Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Football League Tonight continues on its downward slide (and with a full programme of fixtures).

Trouble is it went against X Factor and Rugby for a while so that's why it slightly down I think.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor launches 2 million down on last year: "disaster, the show is on its last legs."
    Doctor Who launches 2 million down on last year: "well it's fine as it'll timeshift loads" (ignoring the fact that it has always done loads through timeshift and iPlayer and it isn't going to make up the difference).
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Apparently that is The X Factor's lowest Saturday number in a decade.

Incorrect. There was actually one that got slightly lower last year (7.29m). You'd have to go back to 2007 to find lower than that though.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything for the 10pm repeat on ch4 of Gogglebox last night ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    X Factor launches 2 million down on last year: "disaster, the show is on its last legs."
    Doctor Who launches 2 million down on last year: "well it's fine as it'll timeshift loads" (ignoring the fact that it has always done loads through timeshift and iPlayer and it isn't going to make up the difference).

Doctor Who was placed during the middle of X Factor and France V Italy game on ITV4 so it's no surprise that it lost 2m, it has plenty of time to recover and next week's programme could be a lead in thanks to Strictly being on before Doctor who next week, The one thing that really is going to stop DW getting improving ratings is the Prime-time rugby games on ITV next week.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocking poor for celebrity big brother, wouldn't look out of place with civilian viewing figures

I'm glad. Saturday was always a struggle, but 10:30pm is a pathetic time. Hopefully it never happens again.
  • Options
    StrangeStrange Posts: 14,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    I'm glad. Saturday was always a struggle, but 10:30pm is a pathetic time. Hopefully it never happens again.

I'm actually starting to think it will affect the January series...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually starting to think it will affect the January series...

What do you mean? That they will do it this late in January?

Don't think the ratings will affect January too much, before Friday, the week was logging in 1.6-1.8m which is similar to what last summer was doing, and look how the January that followed did.

Such a shame the average of this series will be brought down massively by Saturday and it's silly time.

Tonight should be back over 1.4m. But it's a tradition that weirdly enough, the last week always rates lower.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who was placed during the middle of X Factor and France V Italy game on ITV4 so it's no surprise that it lost 2m, it has plenty of time to recover and next week's programme could be a lead in thanks to Strictly being on before Doctor who next week, The one thing that really is going to stop DW getting improving ratings is the Prime-time rugby games on ITV next week.

England are playing next Saturday, very likely doctor who will be hit.
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That CBB rating :o 800k +1? Don't even think the civilian version ever hit that low did it? Awful and ridiculous timeslotting from Channel 5.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    What do you mean? That they will do it this late in January?

Don't think the ratings will affect January too much, before Friday, the week was logging in 1.6-1.8m which is similar to what last summer was doing, and look how the January that followed did.

Such a shame the average of this series will be brought down massively by Saturday and it's silly time.

Tonight should be back over 1.4m. But it's a tradition that weirdly enough, the last week always rates lower.

The January series will be fine, it has the advantage of nobody having money to go out after Christmas and the long dark and cold nights.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »
    That CBB rating :o 800k +1? Don't even think the civilian version ever hit that low did it? Awful and ridiculous timeslotting from Channel 5.

Two weeks ago CBB got similar numbers 866k but it had a hefty timeshift to 1.34m. So I imagine last night's will add big numbers too on catch up.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    That is poor for DW and there's no point people trying to pretend otherwise.

That's very true and the main reason is that it has become a very poor watch, full of irrelevant gimmicks and fantasy, I say that as a long time fan (1963 to be precise)
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad this C5 thing is not doing well. Serves them right for having the football HLs before CBB. It should be the other way round.

Because pitching the Football League highlights against Match of the Day would be a rip-roaring success! The question has to be asked why Channel 5 and the Football League thought airing the show in primetime would work at all. They would have been better off leaving it on BBC One after Match of the Day.

Doctor Who was always going to come back with a lower figure than last year; the hype wasn't there no matter what others say. I expected it to be around there.

I think ITV's stupidity bit them on the backside with The X Factor. They should have dumped the Saturday show from last night and aired France v Italy - though maybe the ITV4 figure will prove me wrong on that one!

In terms of a breakdown of the shows overnights, 2014/2015 including +1:
    Auditions 1: 9.49m (43.1%) / 7.65m (38.8%)
    Auditions 2: 8.19m (35.1%) / 6.47m
    Auditions 3: 8.91m (41.8%) / 7.52m (34.8%)
    Strictly clash of 30 minutes in 2015
    Auditions 4: 7.79m (31.4%) / 7.07m (31.4%)
    Strictly clash of 60 minutes in 2014)
    Auditions 5: 8.87m (42.3%) / 7.91m (38.3%)
    Auditions 6: 8.48m (35.8%) / 7.33m (32.6%)
    Auditions 7: 8.57m (40.3%) / 7.32m (33.8%)
    Auditions 8: 8.69m (36.8%)/-

I suppose ITV have to be relived considering where the show was after the first weekend. But will it hold on to the viewers with the Sunday only episodes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    England are playing next Saturday, very likely doctor who will be hit.

