, marriage problems etc kids can watch it but its not the target audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

I actually think The Simpsons has become more kid friendly in the last few years. The smart adult humour of Season 1-10 has long since disappeared and been replaced by more juvenile humour (imo anyway), it's part of the reason why the show isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I actually think The Simpsons has become more kid friendly in the last few years. The smart adult humour of Season 1-10 has long since disappeared and been replaced by more juvenile humour (imo anyway), it's part of the reason why the show isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be.

I don't know. I always though of the Simpsons as a show
    anyone could watch, from kids to parents to students
    to grandparents. Stuff like Homer getting his internal
    organs exposed, Katy Perry making a joke about
    cunnilingus or Homer getting raped by a panda
    just feel wrong for the Simpsons (such dark material
    would be better on South Park or American Dad!).
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    In the Saturdays of Thunder episode there's a bit where a guy gets eaten by a shark. I love it that's the Simpsons at it's best.
    And speaking of grandparents, I had this elderly Uncle who didn't like the Simpsons and thought it was too rude. We convinced him , no no it's fine watch it you'll see! Next thing out of Bart's mouth "So.. where does this bastard live anyway?"
    Uncle: WHAT?
    Us: oh they never swear usually you misheard
    Bart: BASTARD BASTARD BASTARD .
    Uncle wasnt impressed...

I think the only thing wrong with the Simpsons is theyve done EVERYTHING