Options

General Discussion?

steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
Forum Member
There are 19 threads regarding the referendum on the 1st page of GD. Whilst I acknowledge that this is a historical event why not use the politics forum? Several of the threads are in both anyway.
Personally, I like GD to be just that, general & usually a bit lighthearted.

Just saying!

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they've all been moved now :)
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you got your wish!
  • Options
    jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh danm it's kinda annoying going backwards n forwards between different parts of the forum. The referendum is bigger than politics it is general discussion.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. While there is a huge political element to it there is also the personal and social impact. I'd have liked at least a few of them to remain here. :(
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the in-fighting you find in the politics forum puts people off but the threads moved were just as bad :blush:

Hob nob??
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay, we got this subforum back. I guess a lot of posters have never dipped into the Politics subforum before. It's not much fun there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I agree. While there is a huge political element to it there is also the personal and social impact. I'd have liked at least a few of them to remain here. :(
    Yes, I find it a little strange that the mods appear to listen to just one member sometimes.

If the mods wanted to rid these threads from GD, surely they would have done it anyway before today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the rare occasions I have ventured into the Politics forum It always seems to be the same few posters saying the same things over and over and over. A bit like religious threads on GD :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Yay, we got this subforum back. I guess a lot of posters have never dipped into the Politics subforum before. It's not much fun there.

I think "bear pit" wouldn't even come close to summing it up in politics :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah starpuss I agree with that lol And to be honest it kinda does your head in being involved in many sections. GD and bigbrother and chatter occasionally is enough for me. That maybe because i'm only a mere man though. :D

But I do like poliitics chat when it's popped up in GD. Even though as has been said I feel the referendum is more than just politics.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched a clip earlier on from the BBC about "The Town that Voted Leave" which was about Romford, which I'm near to and I go there quite a lot.

One of the market traders said "If we vote to remain, I'd like the IRA to come back and blow up the Channel Tunnel". And he meant it as well.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a clip earlier on from the BBC about "The Town that Voted Leave" which was about Romford, which I'm near to and I go there quite a lot.

One of the market traders said "If we vote to remain, I'd like the IRA to come back and blow up the Channel Tunnel". And he meant it as well.

whereas now, I think France will use the Channel Tunnel to store its wine lake in. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jp761 wrote: »
    Yeah starpuss I agree with that lol And to be honest it kinda does your head in being involved in many sections. GD and bigbrother and chatter occasionally is enough for me. That maybe because i'm only a mere man though. :D

But I do like poliitics chat when it's popped up in GD. Even though as has been said I feel the referendum is more than just politics.

I'm a bit scared of Politics to be honest (the forum). :o
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    whereas now, I think France will use the Channel Tunnel to store its wine lake in. :p

Really?! :o

*wonders about the feasibility of laying a pipeline from my house to the tunnel* ;-)
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The posts shouldn't have been moved, This is the biggest thing to have happened in UK politics in a generation and the politics forum is too heavy going for discussion by us gd-ers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    The posts shouldn't have been moved, This is the biggest thing to have happened in UK politics in a generation and the politics forum is too heavy going for discussion by us gd-ers.

I agree. I got reprimanded there for using a :o smillie once. Apparently it's hard to take a post seriously if you use them

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I agree. I got reprimanded there for using a :o smillie once. Apparently it's hard to take a post seriously if you use them

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    Really don't worry about that. No one on the net bothers me thinking logically what can they actually do. Remember every one of us are mighty and powerful keyboard warriors.

Hey you've added to many smilies now I can't add one. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really don't worry about that. No one on the net bothers me thinking logically what can they actually do. Remember every one of us are mighty and powerful keyboard warriors.

Hey you've added to many smilies now I can't add one. lol

Mwahahahahaha that was my plan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @starpuss :p:D:D;-):p:p;-)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh danm it's kinda annoying going backwards n forwards between different parts of the forum. The referendum is bigger than politics it is general discussion.

I agree, this isnt 'politics' as we normally know it.

Plus I cant find the threads that have been moved, they dont seem to be in politics, I cant find my posts
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's no doubt that this referendum thing has caused a lot of vitriol and unpleasantness here, but let's face it, it's nothing compared to "the charge on plastic bags" debacle
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    St Dabeoc wrote: »
    there's no doubt that this referendum thing has caused a lot of vitriol and unpleasantness here, but let's face it, it's nothing compared to "the charge on plastic bags" debacle

Why did you have to bring that up. I am now having to buy loads of bin bags and plastic bags to compensate for carrier bags. I am using the same amount of plastic, just from a different source.

In addition my handbag looks unsightly because its bulging with carrier bags in case of an impulsive stop at the supermarket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I agree, this isnt 'politics' as we normally know it.

Plus I cant find the threads that have been moved, they dont seem to be in politics, I cant find my posts
    I don't know. I'm pretty much done with referendum chat for now though. :D There will be so much more details and news to come on this soon enough. I might put in a request to the mods though, about this issue.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think I call it "General Delirium". There have been posts about stapling badges to people's chests and denying them the vote, all because they voted Leave, like it's not a Nazi thing to do. It's apparently enough to call urself some great bloke because you're not 'racist' but discriminate on others for casting their citizen's democratic vote instead. These tw*nts can be kicked off to Politics where I never visit, and good riddance.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    It's been a while since general discussion was light hearted!

I remember there used to be a group of drunkards that would just stay up late posting crap and flirting with each other. Found them pretty annoying at the time but now I sort of miss them a bit :blush:

I think this forum used to have more of what I'd call Lee Evans style observations, just silly (but still interesting) stuff you'd notice about other people. None of us start threads like that now because we get crucified by the humourless brigade when we do.
This discussion has been closed.