Anyone observing the 20mph limits

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
As more of these seem to be popping up or maybe I'm noticing them.

Can't say I've seen anyone observing these unless there's a speed camera about, then they might have a dither.
Waste of paint and time if you ask me, but I speed everywhere pretty much so I'm biased.
Possibly keeps the middle class professional letter writing and campaigning types happy as they've got their 20 mph limit.

Comments

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20/30 limits are probably the only ones I do stick to!
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you get caught then wum!
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Can't say I've seen anyone observing these unless there's a speed camera about, then they might have a dither.
    Waste of paint and time if you ask me, but I speed everywhere pretty much so I'm biased.
    Possibly keeps the middle class professional letter writing and campaigning types happy as they've got their 20 mph limit.

Sure you do.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Belfast I don't think it's made much difference as traffic is usually at a crawl anyway.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one here in Brighton does (assuming there's no traffic!) including the police, buses, local council vehicles etc.

In fact they went on record to say they would not be enforcing them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-33599456
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Missing post)
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh when the Mayor of Bristol was caught speeding after spearheading the 20mph speed limit campaign :D
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope nobody around here does especially the police. There are several 20 mph zones setup in stupid places where actually achieving 20 would be impressive! And a new one where they care so much about safety they put a zebra crossing on a junction straight in front of a roundabout and obscured by a corner which if you don't know it's there are on it before you know it. I'm honestly surprised nobody has been injured let alone killed yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was driving through Bath city centre a few weeks ago at 20mph - which is the limit - and passed by a cyclist, which did make me laugh. I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist done for speeding though - does it happen?
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    The council are turning the whole of Edinburgh (except main roads) into a 20mph zone, but the police have said they're not going to enforce it. Many roads have speed bumps anyway and most people's suspension is falling apart due to all the potholes in Edinburgh so you daren't go over them too fast.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I am on the bike, they are nothing but a nuisance, and do nothing to make the road safer - and probably make it worse.

I am probably cycling at 15mph, a car sticking to 20mph takes much more longer to pass me than someone doing 30. Personally, I would rather someone pass me quickly and be out of each others way, rather than someone who crawls past at 20 and takes all afternoon doing so.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I do.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I was driving through Bath city centre a few weeks ago at 20mph - which is the limit - and passed by a cyclist, which did make me laugh. I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist done for speeding though - does it happen?

No because with the exception of a few royal parks and sea front paths speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

Interestingly the issue of cyclists exceeding 20mph speed limits, limits that cycling groups fervently campaigned for, was addressed by Rod King who heads up '20's Plenty For Us' described cyclists who deliberately ignored such limits as "anti-social".

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/cyclists-exceeding-20mph-speed-limit-labelled-anti-social-38923/
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Is there always a speed camera where there's a speed camera sign? :confused:
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a number of 20mph zones in Belfast city centre and coincidentally there was a news report the other day claiming not one ticket was issued to motorists over past few months since its introduction for breaching the speed limit. Which isn't surprising considering it's usually gridlock at rush hour and you'd be doing mighty well to breach the 20 limit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    No because with the exception of a few royal parks and sea front paths speed limits don't apply to cyclists.

Interestingly the issue of cyclists exceeding 20mph speed limits, limits that cycling groups fervently campaigned for, was addressed by Rod King who heads up '20's Plenty For Us' described cyclists who deliberately ignored such limits as "anti-social".

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/cyclists-exceeding-20mph-speed-limit-labelled-anti-social-38923/

:confused: Speed limits apply to all road users.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no offence of speeding for a cyclist.
    There are (bye?)laws in royal parks that can lead to a fine for cyclists exceeding the limit.
    No, look in the highway code appendices and try and find the penalty for cyclists.
  • Lil MunchkinLil Munchkin Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do, they are there for a reason.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, anyway as there's no requirement to have a speedo on a push bike how would they even know if they are speeding?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The regs refer to a motor vehicle

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/part/VI
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aren't you the brave little soldier.
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and all the other limits. Mostly have a clear road ahead and cars following wanting to go faster (or oblivious and in la la land). Most people who genuinely stick to limits know this..
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    I hope you get caught then wum!

If I'm a wum then you'd best include a couple hundred thousand people I also see driving around London then, because I've only noticed one car sticking to the 20 limit.
    I couldn't work out why we were still doing 20 on a clear road, until I noticed the road markings.

There are $hit loads of other speeders in London, when I'm out and about in other parts of the country it's no different, so I don't know where you people do your driving.
    No shortage of people doing 40 plus in town, even more in the dead of night.
    Oh you'll like this, I got caught doing 45 (according to the copper), I say 40 the other night, got a breath test and that was the limit of my talking to, '45 in a 30 is a bit strong isn't it?' and sent on my way.
    I think it was the type of road, that got me 'off' unlit no pavement bordered by trees.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm a wum then you'd best include a couple hundred thousand people I also see driving around London then, because I've only noticed one car sticking to the 20 limit.
    I couldn't work out why we were still doing 20 on a clear road, until I noticed the road markings.

There are $hit loads of other speeders in London, when I'm out and about in other parts of the country it's no different, so I don't know where you people do your driving.
    No shortage of people doing 40 plus in town, even more in the dead of night.
    Oh you'll like this, I got caught doing 45 (according to the copper), I say 40 the other night, got a breath test and that was the limit of my talking to, '45 in a 30 is a bit strong isn't it?' and sent on my way.
    I think it was the type of road, that got me 'off' unlit no pavement bordered by trees.
    Glad you got done for speeding in a 30mph zone.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Sure you do.

Try your holier than thou act elsewhere, you know this isn't real life you don't have to curry favour with the people on DS.

Sorry, as far as my experience goes those who stick to the limits are the exception or cab drivers and they don't stick to 20's only 30's to save juice.