Options

How to identify which transmitter

essess Posts: 264
Forum Member
Can I tell from information on the TV which transmitter I'm receiving a channel from?
There's loads of codes, letters and numbers about signal on the Tuning menu. Do transmitters have identifier codes?

For example if my aerial is pointing at transmitter A but in-between there's a repeater transmitter B, can I know which transmitter I'm receiving from?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless all the transmitters you are receiving from are operating as a "single frequency network" - in other words each mux on each transmitter uses the exact same UHF frequency, then a very simple check is to see what UHF channels the TV is telling you it is receiving. Most transmitters operate on different frequencies for each mux so by comparing the list of received frequencies with a list of transmitted frequencies you can tell pretty accurately what transmitter you are on.

If you are capable of receiving more than one transmitter then very likely you will find duplicate channels up in the 800 number range as well.

There are ways and means of identifying transmitters but that would depend on your TV displaying the relevant information and there being a public list of all the relevant transmitter codes to compare against.

But the simple UHF channel number check will 99 times out of 100 tell you what you need to know anyway.

Just poke your postcode into the DigitalUK website, tick the Detailed View box and that will list the most likely transmitters for your location from which you can narrow down the actual transmitter.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/