Yeah that's the one big problem, wonder if strictly will be hit as well? :confused:
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Football League Tonight
    (90 mins from 21:00 on Saturdays on C5, excluding +1 unless otherwise stated)

08/08 - 0.58m (3.4%)
    15/08 - 0.58m (3.3%)
    22/08 - 0.51m (2.9%)
    29/08 - 0.43m (2.3%)
    * Bank Holiday weekend
    05/09 - 0.28m (1.3%)
    * 60 mins, Leagues 1&2 only
    12/09 - 0.52m (2.7%)
    19/09 - 0.36m (1.9%) inc +1
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    davidnumen wrote: »
    The difference between X Factor and Doctor Who is that nobody involved in making Who things for a minute it'll be Number 1 in the ratings. As long as it performs solidly and contnues with the huge timeshift and iPlayer figures then it's future is assured

Whereas ITV and Cowell are obsessed with being number 1 hence the maybe press machine. This year has been the worst ever - are we seriously still judging whether people can sing by their appearance? It certainly seems to be the case here. But it's regularly getting hammered by a show about cakes. That's why the decline in ratings is important and more troublesome than Who

Thanks for stating what seems obvious to me, unfortunately it seems XF fans are wanting to have a go at DW rather than concentrate on XF failings. DW last year averaged around 7.3m while XF was more like 10m so obviously it was going to beat XF last night. :confused:

It looks like DW is going to be down this year and XF is already around 1m down so I dont think fans of either show have much to crow about. The fact that both are relatively safe should cheer both sides up a little though.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Incorrect. There was actually one that got slightly lower last year (7.29m). You'd have to go back to 2007 to find lower than that though.

XF has lost millions year on year from 2014, people keep making excuses for it, but we see the likes of Loius Walsh commenting on its downfall in ratings, yes he has a vested interest , if he was in or out the ratings would be the same, but some people seem to think with rose tinted glasses everything is fine when we all know , including XF SyCo team XF is on its last legs. I predict tonight will prove it.

DW everyone each year says its ratings are poor but with catch up it will be one of the top performing dramas this year. We are looking at apples and oranges here, a LE show that got 14/19 million a year or so back , and a niche Sci Fi drama that was stand alone last night without a SCD lead in, and people will view it on catch up. It's a drama a few dramas will get its consolidated figures.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The difference is Steven Moffat doesn't go around proclaiming Doctor Who is so much better this year and will sweep all before it, whilst sneering at the opposition. Simon Cowell made a rod for his own back and is now reaping his own... dubious... rewards.

It's also worth remembering that Doctor Who makes much more for the network in terms of international sales and merchandise; especially as it's an in house production. None of that can be said for The X Factor. If The X Factor timeshifts it's hardly a good thing for ITV - it means less people watch the adverts. If Doctor Who timeshifts then more the merrier.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Appalling for XF loss millions again.

DW was a brilliant starter to the new series flashbacks to the best DW story ever Genesis of the Daleks it will " time shift" very well.

Shame the "brilliant" dr who, didn't have brilliant ratings :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    The difference is Steven Moffat doesn't go around proclaiming Doctor Who is so much better this year and will sweep all before it, whilst sneering at the opposition. Simon Cowell made a rod for his own back and is now reaping his own... dubious... rewards.

It's also worth remembering that Doctor Who makes much more for the network in terms of international sales and merchandise; especially as it's an in house production. None of that can be said for The X Factor. If The X Factor timeshifts it's hardly a good thing for ITV - it means less people watch the adverts. If Doctor Who timeshifts then more the merrier.

Yes

To quote Simon Cowell

If it's us or Peter Andre my money is on us.

Put that quote on XFs tombstone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »

That's why I'm not doting on the rating. A Saturday and pathetic time slotting. Serves them right.

Competitive 9pm slot tonight with Downton, This Is England, CBB and Xtra Factor, all which share some aspects of similar demo.
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on, DW (though I'm not a fan in the slightest) is a cult drama that comes on and does its job.

The X Factor is nothing but an irritating PR machine where we are constantly told it's the biggest and most exciting show ever with amazing judges and talent. None of which is remotely true.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Steven Moffat probably doesn't get asked such questions by the media to be fair, although I agree Cowell needs to wind his neck in.

And the second paragraph is all well and good but this is a ratings thread so you can't talk up Doctor Who's timeshift and say X Factor's is meaningless. People get so shouted down whenever the fact X Factor is much better for ITV than Strictly because of the demos, so if that is the case then surely the same should apply here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    That's very true and the main reason is that it has become a very poor watch, full of irrelevant gimmicks and fantasy, I say that as a long time fan (1963 to be precise)

Last nights DW was epic, like a film, based on the most popular story in DW history, Gensis of the daleks. It's not a poor watch . It was gripping drama, Twitter shows that, the plot turns and the nods to Tom Baker age. It will time shift well , DW fans are loyal unlike XF. As it isn't live, and was stand alone in the evenings viewing, live was low, but catch up will be great in the consolidated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Spot on, DW (though I'm not a fan in the slightest) is a cult drama that comes on and does its job.

The X Factor is nothing but an irritating PR machine where we are constantly told it's the biggest and most exciting show ever with amazing judges and talent. None of which is remotely true.
    Agree wish there was a like button here.
This discussion has been closed.